Simpleton - the straightforward straightbar! - Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This year I'm building a simple klunker/cruiser out of an old Schwinn straightbar frame that I've had forever and whatever parts I can dig up...

So far I have this frame:

IMG_1177_zpscbb18913.jpg

This fork I found over the weekend at a swap meet:

IMG_1180_zps145ba050.jpg

This nice B-72 (They just look right on a klunker):

IMG_1178_zps0ef10ead.jpg

These old cranks - although the left arm might have an issue so they may not stay:

IMG_1179_zps432d4dcc.jpg

Let the games begin! :D

Re: Simpleton - the straightforward straightbar!

Nice parts so far, the paint on that frame looks great too, are you keeping it original ?

Having a sub competition for the klunker group if you want in.

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=72127

CCR said:
Nice parts so far, the paint on that frame looks great too, are you keeping it original ?

Having a sub competition for the klunker group if you want in.

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=72127

Sure! I'll play with the other klunker guys! :D

The original paint will stay unless I really like the way the bike rides then it will get a little flashier.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming...

I like the look of truss rods on klunkers. I have had these old rods from a late 30's Elgin for about 22 years. They were covered in several coats of housepaint. This is what was underneath all of the paint:

IMG_1181_zps98efca5f.jpg

The black fork just wasn't cutting it so it underwent the same treatment as the truss rods. Both will get a few coats of Krylon ivory spaypaint:

IMG_1182_zpse2fabe2f.jpg

xddorox said:
Of course for you guys, these frames grow on trees. :) Very cool starting point.

Not as common as they used to be and getting expensive too. I was holding out for a pre-war DX for this build off but those trees have long been harvested... :roll:

After several trips to the parts bins, I was able to dig up enough trinket items to get everybody playing nicely with each other. Here's what I have so far. :)

IMG_1185_zpsdcd4a8f6.jpg

Headset/truss detail. I bought the cable stop for another project long ago and it didn't work the way I wanted it to. I finally have a use for it!

IMG_1184_zps3b419317.jpg

I bought one of these 7 speed wheels during the big Electra sale last winter. I think it may have a new home.

0414131505_zps925eea5c.jpg

That's all for now. More to come!

Welcome to Klunkerville! Looks great. What's wrong with the crank arm, they look great, I'd love to have them.

yoothgeye said:
Welcome to Klunkerville! Looks great. What's wrong with the crank arm, they look great, I'd love to have them.

The square hole doesn't look so square on the left arm. It may have been ridden loose by the previous owner. The first ride will tell if it's going to stay put or need replaced. They're also 165's with might be a little short for this build.

Looking good, i like the way that fork looks with the truss rods.

truss rod clamp an rods are awesome!! this a sweet build

Troy

looking good man. Keep up the good work.
Kenny

Had a pretty decent day for working and got a little more done.

Found a set of junior Schwinn BMX bars and an old NOS chrome stem. I'm currently using the same bars on my other klunker. They are a perfect rise and width for me.
IMG_1188_zps9e1874c4.jpg

My spokes arrived yesterday so I got the gold Ukai rim laced to the 7 speed hub.
IMG_1190_zpsc879c15a.jpg

These clear Oury grips have been sitting around waiting for a project to come along...
IMG_1192_zpsf03c529b.jpg

I'm having a pedal dilemma. Do I use the clear plastic pedals that match the grips, the way cool "wah wah" pedals, or the old school Shimano MX-15's?
IMG_1191_zps3ef6ecda.jpg

Starting to look like something:
IMG_1189_zpsc90b4b60.jpg

Handling the front braking chores will be a Shimano STX lever with the shifter pod mount removed.
IMG_1193_zps7bb1fe3b.jpg

Front brakes are old school Dia-Compe cantis with new Kool Stop salmon pads.
IMG_1194_zpsd73d89a9.jpg

Getting a little cranky with a heavy duty KMC chain:
IMG_1195_zpsae2961f9.jpg

These little Knog lights will keep the lines of the bike clean and keep me from getting hit if I venture out after dark. How can you go wrong with a name like "Blinder"? 8)
IMG_1196_zps48c8d933.jpg

+1 on the bmx pedals, where did you get the nashbar wah wah pedals? Awesome pedals

eparsons said:
+1 on the bmx pedals, where did you get the nashbar wah wah pedals? Awesome pedals

My wife got them from Nashbar a few years ago for my birthday. They are very cool but they don't look right on this bike. I've been waiting for something to come along where I can use them. Maybe RRBO #9? :roll:

I put the clear pedals on for now but I think the MX-15's will be the way to go. I want to overhaul them first.

Latest posts

Back