SIL's BDay Present: Que Sera Sera, Done and Delivered

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! Really good to meet you at the swap meet on Sunday. And fun to see some pics of your builds and get a feel for your stuff. Let's do a classic / rat rod bike ride around the lakes some afternoon / evening. :)

Thanks for all the good suggestions on names and style. I'm already behind and she is coming in town July 11th.:eek::eek:
Had some dry weather and some time in between studying and a midterm paper and got the planned out the color scheme flushed out a little more. So I'm going to try a similar scheme to the bell. So in front of the lower blue tape it will be aqua (because I found out women love aqua on last year's bike). It will be a muted pink in back of the upper blue tape.

WF%20paint%20plan.jpg

I got the chain guard stripped and sanded reasonably smooth. got 3 coats of white primer and 3 coats of white gloss.

White%20%20paint.jpg

Am going to reassemble and check the tape lines to get the fork set at the right angle and then start the big tape job. I hope it's worth it and it looks like it does in my head.

Found ape hangers (just stingray bars), crank set and pink pedals for it so I'm almost set for parts, Yeah!

My wife keeps saying "She's really going to like it!!" so that inspires me on.

Thanks for looking
Steve

I'm digging that paint scheme idea. It's atypical but I can picture it looking very cool.

All that matters is if the wife likes it,even if it doesn't turn out like what you have in your head.

Looks great! Once this Biblical type rain fall and flooding stops tonight, the rest of the week looks dry and 70's .....about as good painting weather as we get here in Minnne-so-ta in the mid summer!

Thanks Guys for the input and support. That's why this contest is so cool, it not just the bikes, its the people:):)

So I had to get some class work done but now my SIL is here (drove from Oregon) and we've been trying to hide our activities. My Wife has been helping a lot with the suggesting/checking how paint scheme/things look and cleaning parts. Thanks Honey!!:)

My Wife came up with a great trick for cleaning old plastic parts. She uses Baking Soda (like how she gets the porcelain sink super white again too). Now I know people here love patina, but old plastic can get kinda yellowish and when the rest of the bike is newly painted white, it doesn't look so good. The headlight turned out awesome! She lightly rubs it in with a little water. Most of the rust on the lens came off too:eek::). Sorry guys but the headlight is going to be a DooDad instead of a working light, Style over Function at crunch time;)
IMG_2007.jpg

Then, somehow, I used the wrong fork or different headset (deeper cups and bearings) or something :eek::eek::rolleyes:. I know I had the fork straightened so it's here somewhere (maybe). I guess that's what happens when you have a parts pile... Anyways, I ripped down to Sunrise Cyclery and found another one with the right tube length. It's for a taller tire but it was straight and $5. Ground off the fender loops, stripped it down, and painted it up. I think it looks okay and I like the negative caster rake to it.
IMG_2008.jpg

So I then had all the right pieces to get the angles right for the paint job. Yeah, Kingfish, it's going to be atypical and that was kinda the point. It is the Build Off so I want to try new things. Last year, I was trying to paint 56T two tone like the Chevy by painting the parts a certain way. This year is 3 tone and a little more bold. I masked off the front for the rear "Muted Rose" Rustoleum. Had to custom cut the tape into shapes to get the angles/look right.
IMG_2014.jpg

I used the expensive, higher quality tape at on the edge then the cheaper tape and paper to cover the rest. You can almost see how a tank might look (maybe next year LOL)
IMG_2018.jpg

The paint hasn't been super smooth coats but the rose and aqua are 2X and they seem to "run" a lot easier so "it will be what it is".
IMG_2020.jpg

So with the rear part done, now the hard part of the bottom/front Seaside Rustoleum (similar to the bell style). I installed all the races, bearings, upper/lower cups on the frame/fork to get the final setup right. I used the wide tape again for the angle both front and rear. I tried to eye up the angle closeup then back a ways for perspective. I used the top edge of the wide tape as the guide for the bottom edge of the masking tape. Then lots of cutting, trimming, and custom shapes for the tape to get the side angles to match up with the top and front/back angles.
Aqua%20Lineup.jpg

Well, I barely got the painting done before the big wave of heat and humidity hit. I think the humidity affected the last coat (Of Course! :rolleyes:) but again, it is what it is... It's not suppose to cool down until late next week when my SIL leaves so it was crunch time. I think it came out okay. My wife likes it, so that's the most important thing ;):). I'm the type that likes following the shapes and she likes a more abstract style. I just glad that the angles and paint lines came out reasonably okay.
IMG_2024.jpg

So now all the assembly, hardware, and details (the last two will take most of the time) but I should be done with it by Saturday. Well I better stop jabbering and get my homework done so I can get back to building:)

Thanks for looking
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Guys for the input and support. That's why this contest is so cool, it not just the bikes, its the people:):)

So I had to get some class work done but now my SIL is here (drove from Oregon) and we've been trying to hide our activities. My Wife has been helping a lot with the suggesting/checking how paint scheme/things look and cleaning parts. Thanks Honey!!:)

My Wife came up with a great trick for cleaning old plastic parts. She uses Baking Soda (like how she gets the porcelain sink super white again too). Now I know people here love patina, but old plastic can get kinda yellowish and when the rest of the bike is newly painted white, it doesn't look so good. The headlight turned out awesome! She lightly rubs it in with a little water. Most of the rust on the lens came off too:eek::). Sorry guys but the headlight is going to be a DooDad instead of a working light, Style over Function at crunch time;)
IMG_2007.jpg

Then, somehow, I used the wrong fork or different headset (deeper cups and bearings) or something :eek::eek::rolleyes:. I know I had the fork straightened so it's here somewhere (maybe). I guess that's what happens when you have a parts pile... Anyways, I ripped down to Sunrise Cyclery and found another one with the right tube length. It's for a taller tire but it was straight and $5. Ground off the fender loops, stripped it down, and painted it up. I think it looks okay and I like the negative caster rake to it.
IMG_2008.jpg

So I then had all the right pieces to get the angles right for the paint job. Yeah, Kingfish, it's going to be atypical and that was kinda the point. It is the Build Off so I want to try new things. Last year, I was trying to paint 56T two tone like the Chevy by painting the parts a certain way. This year is 3 tone and a little more bold. I masked off the front for the rear "Muted Rose" Rustoleum. Had to custom cut the tape into shapes to get the angles/look right.
IMG_2014.jpg

I used the expensive, higher quality tape at on the edge then the cheaper tape and paper to cover the rest. You can almost see how a tank might look (maybe next year LOL)
IMG_2018.jpg

The paint hasn't been super smooth coats but the rose and aqua are 2X and they seem to "run" a lot easier so "it will be what it is".
IMG_2020.jpg

So with the rear part done, now the hard part of the bottom/front Seaside Rustoleum (similar to the bell style). I installed all the races, bearings, upper/lower cups on the frame/fork to get the final setup right. I used the wide tape again for the angle both front and rear. I tried to eye up the angle closeup then back a ways for perspective. I used the top edge of the wide tape as the guide for the bottom edge of the masking tape. Then lots of cutting, trimming, and custom shapes for the tape to get the side angles to match up with the top and front/back angles.
Aqua%20Lineup.jpg

Well, I barely got the painting done before the big wave of heat and humidity hit. I think the humidity affected the last coat (Of Course! :rolleyes:) but again, it is what it is... It's not suppose to cool down until late next week when my SIL leaves so it was crunch time. I think it came out okay. My wife likes it, so that's the most important thing ;):). I'm the type that likes following the shapes and she likes a more abstract style. I just glad that the angles and paint lines came out reasonably okay.
IMG_2024.jpg

So now all the assembly, hardware, and details (the last two will take most of the time) but I should be done with it by Saturday. Well I better stop jabbering and get my homework done so I can get back to building:)

Thanks for looking
Steve
Looks great

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

Aqua%20Lineup.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

Thanks for looking
Steve
Looks awesome Steve! The colors remind me of the taffy we used to get at the Five and Dime (Ben Franklin) or the Fruit Stripe gum...that's it! Fruit Stripe! Inventive and abstract use of paint lines, kudos to your wife / co-builder! Can't remember, is there a basket? I love rust, but am anxious to use a colorful paint scheme on my next build now that I have seen this! Well done!:thumbsup:

Paint looks just like the bell.
Thanks for the baking soda tip.
Get that homework done before Principal Belding makes you stay after school with Zack.

Hey, Thanks a lot guys!! :):)
Maybe I'll get Saved by the bell, hey Kingfish?:p

My Wife finally named it: "Que Sera Sera" It has SIL's nickname and it was their Mom's favorite song.

Well, no homework done today, about 8 hours putting it together but it's a roller!! Every part of the assembly had some issue :eek::rolleyes:. Oh well, it's almost done.

My Wife says it's rolls really nice and I think so too (I'm kinda surprised LOL). I geared it easy (46-20) and it's not toooo heavy (~32lbs) so it only has cruising speed. It's got stable handling and the riding position is really comfortable.

IMG_2028.jpg

We decided that the headlight DodDad didn't really work. Got to get the bell and headbadge on yet. My Wife is going to get some lettering for the chain guard. Now my Wife is thinking a (white) basket too but that might be next week.

IMG_2032.jpg

Can't wait to see SIL's face when she sees it!
I'm really tired, it'll be so worth it.
Thanks for looking
Steve

That seat looks great on there too.
Nice work! She's gonna love it!

Latest posts

Back