*Silent Assassin* - Rear Fender Added

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close to having a rider!!!
Great work on solving the chainline issue cleanly!

Looks good.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man, there's so much going on that I haven't checked in here lately, but wow, this is really looking good!
Nice work LBC! Looking forward to seeing this one finished!
Luke.
Sweet build!
Close to having a rider!!!
Great work on solving the chainline issue cleanly!

This has been a challenging build to say the least, especially factoring my limited budget and level of building acumen (i.e. I can't weld, machine, or fabricate and don't know anyone who can either). Yet it's been very fun to bolt on bits n' pieces to stretch and lower a frame:dance2:!!!...too bad I was unable to have it completed during last year's build off. It had been a while since I was able to view this site let alone work on my build due to the onslaught of curve balls that life has thrown in my direction from the end of 2013 to throughout the first half of 2014. Not sure what prompted me to revisit this site, but when I did it just so happened to be at a time when BO9 was just underway. Checking out threads of all of the great builds not only has helped me get through some rough stretches in my life, but also it rekindled my fire to finish what I set out to do...build a bike that I can be proud of and ride around in the neighborhood :D ! I thank all of you for the kind words, but most importantly I appreciate the wonderful skill level of bike building that all of you present and share with everyone on this great site.

BUILD ON BROTHER!!!

My initial idea for a handlebar and stem combo...

04005.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!g8F!Uf-bK))BQiuHqs6ew~~60_3.JPG
Those bars are awesome!

I LIKE BIKES

Just won these pedals on eBay. I also have some wooden handlebar grips that are similar in color to the pedals. Not sure if I'm going to keep the color shade for the grips and pedals as they are or match them with a black wood stain...

$_57.JPG

I've always wanted wood pedals, and now I got them...fit like a glove. So far, I really like the look of the wood as is and how it plays against the black on the chainring and crank arms. Looks very vintage and I'm leaning towards keeping it that way. Now, I gotta' narrow down my options for a stem and handlebars so I can finally take a test ride. More to come :cool2: !

I think I've settled on using the chopper bars but have spend the past week quarreling over a stem. Since old parts have been removed from the bottom bracket and replaced with a 3-piece crankset, I figured why not utilize a threadless stem adapter for the steer tube area. I'm leaning towards this combination:

Black adapter...

$_35.JPG

...with a raw finished stem...

stem-eastern-throttle-fl-raw-1.jpg

The adapter and stem arrived earlier this week and is already mounted...actually had to flip the stem upside down in order to get it to clear over the front fork spring. Here's the latest photo with repop crossbraces just to get a feel for what the bike looks like with handlebars. I can tell right off the bat that need bars with more of a vertical rise, which may include consideration to acquire ape hangers. Once I settle on the bars, then it will be time for a test ride, and if everything goes as planned, then it will be time to take care of all of the cosmetic aspects of the build.

love this build,its very busy but in a good way,black does'nt seem to suit this build but thats just me,I would prolly give the grips/pedals an aged look and do the rims in mat primer red,diggin the rear suspension set up

love this build,its very busy but in a good way,black does'nt seem to suit this build but thats just me,I would prolly give the grips/pedals an aged look and do the rims in mat primer red,diggin the rear suspension set up
I appreciate the compliment. I actually plan on going bare metal with the frame and cleaning up the rust areas on the front fork, rear suspension, and fenders. Hopefully, the end result turns out as well as I envision.

Hey brother, bike is looking SWWEET! Have you looked at Electra Townie handlebars? They have a decent rise and a good amount of pullback.

PS. Wood pedals.......bangin'
Cheers,
Dr. T

Hey brother, bike is looking SWWEET! Have you looked at Electra Townie handlebars? They have a decent rise and a good amount of pullback.

PS. Wood pedals.......bangin'
Cheers,
Dr. T

I looked at the Townies but wanted a little more pullback than what they appear to provide. Thanks Dr. T. Good to hear from you again!

I bet you are looking forward to that first ride!

Luke.

Luke. Looking forward to it is very much an understatement :D !!!

King, I appreciate the compliment and actually like the first set of bars. We shall see...

After racking my brain for the last few weeks about what handlebars to choose, I always find myself coming back to this set:

$T2eC16ZHJIYE9qUcOuhCBRSKgS1HTw~~60_12.JPG

High Chopper Handlebars. Dimensions: 24.5' wide, 8' center width, 10.5' rise, 12.5' pullback. My initial impression are that they're not too wide from end-to-end as well as in the center, have more than enough rise to give my knees the necessary clearance when I pedal, and the right amount of pullback to where I won't have to experience excessive forward lean when steering.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back