Simplistic Speed, 100% done, pics posted! **Lightweight**

Feb 23, 2011
710
250
Re: Simplistic Speed, Side project distraction. **Lightweight**

Loving it so far.

This has got to be my favorite build this year. :)

Been collecting parts for a lightweight / path racer / guvnor type build, but this makes fo reven more thought-fodder.

keep up the great work . a true winner.
 
Aug 23, 2012
582
709
Kansas City
Re: Simplistic Speed, Side project distraction. **Lightweight**

Green Dragon said:
Loving it so far.

This has got to be my favorite build this year. :)

Been collecting parts for a lightweight / path racer / guvnor type build, but this makes fo reven more thought-fodder.

keep up the great work . a true winner.
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I'm really looking forward to finishing it.
 
Jun 17, 2011
223
177
Massachusetts
Re: Simplistic Speed, Side project distraction. **Lightweight**

Thanks for the shout out on my bike. You have a crazy build go on, you lost your mind I hope you never find it. :lol:
 
Aug 23, 2012
582
709
Kansas City
Re: Simplistic Speed, Side project distraction. **Lightweight**

PeterBuilt said:
Thanks for the shout out on my bike. You have a crazy build go on, you lost your mind I hope you never find it. :lol:
:lol: Thanks! If you can't so something different then it's already been done.
SSG said:
Nice! I especially like the wood rims.
Thanks!!

I also added a link in the reply at the top of this page to the side project I've been working on while waiting on parts.
 
Aug 23, 2012
582
709
Kansas City
Re: Simplistic Speed, Found pedals! **Lightweight**

I found some quill pedals that would work with the 1/2inch cranks, Wellgo 888s.

Unfortunately they only come in black


So, I removed the black and "aged" them with a brushed/polished finish
 
Feb 25, 2009
8,074
680
Connecticut
Re: Simplistic Speed, Found pedals! **Lightweight**

How did I miss this whole build??? :shock:


Nice work so far, has a real classic, clean look to it :wink:
 
Aug 23, 2012
582
709
Kansas City
Re: Simplistic Speed, Found pedals! **Lightweight**

carrotsnax said:
Good deal dude, when are you lacing up those beautiful rims?! :p
Waiting on one part but I'm renting a truing stand and won't have time to do it till next weekend, blah. I hope those grips work out for you
SCHWINNRAY69 said:
How did I miss this whole build??? :shock:


Nice work so far, has a real classic, clean look to it :wink:
Thank you, can't wait to see it all come together! I don't know where the rock was but I've been here :wink:
 
Aug 23, 2012
582
709
Kansas City
Re: Simplistic Speed, Found pedals! **Lightweight**

Thank you both! I'm glad I went with something simple for my first documented build. Next year will certainly be more complicated then this, and in the anything goes section.
 
Jan 23, 2011
3,093
3,233
Philly
Re: Simplistic Speed, Complete Mock-up **Lightweight Build-off**

AND SHE WAS SO NICE!! MAN SHE WAS LOVEY DOVEY!! PEACE
 
Aug 23, 2012
582
709
Kansas City
Re: Simplistic Speed, Complete Mock-up **Lightweight Build-off**

kingfish254 said:
Thanks! I'm still thinking it might look pretty good with a carbide lamp ;)
Jake Sensi said:
AND SHE WAS SO NICE!! MAN SHE WAS LOVEY DOVEY!! PEACE
Ha! That song would play 10 times a day at a job I used to have
rat-a-tac said:
amazing looking build. have you taken it off any sweet jumps yet?
Thank you! Not yet, should I do the Klunker pic with it? :lol:
 
Nov 21, 2011
144
15
Richmond/Staunton, VA
Re: Simplistic Speed, Complete Mock-up **Lightweight Build-off**

looks good dude, are those rims "clincher" style? What size are they and what size are the tires? A carbide lamp would be cool. I look forward to you riding it, I have questions for you when you do. I am curious how much they will flex, I hear riding on new wood rims are similar to having a sprung frame.

Whats left? Nuts for front axle and?? your butt on the seat? :lol:
 
Aug 23, 2012
582
709
Kansas City
Re: Simplistic Speed, Complete Mock-up **Lightweight Build-off**

carrotsnax said:
looks good dude, are those rims "clincher" style? What size are they and what size are the tires? A carbide lamp would be cool. I look forward to you riding it, I have questions for you when you do. I am curious how much they will flex, I hear riding on new wood rims are similar to having a sprung frame.

Whats left? Nuts for front axle and?? your butt on the seat? :lol:
Thank you! Yes, these are clinchers, the biggest difference is they limit the tire psi to <65, due to the strength of the wall (there's carbon reinforced rims that can take much more pressure). There's also no lip on the inside wall so you have to use a steel bead tire. The rims are 700x30c the tires are 700x38c Specialized Hemispheres. They should flex, they're made to, and you should only have 50-60kgf of spoke tension to allow them to. Here's a pretty good write up about riding on them: http://www.roadbikeaction.com/Features/ ... heels.html I was just thinking this morning that they would be fun to lace up a set for my 29er but I don't know how they would handle big hits.

oh, and as far as what's left to do to the bike, the wheels are just laced, not trued, and I need to get the chainring cut.