Simplistic Speed, 100% done, pics posted! **Lightweight**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Simplistic Speed, Complete Mock-up **Lightweight Build-off**

Machine Age Victim said:
There's just something soulful about wood!

here's a couple more from the mock up, these show the color of the wood better
Build27.jpg

Build28.jpg
Hey I'm really liking the wood rims and the AIR spokes. There was a vendor at the NAHBS with several different styles. Neat stuff.

Cool, thanks for the info! I am also using 700c rims but aluminum with 700c x 38 tires! I think that size for our builds is pretty much perfect!

man! that is looking great!
i've been kicking around 2 or 3 ideas about pedals and ruined 1 pair tryin :lol:
yer solution is nice. i might have to steal....uhhh...i mean borrow that idea :wink:

fordsnake said:
Awesome build...nicely done.

Thank you, much appreciated!

MazdaFlyer"} Hey I'm really liking the wood rims and the AIR spokes. There was a vendor at the NAHBS with several different styles. Neat stuff.[/quote] That was likely Wheel Fanatyk said:
Cool, thanks for the info! I am also using 700c rims but aluminum with 700c x 38 tires! I think that size for our builds is pretty much perfect!

No problem, Fyxation makes a nice set of white tires.

beatcad said:
man! that is looking great!
i've been kicking around 2 or 3 ideas about pedals and ruined 1 pair tryin :lol:
yer solution is nice. i might have to steal....uhhh...i mean borrow that idea :wink:

I was hoping you would see my solution, "borrow" away!

Nothing too visually different from the last photo. I was able to ride it, it's very strange. My knees rise above my hands :lol: I still need to work out the cutting of the chainring, build the head badge and I have two bicycle carbide lamps on their way from Holland :wink:

Re: Simplistic Speed, Let there be lights! **Lightweight Build**

Very nicely done. I like the fact that you had an idea in mind and have gathered the pieces to make a commendable version. This is one of the more interesting builds I have seen.

lovin the classic look and color combination....Nice bike... :D
Simplicity at its finest...

cledry said:
Very nicely done. I like the fact that you had an idea in mind and have gathered the pieces to make a commendable version. This is one of the more interesting builds I have seen.

Thanks, it came out pretty close to what I had pictured in my head.

Funkme said:
lovin the classic look and color combination....Nice bike... :D
Simplicity at its finest...

Thanks, I really like your build too.

Thank you, can't wait to see them on the bike!

Here's what I did today after cleaning the lamps, should finish up tomorrow or Monday.
I took apart a 100lumen Rayovac headlamp and drilled a hole from the bottom chamber of the front lamp, then ran a wire through the hole.
Build37.jpg

Then put just the LED part in the head and the battery/circuit board in the bottom chamber.
Build38.jpg

I'll use a mason jar bottom for the lens on the front and some red glass for the tail, I don't want to drill another hole so the only way to turn the light on is to unscrew the bottom chamber, not too bad for now

I did a test cut on the spare/test chain ring I recently picked up and it cut like butter. I'm going to give the design a go and see how well it holds up before I move on to the good one.
build39.jpg

What a brilliant idea!
I hope you are able to cut it all out.

Looks good but might you want some thermal adhesive for the LED star module to the back for heatsinking.

kingfish254 said:
What a brilliant idea!
I hope you are able to cut it all out.

Thanks, I'm stoked it cut so easily, hopefully it will still be strong enough once it's "lightened."

socal_jack said:
Looks good but might you want some thermal adhesive for the LED star module to the back for heatsinking.

Good call! I hadn't even thought about that. It does get pretty hot and there was thermal grease behind it holding it to the board. I'll go check out some thermal epoxies. Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Back