Single Speed Road Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Road Bike has quite a few advantages. It's light, and the narrow tires roll very easily. The riding position can be aggressive with drop bars, or upright with North road type bars. A Road Bike's problem is it's complicated.

I can see the allure of a fixie's simplicity, but frankly, my knees can't take the abuse from skidding a fix. Not to mention it's sometimes great to just coast. Putting a front brake on a fixie just complicates the bike to me.

So, I tried a different approach.

I laced a coaster brake into the rear wheel, put a single speed chainwheel on with a 1/8 inch chain, and got rid of all the cables and complexity. It worked so well I built three. Here they are.

Raleigh Grand Prix
RaleighGrandPrixSingleSpeed.jpg

Armstrong
armstrongbybrick43512.jpg

Raleigh Super Sport
raleighSUPERcourse73133.jpg

The result was a quick, easily rideable bike that was about as complex as a spoon.

Cool bikes! I'm rethinking the fixie thing as well. I find myself sore in places I didn't know could get sore, only for me it was my hips. Maybe I'm just to old for this sort of thing! I converted one of my bikes to a single speed with a front brake for now.

Love the shellaced cork grips... thinking about doing that to my current bike build as well. Are they comfortable like that? And is that an old spoon or something attached to the reflector :shock: ! Thats kinda cool!

Yes, the reflector bracket is an old silver spoon. I liked the contrast between the rough bike and the refined spoon.

The cork grips are marginally more comfortable than the Hunt-Wilde rubber type grips. They are nothing to brag about, just a different style. For comfort I would go with leather covered foam.

Xavier said:
Yes, the reflector bracket is an old silver spoon. I liked the contrast between the rough bike and the refined spoon.

The cork grips are marginally more comfortable than the Hunt-Wilde rubber type grips. They are nothing to brag about, just a different style. For comfort I would go with leather covered foam.
i really liked the silver spoon thing
who came up with that?

Cool bikes. Makes alot of sense. I have seen those posted before at ratemybicycle

Nice work! I had a similar Armstrong three-speed as a kid, and I recently helped a friend restore this one.

armstrong01.JPG

Great minds think alike! :lol: I had the same but smaller Raleigh Grand Prix and wanted to go fixed but I tore my left ACL last year and didn't think it would be such a good idea. I used 26" wheels though. Nice bikes!
DSC03007.jpg

Latest posts

Back