Simplistic Speed, 100% done, pics posted! **Lightweight**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I'll throw my hat into the "traditional" ring. I've been a roadie since I could first ride, it's in my blood (as well as muscle memory). I've also loved the bikes that were built in the era when cycling was the most popular sport in America, the early 1900's. Some of the features on these bikes are still used today, some not so much. I do think, though, that I currently have the capacity (see budget, skill) to do a respectable homage.

I've narrowed in on a particular bike, a Racycle, which was built in the same factory as Miami Cycles. It has some unique features (80-tooth chainring) and colors scheme which should make for an interesting goal.
GEDC1341-1.jpg

Parts list (planned, on it's way and acquired):
Paint same color as above
1938-46 Schwinn New World frame and fork
Prewar Schwinn stem
Moustache handlebar
Wood grips
Wald 13/16 seat post
Hairpin Springer seat, black leather
AS Schwinn seat binder bolt
1-piece crank
65-tooth chainring
Pedals
French 36h front hub
Nickle chain
1960's Bendix, 36h kick-back two-speed coaster brake (should help a bit with the large chainring)
CB Italia viaggio wood rims, 700c 36h clinchers
Spokes
Specialized Hemisphere 700x38c white tires
Custom headbadge

Target cost: $300

So far, I have the frame, fork and a couple small parts. Here's some sample tire fitting photos.
frame2.jpg

frame1.jpg

frame3.jpg

Re: Simplistic Speed (a Miami Cycles/Racycle homage build)

I love my Racycle. The Pacemaker model had a 40 tooth chainring, not 80. It was skip tooth, after all. It also had a 13 tooth rear cog, so the ratio was about the same as a regular bike. I put a 65T Exerciser chainring on Hood Rat last year, and I also used Bendix kickback hub. The low gear makes it feel about normal, so that should work for you pretty well.

I'll be watching this one with interest!

deven_science said:
I love my Racycle. The Pacemaker model had a 40 tooth chainring, not 80. It was skip tooth, after all. It also had a 13 tooth rear cog, so the ratio was about the same as a regular bike. I put a 65T Exerciser chainring on Hood Rat last year, and I also used Bendix kickback hub. The low gear makes it feel about normal, so that should work for you pretty well.

Thanks, I saw your build! I understood a 40 skip-tooth (1inch links) = a modern 80 tooth (1/2inch links), I could be totally wrong on this.

This is going to be a nice one to watch.
Good luck.

i dig it! i'll be watching closely also.

love Racycles, can't wait to see it.

Machine Age Victim said:
deven_science said:

Thanks, I saw your build! I understood a 40 skip-tooth (1inch links) = a modern 80 tooth (1/2inch links), I could be totally wrong on this.

No, you're totally right. I was just clarifying the skip tooth portion.

We're good here. ;)

Re: Simplistic Speed **Lightweight sub build-off**

Did some grinding and filing to the front brake mount, it'll be filled before paint.
build4.jpg

Also, did a little polishing to the rear hub. This thing is heavy, it weighs more than the frame!
build5.jpg

Should be getting almost all the parts in this week, then I'll be able to measure for the right spoke length. I have a plan to go to the sandblaster this Saturday morning and made my paint selection choice.

Machine Age Victim said:
deven_science said:
No, you're totally right. I was just clarifying the skip tooth portion.

We're good here. ;)

What was the rear tooth count on your Bendix?

I'm not sure. I sold the bike a few months ago.

Nice build!

Cool! wooden grips, that something I also need for my racer :roll:

Thanks for all the interest. I'm just hoping I can do the original proud.

I'm also still up in the air about what pedals to go with. I'd love to find some vintage quills but they could be pricey and should be on an authentic bike. Is there a modern equivalency?

Just figured out how to follow/subscribe to certain threads. Definitely following this one. Really like the direction you're headed with your build. Paying attention to details like painting the grip's metal to match the frame... excellent. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Where are you sourcing a chainring from? I love the look of a larger sprocket, but I'm having difficulty finding one.

SpokeAndTruth said:
Just figured out how to follow/subscribe to certain threads. Definitely following this one. Really like the direction you're headed with your build. Paying attention to details like painting the grip's metal to match the frame... excellent. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Thank you, the devil is definitely in the details on this build (I'm using a bent spoke for the coaster brake arm clamp shhhhh :wink: )

Bluemustang21 said:
Where are you sourcing a chainring from? I love the look of a larger sprocket, but I'm having difficulty finding one.

Someone told me about the 1960's Schwinn Exercise bikes having a 65-tooth chainring, after not finding one for sale through searches I posted a wanted ad and someone came through. You may want to look at the previous build offs, there's some that were used and this is the time of year that some of them may be getting parted out. Just an idea.

Latest posts

Back