SIDEBOLT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brake wheel cylinders that I ordered just last week arrived. Actually came on Tuesday but I was out when the courier visited, so had to go and pick them up today. Really impressed with the speedy delivery :thumbsup:

024_BrakeCylinder.jpg

I didn't notice until I uploaded the photo how I placed it on the invoice... right over the “MADE IN U.S.A” so only MAD is showing. Is it trying to tell me something o_O

Glen.
Glen, that's "mad" in a kind of crazy, zany, way if I know a little about you from your posts! ;)

Glen, that's "mad" in a kind of crazy, zany, way if I know a little about you from your posts! ;)

Umm... thanks o_O I'll take that as the compliment it is. :)

:whistle:

So, I did a bit more on the fork today. Got it tack welded together and placed it on the wheel to evaluate how I'll mount it...

031_Fork.jpg

I then got some steel and made this mount...

032_ForkMount.jpg

It'll attach to the backing plate like so...

033_ForkMount.jpg

The fork will attach to the mount thusly...

034_Fork.jpg

It'll have extra gusseting and whatnot for strength.

Also, I've decided not to go with bare metal, for three reasons...
  1. I'm quite lazy and it's hard work. :blush:
  2. My flatmate mentioned how noisy I was being, not complaining, just saying. I was already aware of the noise because it was getting to me too and giving me a headache. I also became concerned for my neighbours peaceful enjoyment :angelic:
  3. My epicondylitis is giving me gyp. :cry:
  4. It was always my intention to paint it to match the wheels, so since I had to compromise on my preferred steel, I'll stick with the original colour plan. :cool:
Okay, I know I said three reasons. Consider number 4 a bonus reason.

Glen.

Did some more work on the fork today and took some pictures.

The fork/backing plate mount showing the "quality" :blush: of my welding...
035_ForkMount.jpg

Lining it up for tacking...
036_Fork.jpg

Tacked...
037_Fork.jpg

And some test fit shots...
038_Fork.jpg

039_Fork.jpg

040_Fork.jpg

Might be able to start tacking the frame together soon.

Glen.

The fork/backing plate mount showing the "quality" :blush: of my welding...
035_ForkMount.jpg
Um... :oops: You may want to revisit that one...
I imagine a bike this heavy would really hurt if it fell apart on you!

Luke.

Um... :oops: You may want to revisit that one...
I imagine a bike this heavy would really hurt if it fell apart on you!

Luke.

Yeah... guess you're right. My welding seems to be getting worse rather than better. I've watched videos online about it and just can't get the hang of it.

:(

Glen.

As Luke suggested, I redid the weld on the fork/backing plate mount...

041_ForkMount.jpg

Still not very good and I'm feeling rather degected at the moment. There is soooo much welding to do on this and it needs to be good... just don't think I can do it.

I may have to throw in the towel on this one. :(

Glen.

That fork is massive!!!
Can't wait for the frame!

I hope you can get your welding figured out, it would be a shame not to finish this , as I know personally since I scrapped a fork Idea I had last build off due to my lack of welding skills.

don't get discouraged on the welding.. it just takes a little practice. try and find some scraps to practice with and as Luke said, turn the amps up or drop down a rod size and try and keep your arc length about the same distance as the rod core diameter.

Looks better Glen, but I think you need more heat still! What size rods are you using? It might help to go down a size if your machine cant put out more amps...

Luke.

don't get discouraged on the welding.. it just takes a little practice. try and find some scraps to practice with and as Luke said, turn the amps up or drop down a rod size and try and keep your arc length about the same distance as the rod core diameter.

The welder I have is one of these...

MPWMIG100%20100amp%20Gasless%20Mig%20Welder.jpg

http://repcoequipment.businesscatalyst.com/welding/mech-pro-100amp-gasless-mig-welder

It just has a Max and Min setting and a wire feed speed control.

I might continue, but I'm kind of over it now. I loose interest in things real quick at the best of times, so when things go wrong... it's even quicker.

We'll see.

Glen.

I have one of those hi/low welders,I don't really like mine either. There's a certain sense of satisfaction in doing things yourself,but if all else fails I don't think there's anything in the rules about having someone else do that weld

The welder I have is one of these...

MPWMIG100%20100amp%20Gasless%20Mig%20Welder.jpg

http://repcoequipment.businesscatalyst.com/welding/mech-pro-100amp-gasless-mig-welder

It just has a Max and Min setting and a wire feed speed control.

I might continue, but I'm kind of over it now. I loose interest in things real quick at the best of times, so when things go wrong... it's even quicker.

We'll see.

Glen.

OK.. Turn it to high and think of it like putting down a row of spot welds one after the other without giving it time to cool.. kind of a 1 second move a 1/8 inch , 1 second move an 1/8th, 1 second.... a little practice with some scrap metal goes a long way with one of those.
and if the wire is trying to burn into a little ball on the end you have to turn the feed speed up or back off the work piece a little.. if the speeds too high it will push out too much wire.. try and keep the tip no more than an inch from what your shooting at.

Also clean metal is key.. scrub it good with a wire brush before you go at it..

you'll get it!!

You using any kind of shielding gas? What kind of wire? Hard wire or flux core? Maybe clean the tip and use a setup piece to get feeds and speeds down. Shielding gas would make a massive difference.

Latest posts

Back