Snubbed by snotty Road Bikers!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know.... all of the Rat-Rodders I know are fine, friendly folks who like to build, ride, and enjoy their bikes. Reading the posts, and talking to my friends in here, I find that Rat-Rodders are into COOL BIKES no matter what their wheel-size, configuration, and heritage. I myself own a 1959 Tornado Rat..... and a '53 Schwinn Rat..... and a 1980's TREK semi-Rat.... and I'm not unique. Most of my buddies also have a variety of cool bikes ranging from Raleigh 3 speeds to Krates to tricked-out Cruisers.

Unfortunately I just yesterday discovered that we Rat-rodders are not always well recieved by the upper-crust of Road Bikers. Some of them actually look down at our creativity and ingenuity.

In an effort to expand my biking circle of friends, which is always expanding, I went for a ride with a local Road Bike Club that had advertised for new members. When I showed up with my Semi-Rat Trek, you would have thought I'd showed up for a wedding in a lime-green Speedo! Without going into details, suffice it to say that they considered my customized set of wheels to be inferior both technically and socially to their $2500 carbon-fiber Jetson bikes. THEN when I kept up with their elite little pack for the entire 30 miles, some of them grew downright rude.

All last night, my feelings were hurt because of it.... (Hey, I'm a sensitive sort of guy! LOL) and then an epiphany hit me: MY Bike is not inferior to theirs just because it's 25 years old.... in fact, it's a far better bike because not only is it almost as fast as their Jetson Rockets, it is ALSO uniquely MINE. We Rat-Rodders ride to a different drummer than they do! We ride according to our own dictates... according to our own inner guidelines as to what is cool and what is not. THEY on the other hand do not. WE are FREE Riders! They are Spandex-clad sheep who just don't understand what COOL is all about!

Needless to say, I won't be inviting any of THOSE guys to our local Rat-rod rides! HA! That'll show 'em!

(disclaimer: The above rant is JUST about that one particular group of Roadies. Most of the other ones I know are fine people.... even though the do wear those silly-looking shorts.)

A lesson here is to never equate greatness according to how much money was spent. Effort and passion are better indicators of greatness. Thanks!!!

Carry one of those frame mounted bike pumps with you, and when one of them gets snotty with you, stick it in his front wheel.
Then as he is laying there bleeding profusely from the head say"Not so much of a low life now, am I?" Then pedal away!!!!!

:mrgreen:
sticker12.jpg

sticker10.jpg

sticker07.jpg

More here: http://www.atomiccycles.com

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA $2500

i could build a better bike for 500 and have 2 grand to spend on those cool shorts they have

BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA tell em you'll bet them 2500 that you could throw yours in a fire and ride it away after a hour of being in it.

then say CAN YOU DO THAT........

let them know i got bottled AIR for their next long ride for 100 bucks a pop lol

wait.... what is the functional difference in a "Fixed Gear Bike" like the Roadies go crazy for.... and one with a Coaster Brake? Not a lot.... except of course that the Coaster Brake Wheel has a brake built into it. HHhmmmm could it be that my old TREK with a Coaster Brake rear wheel is technically SUPERIOR?

Me thinks he was referring to tour de france kinda bikers with gears and funny shaped helmets that like to ride in single file for some reason.
I've tried some biking groups and I prefer to go riding with my wife and friends....enough said.

Just wondering, how exactly were they rude to you?
Personally I think those 2500 dollar bikes are ugly and a waste of money unless they actually compete in races often. Otherwise for much less than 1000 they could get something functionally just as good for biking through town for exercise or whatever other reason they have.

My best friend has a 2000 dollar race bike and now he want me to ride my cruiser and 3 speed with him. Hahaha, yeah right!

There's snobbery aplenty in all walks of life, rat-rodding included.

The best way to deal with it is by not contributing to it.

Just my .02

-Mp

Steve I think I just soiled myself laughing at that one... Proof that picture is worth a thousand words.

That's hillarious Steve! :lol:

I'm gonna print that out poster size.

it is funny how ever once and awhile a road type comes in the shop with their bike wearing full spandex and how they have this momentary look of horror on their face seeing that there are mostly cruisers in the shop along with the vintage stuff we have. then i go up and greet them and i will be honest you have all seen me i am a slightly scruffy individual and deff not their type. but it is funny how most of the time we start reminicing about old bikes and they end up with a smile on their face. a few have even returned and bought their own cruisers so in a sense i think of it as turning them from the dark side where they think that bikes are all about performance and efficency. they take a look at my customs and ask "why build that?" i say "because it is cool and efficency be ......."

the "spandex roadies" gotta ride 30 miles to get the same exercize as i get in about 7 miles. Shoot, their bikes weight about 75% less than mine. And I know I get more smiles per mile.... Dangerous Dan

Latest posts

Back