Side Pull Brakes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, check the alignment of the wheel. If the brakes were good before the wheel came off, the wheel might be off to one side. If that isn't it, loosen the nut that attaches the brake assembly to the bike, hold the brake where it should be, and tighten it back down. It may take once or twice to get it just right.

Thanks, it's for display unless I ever get a frame it will fit.

I thought of something else, the brake cable might be binding or need some lube to let it move freely. That could keep the brakes from opening up once you let go of them. See how easily it operates and if it releases fully.

It always seemed to me that it would be the left side touching the rim on the rear and the right side on the front (even with a true wheel). When you tighten the nut that holds the brake to the frame it will spin the post and make your brake off center since the post also holds the spring in place. i bought a wrench from park tools that will hold the brake center in the front while you tighten it in the back in place. like a 90' cone wrench. before i would just pull the brake to the side it was touching on and then tighten it up until it was centered on the bike.

Some brake assemblies come with serrated lock washers and spacers designed to help prevent the brake pivot stem from turning. However with locking nuts (nylock or similar), it's pretty easy to find that the stem turns when tightening.

It's important to watch the spring groove in the bolt and keep it perfectly horizontal when it's tightened up.

Good luck with it.

--Rob

Latest posts

Back