>>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>> done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: >>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>> Tankplate/scallops , mock-up

yoothgeye said:
I sent him a PM last week... nothing. :|

ouch guys....
didn't knhow I had so many comments and pm's. Thanks for your concern. I'm okay :)
It's just been a terribly busy month for me. Expo's. events, trips, assignements, and hollidays. Also The Netherlands are having very bad weather... Many cold days filled with rain, Not good for building bikes. ...but it looks like summer will return in a few days. I think I haven't logged into RRB for more than a month. :-( Shame on me. More so because I find it important to keep a build-log in the build off. As you've probably guessed, nothing has changed on the hotrod. Till yesterday that is...

Because of relentless nagging of my friends I have become a Facebookmember. I found some some rrb-members and it was fellow Dutchman Badmuller's Petty-tribute rrbbo-bike posted on FB that triggered me to TRY and finish mine... Yesterday seemed like a dry enough day so I went and bought a primer and a color that would mostly fit my initial choices. 'reseda green'. I always thought it was an ugly/plastic-like color, but the tint came out different and I think it's just perfect. But because of the deadline coming up and me being very impatient ragarding painting, I kinda messed it up... I think I didn't let acrylic primer cure long enough before putting on the alcyd-paint on top of it. Result: discolorisation (is that a word??) Today I got up early to work on the bike before my 'real job' starts, but it's way to foggy and moist outside...

We'll just see what happens.

---

I haven't been following your builds either... so I'm really looking forward to getting up to date on them. But for my build's sake I'm not going to look at them, for I know for sure I will be blown away...

Good luck to those who are putting the finishing touches on the bikes.
See you guys soon.
:)

Re: >>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>> Me and my big mouth...

Good to hear that you're managing to get some work done. And good luck in getting it completed.

See you at the finish line. I hope.

Cheers Jonnie

How about introducing yourself in the INTRO section, letting us know who you are. :lol:

Glad your back, we were getting worried.

KOTA said:
How about introducing yourself in the INTRO section, letting us know who you are. :lol:

:shock: :lol:
This kind of humor is what I missed the most while not visiting the forum the last couple of weeks/months...
Kota rules.

---

Today I had some more paint issues... Maybe not to my usual standard (if that's worth anything) but I AM getting this bike finished! I hope to have it up and running today. I'm not religeous or anything but to those who are: Please say a prayer for some luck on my chainlenght...
;-)

See you guys soon...

Don't want this to sound bad towards your bike, but I don't care about your bike, just glad you're alright. I know the build will come out great. And yes, discoloration is a word.

Welcome back.

Oh, since you aren't looking at build right now, I'll fill you in on what you missed. My bike has become so awesome and everyone else has slacked off so bad that everyone agreed as a forum to give me all their first votes. :mrgreen:

gazelle_recent_1-1.jpg

^ Before and after...

---

So where was I...

gazelle_28_a.jpg

^ Sanding...

gazelle_28_b.jpg

^ Primer...

gazelle_28_c.jpg

^ First layer of the final color: 'Reseda Green'. (I remember seeing a lot of green bikes in this years build-off... oh well..) A color that didn't look good in the store, but is surprisingly close to what I was after to get that mid-centuryvibe. It looks good with the cream tires and the color compliments the black parts.

Also, I still had to finish the parts that make up my rearfender.

gazelle_28_d.jpg

^ Making sure I painted all the spots you normaly don't get to see, I turned the frame around to spray the rest.

...but, impatient as I am, I did the color too so the color isn't as even as I'd like it to be... Also some spots of craze which I think is terrible. I want the bike to have an authentic look, so I'm thinking about a light relic-job. Don't worry, It's just to take off some of the showroom-shine. The green is just so glossy...

gazelle_28_f.jpg

gazelle_28_e.jpg

^ Also, the tires got a new coat of paint.

...but, some more mishaps... I had one wheel hanging from a tree, and while I was spraying it rally-black I bumped it out of the hookes that held it in the air. The wheel het the floor and like a good tentioned hoop is supposed to do, it bounced on the other side. Damage... So I had to sand and paint some spots again.

gazelle_29_a.jpg

^ Just before it started to rain again/some more (...) I managed to put the bike together again.

gazelle_29_b.jpg

^ The fender complete and finished in black. Works well with the Reseda green and the cream tires.

gazelle_29_c.jpg

gazelle_29_d.jpg

gazelle_29_e.jpg

^ I feel that it's always tricky to paint wheels, but black always comes out mighty fine.

gazelle_29_f.jpg

^ So... I guess I'm back.

I hope to finish all the things I had in mind for the bike. So I have to find time to make a tankplate and some numberplates. And I think I have a great idea for grips. Fingers crossed...

Oh, and some of you didn't pray hard enough for my chainlenght. I removed a link and now it's too short. So, if I can't get my hands on a halflink, my homemade chaintensioner will find it's way back on the bike. It works perfect, and I thought it looked funky. I'm kinda proud of that thing. Problem with that thing is, it's very hard to get it in the right possition...
VERY HARD...

Re: >>> SINGLESPEED HOTROD >>> Tankplate/scallops , mock-up

Wolf's Den Garage said:
Build is looking sick! But a true hot rod wouldn't run fenders...just sayin'. I love the look of it at the beginning when it was nice and smooth with the stripped down look.

I think you're right. BUT... you'll be amazed to see the amount of highboy hotrods running some sort of bobbed fenders, mudguards, or motorcyclefenders in the old days. Really, you should find some vintage magazines or books and check it out. But I think it's different on a bike though. Otherwise, you'll just have a bike with no fenders. That doesn't make it a hotrod anytime sooner than running fenders.

deorman said:
Anybody else on Myspace? this is my only "social networking" spot and I plan to keep it that way.

Good idea :) All these social network stuff steals valluable bikebuilding time...

D.amn that's a beautiful ride!

yoothgeye said:
Oh, since you aren't looking at build right now, I'll fill you in on what you missed. My bike has become so awesome and everyone else has slacked off so bad that everyone agreed as a forum to give me all their first votes. :mrgreen:

Now That's Funny.....

Glad to see you and your bike back....That green is pretty perfect for your project, I think...
Looking Good.... :)

Hey Herr_Rudolh,

Glad to here your back.
The color is awesome. And with the black, it really pops. 8)

BTW: Some Hot Rods look awesome with fenders, yours in particular!

Good luck with the chain, it just needs to work at this point
If your proud of your homemade tensioner, you should use it.

The brick background really enhances the look of your bike.

Keep up the good work.

My only regret about this build is..We can't see you "sweating" right now. :lol:

KOTA said:
My only regret about this build is..We can't see you "sweating" right now. :lol:

Just be glad you could'n smell me working on the finishing touches...

Thanks guys for all the kind words. I really enjoyed this Build off despite my abcense for a month. I really missed a lot. When I browsed through the finished-section I realised how much I have missed. Bikes looking like I've never seen before. Lots of cool transformations. I still haven't check the buildthreads so I really haven't got I clue which bikes I still get to see...

Latest posts

Back