slamschwinnburrito/ new pics !!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
im am so in !! i have been waiting for a build like this ill be posting pics soon ! i started with a mid 80's 26"schwinn criuser and a 20" x-games dirt bike.im super siked evan i lost my job im woreried but im not because god's got a plan for me . so good luck and god bless.

Re: slamschwinnburrito

the x-games bike with the suspension and disc brakes? i've played with one of those and have another cowering in the garage (the sawzall's been threatening it. she's so bad).

it'll be interesting to see what you do.

cant wait to see it man.

this is what i have done so far tell me what ya think.
IBikes4.jpg
kes2.jpg[/IMG]
IBikes3.jpg
2.jpg
r/3.jpg[/IMG]
IBikes10.jpg
IBikes6.jpg
IBikes9.jpg
IBikes8.jpg
IBIkes7.jpg

looks like youve got a really nice looking build going(from what i can see with the smallest pictures ever :wink: )
looks like you should load them up bigger so we can see some of what looks to be really nice work

Re: slamschwinnburrito/ now with pics !!

too small, need bigger please. thanks

Outlaw

still waiting. :p looks like a good start from what i can see.

ok hope this works
DSCI0335.jpg
DSCI0336.jpg
DSCI0338.jpg
00.photobucket.com/albums/nn37/pedaldragger/DSCI0337.jpg[/IMG][/img]
DSCI0339.jpg
DSCI0340.jpg
DSCI0341.jpg
DSCI0343.jpg
DSCI0344.jpg
DSCI0345.jpg

Re: slamschwinnburrito/ now with big pics !!

if a bomb went off in there the only way you would know there was a body is because it would be wet!!!
cool work for such a small shop!! :wink:

jon said:
if a bomb went off in there the only way you would know there was a body is because it would be wet!!!

LiL organisation required me thinkz, plenty of room there
how will the suspension work on the bike as far as travel goes
doesn't appear to be a great deal of clearance from bottom tube to the ground, soon as you sit on it
wont it bottom out?

Best of luck *subscribed*

KiM

wow nice work i dig the seat pan setup. as for your work area dont worry mine looks about that GOOD :lol: i was told by a hot rod builder once that you can tell the builders that are always thinking of things and building stuff because they never put anything away. i call it controlled insanity

AussieJester said:
jon said:

LiL organisation required me thinkz, plenty of room there
how will the suspension work on the bike as far as travel goes
doesn't appear to be a great deal of clearance from bottom tube to the ground, soon as you sit on it
wont it bottom out?

Best of luck *subscribed*

KiM
i like all my bikes super low but the spring on has a 650lb limit most are less than half that.

karfer67 said:
wow nice work i dig the seat pan setup. as for your work area dont worry mine looks about that GOOD :lol: i was told by a hot rod builder once that you can tell the builders that are always thinking of things and building stuff because they never put anything away. i call it controlled insanity
thanks comp and as they say great minds think alike !

I'm really likin your build. Low is good, dumped is better. My lab (aka shop area) is also in a state of organized chaos, If I spend time cleaning, nothing gets done and I just mess it up again anyway. If you have any time, please clue me in on the spring you are using, specs, suppliers, etc. I'm having trouble springing my swing arm on my current build. We're looking forward to your next set of pics.

Spring rates explained: As per Rock Shok's website 350lbs, 400lbs, 450lbs, 500lbs, 550lbs, 600lbs, 650lbs, 700lbs, and 750lbs. These are rates per inch of travel and most all bike shock springs are designed only for about 2-3 inches of travel before total compression. The trick is your not taking into to consideration the other factors involved with suspension design, such as mechanical advantage, shock incline angle, swingarm to shock travel ratio, or the original intended use for the shock. (All these things can be figured out by searching google for "Spring rate calculator" for motorcycles or bikes)

A better quality shock such as one made from Rock Shok can be had for as little as $100 and are very adjustable and can be had with the many different spring rates listed above. The cheap Chinese made $10 no name shocks are really just "po-go" sticks, zero adjustment, zero or flat out minimal damping and who knows what the spring rate is. You'd be much better off using cheap Chinese shock to suspend your seat and make the frame a rigid than what you've done here.

Also are you a midget? Have you even taken a minute to measure the distance between the seat and the potential BB position? I guess comfort is not a factor on your design but I know I couldn't fit on this thing, my legs would be a pretzel trying to pedal. Listen I'm not trying to bust you nuts here I'm just trying to give you some "Constructive Criticism" and maybe a little knowledge to make your next bike even better than your last. Someone once told me that if you don't take the time to learn from your mistakes you're destine to keep repeating them over and over and over.

I'm planning on a chapter in my "bike builders book" I writing that will explain in detail all aspects of bike frame and suspension design.

But dude seriously you need to do some cleaning in there, build some shelves, burn some trash, paint the walls white, a workbench would help you tons!

Later Travis

Latest posts

Back