*Silent Assassin* - Rear Fender Added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking good. I like all the ways you handle the hiccups in the design. Very interesting.

pacman270 said:
its coming along very nicely.
OneHorsePower said:
Bump!! folowing this :D Amazing so far 8)
ifitsfreeitsforme said:
looking good. I like all the ways you handle the hiccups in the design. Very interesting.
Thanks a lot fellas! I appreciate the support! This build has been quite a challenge, and I know it's been a while since I've posted any updates. Even with my job keeping me busy, I've found some time (believe it or not) to work on the bike. I'm ironing out some minor kinks with the dropouts on the front end as well as hub cap placement on the front wheel. Though I have a long ways to go, slowly but surely progress continues to be made on this project. I hope to have some minor updates posted very soon :)! Thanks again!

Just keep pluggin and chuggin at it!

your gurl is lookin kinda sexy! run those 144 spoke on her, she'll be down-right devestating!!! But i'd go with classic white wall for that "Bomb/Rat" look Paint the whole thing in black primer with red&white pinstripes. Just my 2 cents.... dope as is though!
:mrgreen:
laidbackcool said:
Here's a quick mock-up with the fenders.

My initial concern with the fenders is that they'll limit the wheel and tire size I'm able to use, and that they may draw too much attention away from the tires themselves. I'm also having reservations about the rear truss rods in that they could eliminate the action of the springs. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

randiddle said:
your gurl is lookin kinda sexy! run those 144 spoke on her, she'll be down-right devestating!!! But i'd go with classic white wall for that "Bomb/Rat" look Paint the whole thing in black primer with red&white pinstripes. Just my 2 cents.... dope as is though!
:mrgreen:
laidbackcool said:
Here's a quick mock-up with the fenders.

My initial concern with the fenders is that they'll limit the wheel and tire size I'm able to use, and that they may draw too much attention away from the tires themselves. I'm also having reservations about the rear truss rods in that they could eliminate the action of the springs. Any suggestions are more than welcome!
I truly appreciate the compliment. I really would've loved to utilize the 3-inch wide 144 spoke wheels, but they were simply out of my price range. The regular width 144 spokes is a conventional look on most lowriders, so I opted for a 36-spoke wheel with some reasonable width (about 2.25 inches to be exact). Definitely went with the whitewalls, and so far I'm pleased with how things have turned out.

9496490287_0e0604e37f_z.jpg

The Renaissance Man said:
Looking forward to seeing a rolling picture! Keep it up.

Man, you sure know what to say :D! I will be more than happy when that day finally arrives! I believe I've resolved the issue with hupcap placement on the front wheel and can begin to gradually shift my focus back to the chain, crank, and sprocket. Updates will be posted tomorrow afternoon.

Here are some minor updates with most of the changes being made to the front end of the bike.

Before:
9496490287_0e0604e37f_z.jpg

After:

Finally I was able to place hubcaps on the front wheel and had to make very slight adjustments to the dropouts to account for them. Here's a closer view of the hubcaps:

I also combined the undercarriage of this seat...

8771239480_322bb41e10_z.jpg

...with this seat cushion...

8737086446_57d0f71c76_z.jpg

...in order to come up with this result:

I replaced the L clamps with sturdier L brackets to mount to the truss rods. The extra hole will serve as placement for one of the headlights

That's it for now and can finally focus my attention to the drive train. Till next time 8) !

Front hubs are looking sweet!

My dream bike would be a 60's western flyer that had lowering mounts like yours, what a creation. I love it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

kingfish254 said:
Front hubs are looking sweet!
Colyn. said:
My dream bike would be a 60's western flyer that had lowering mounts like yours, what a creation. I love it!
I really appreciate the positive feedback! I plan on painting the hubs matte black to match the rims. The acorn nuts however will remain as is. I also intend on making the dropout extensions the same color but remain undecided on the color choice?

Machine Age Victim said:
So sexy!! just an idea for the drivetrain, you may want to try a chain pulley on top of the chain stay, rather than under, in order to get it around the new lowered design.
In all likelihood, I will utilize the chain pulley in the manner you suggested. Hopefully, I'll have a better handle on things once I get crank and sprocket assembled. Thanks a lot for the compliment!

The build is still ongoing but at a slow and steady pace. Subtle changes have been made - the fender ornament has been replaced with a headlight and the front braces on the front fender have been removed. I'm still on the fence about adding an ornament and if so which one to use. Hopefully, the bike will be fully assembled for a test ride the next I photos are posted. Until then 8) ....

It's been over a month since my last post. Some unexpected developments have occurred. First, my fiancé (at the time) and I are currently in the process of moving with the possibility or relocating to another state. Last but certainly not least, my fiancé is no longer my fiancé. It's because we recently got married, so now I'm proud and happy to call her my wife!

Today, I was fortunate enough to be off from work. The temperature in Memphis has been unusually warm the last couple of days, so I figured I'd fiddle with my current and ongoing project. Anyone who's been following this thread is quite familiar with the initial mock-up in the first photo. Well, I recently stumbled across a late 30s - early 40s Peerless frame that I had laying around in the shed, and believe it or not, I'm considering making a switch! The initial mock-up with this frame is in the second photo. Feel free to let me know what you guys think!

Before:
9764122623_f412c154f6_z.jpg

After:
11488080293_13246e0c29_z.jpg

CONGRATS on the wedding!
I like the Peerless better too.

Man this bike is coming along soo very nice!! No matter the frame you choose, you surely have a winner of a ride. I lean towards the second pictured frame myself because as stated above it has great lines with your build up. Looking forward to more pictures!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back