Slammed Schwinn Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good , I've been wanting to build one myself , I dig the stance , looks like you might have had to resort to a shorter crank length ?
I dig it !

Rafael

Love it! Did you custom make the rear drop brackets?
Long story. I looked at Tom’s build and concluded that this sort of fabrication was beyond me. I considered getting a local machine shop to water jet a pair of extensions, but the cost was prohibitive. I also decided that Tom’s work was too ‘busy’ for my eye, and that in reality all I needed was a basic triangle. So I started searching the Internet for triangles.

I went down the rabbit hole of suspension lowering linkages for sports bikes, got nowhere in the end, then went back to this old adage: add ‘Harley Davidson’ to your search string if you want anything in chrome. And bingo, these are sissy bar backrest mounts. Cheap, and even the holes were the right size. I also thought Tom’s go-cart steering rods were too beefy, so again searching under Harley, I found these gear shift linkages for bikes running forward controls. Available in dozens of profiles, lengths and finished. Then it was just a matter of cranking on the frame to get the right bend and right height, and welding the trusses and the shift linkage mount where they fell.

Looks good , I've been wanting to build one myself , I dig the stance , looks like you might have had to resort to a shorter crank length ?
I dig it !

Rafael
Yes, I bought a 3.5” crank, but it’s comically short. I’ll get a 4.5 and a 5.5 and try them out.

Well done, very cool. How is it riding something like this? Everytime I come back to this thread I like it more.

What kind of clear coat are you guys using with the spray paint? I feel like the rustoleum clears don’t hold up.
Lots of good stuff on YouTube. This is Spray Max 2K Clear that contains a catylist that needs to be punctured and mixed before you spray. It’s a very good product.

Well done, very cool. How is it riding something like this? Everytime I come back to this thread I like it more.
Kicking the forks out this far makes it steer slow, but it carves wonderfully when rolling down a hill. The bottom bracket is is about 4” lower than normal, and that will limit your crank length. I started with a 3.5” crank, but it doesn’t need to be this short. New one on order.

Awesome! Really, *really* like the sissy bar backrest mount dropouts and thinner linkage. Bet they're considerably lighter than the route I took and they look great.

Latest posts

Back