Sleeping Giant

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the main event, and it's opinion time.

What do you think of this chain guard?
20200508_205823.jpg

20200508_205817.jpg

Oh. those loose ball bearings. Makes me flash back to last winter when I was working on my Schwinn Cruiser 5. Over the years the freewheel threaded cone or cover had become loose (hand tight). Never messed with them, thought I was tightening it but was a left hand thread so It came apart! Somehow I got it back together without loosing any balls. :eek:

Oh. those loose ball bearings. Makes me flash back to last winter when I was working on my Schwinn Cruiser 5. Over the years the freewheel threaded cone or cover had become loose (hand tight). Never messed with them, thought I was tightening it but was a left hand thread so It came apart! Somehow I got it back together without loosing any balls. :eek:
It was a similar experience with the Peugeot when I disassembled it last year. I only became aware there was no bearing cage when it started raining BBs everywhere. Collected them all up and put it in a ziplock market Peugeot Headset to deal with later. Probably should have specified which of the three Peugeots living in the basement it was for, but it all came good.

K. Something is strange. Sometimes I see two legs on the fork. Other times, not so much...are you doing something sneaky there, or is it just angles?
Yeah, I'm making my own lefty fork, but this one's a righty :21:

No, sometimes there is one. I took it off to work on the brake arm clamp, was easier not attached.

Seriously though, Lefty was what I thought you were doing! Thought you were trying to pull a big surprise.. I guess if I had noticed that dangling brake arm YESTERDAY I wouldn't feel so foolish.

I'm not skilled enough for big surprises. You want to head over to one of the big boys' threads for those.
From this
giant-bike.jpg

To this
20200420_215517.jpg

You'd better get out your big boy pants, your membership got approved. Make the deadline, and it's permanent lol

Some progress. Solved the front brake issue (see below), installed the new BB, and got the cranks on (no pics of that yet)

Tried out a few different solutions, in the end it seemed best to make a new bracket with some allu strap.

Seatpost standing in for the fork to form the strap around.
20200531_091659.jpg

Looks about right
20200531_091943.jpg

Test fit.
20200531_101657.jpg

Somewhere in here is the perfect nut and bolt for this.
20200531_093640.jpg

Some bending, shaping, cutting, and grinding later, it fits and holds the arm nicely.
It's no TRM job, but it works ;)
20200531_105340.jpg

Failed experiments.
20200531_092048.jpg

Went to install the rear as well...
20200531_111950.jpg

Why do they make these things so effing small :mad:

Time to get the allu strap out again. But that's for another time.

Had to go mow the jungle back into a lawn. Now there's looters 2 miles away. Scary stuff.

Got allu straps made front and back brake arms.
More mockups and test fits. Looking good.

New problem of my own making, when I handed the rim and hub over to be built I didn't have the roller brake attached to the hub yet, and my mate did an excellent job dishing it for that. But now with the roller brake on the wheel sits about a quarter inch closer to the drive side. I might try some washers to balance it but that could cause chain line issues, so the best course may be to ignore it...

Having a hard time getting motivated on this.

Realizing I'm not going to be able to go riding with my the other Chicago Taildraggers for quite some time. Maybe not even until next year if the virus numbers dont drop before winter.

The whole bicycle thing in general is really bumming me out right now.

Can't even be bothered dragging it outside for a proper progress pic. So here's one of my coffee mug.
20200625_092045.jpg

One of the best things (IMO) about cycling is that one doesn't need anyone but themselves and a bicycle to participate. Sure, I've had some great rides with friends over the years but have also had some most memorable moments in my life on solo ventures.

trouble.jpg

^ a few years ago, scoping out a most Troublesome part of Colorado. I'm going back to this place as soon as the snow melts off this year, solo or otherwise.

Latest posts

Back