So, who knows disc brakes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t set up disc brakes, ever.

Since this is a totally new build, I am going by what was spec’d on this frame, which is a 160mm disc. Do I just install the caliper, get a disc and see what needs to happen?

Also, any brand recommendations or types of discs to buy? I am running a Tektro cable actuated caliper.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Bike in question:

320FC2C7-513F-4E21-91C2-F7ACDA5DF6EA.jpeg

Disc, caliper, caliper mount. Mount will vary based on rotor size and mounting style

Any of the Shimano rotors are top notch. Deore, XT, SLX, ......... I have some of these right now and they've been great for cheap which is rare Rotors

I've got a few sets of Tektro cable units and they've been Uber reliable

I ended up buying a floating Hope disc (from my home country) as I don’t think I will have clearance problems as there is a LOT of room back there. Hopefully I don’t need an adapter.

I looked at the Shimano units and what I saw were mostly centre lock and I need six bolt. I probably wasn’t patient enough and was seduced by the Hope. Hopefully, it doesn’t bite me in the bum LOL

I appreciate your help, @Captain Awesome

I ended up buying a floating Hope disc (from my home country) as I don’t think I will have clearance problems as there is a LOT of room back there. Hopefully I don’t need an adapter.

I looked at the Shimano units and what I saw were mostly centre lock and I need six bolt. I probably wasn’t patient enough and was seduced by the Hope. Hopefully, it doesn’t bite me in the bum LOL

I appreciate your help, @Captain Awesome
I've got Hope stuff as well. Good to go :thumbsup:

I've got Hope stuff as well. Good to go :thumbsup:

The red anodised centre was what tripped my trigger.

One shoppe employee tried to tell me I needed a bigger disc than was spec’d and another from the same shoppe told me that there was no way I needed bigger than 160mm (what was spec’d on the bike), especially since the bike won’t be doing downhill or anything else like that.

The red anodised centre was what tripped my trigger.

One shoppe employee tried to tell me I needed a bigger disc than was spec’d and another from the same shoppe told me that there was no way I needed bigger than 160mm (what was spec’d on the bike), especially since the bike won’t be doing downhill or anything else like that.
Psssssshhhhhttttt..........

I'm running 160's on my new bike with Tektro cable units and it stops fantastically

I have worked on some mechanical disk brakes before, but never hydraulic ones.
Sad as it sounds, I went with a take-off caliper (essentially NOS) mechanical. I didn’t want to add anymore complications to this bike. I already wasn’t happy that I ended up with a suspension fork that will likely be locked. Upon further investigation, it may be easier than some rim brakes to set up!

Mechanical disc are good, but not nearly as good as hydraulic.

The stopping power with hydraulic brakes is really good. But then again, you have to know how to bleed them properly. If there is air in the lines, the stopping power is gone. Well not completely, but pretty much..

The question you have to ask yourself, do i need this much stopping power.
You know what they say: with great power comes... Probably broken teeth[emoji856]
Or was it something else?[emoji848]

Anyway, imo hydraulic disc brakes are worth the extra hassle to get them setup. You'll really enjoy them! And for brand, anything Shimano or tektro is good. My preference is Tektro. Long term these are better brakes. They need less maintenance.

If anybody ever needs any help regarding hydraulic brakes, hit me up, i work with them on daily base.[emoji6]

I even have a setup waiting to be mounted on something, 1 handle with 2 calipers. 1 front and 1 rear. [emoji28]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn motorola one met Tapatalk

Mechanical disc are good, but not nearly as good as hydraulic.

The stopping power with hydraulic brakes is really good. But then again, you have to know how to bleed them properly. If there is air in the lines, the stopping power is gone. Well not completely, but pretty much..

The question you have to ask yourself, do i need this much stopping power.
You know what they say: with great power comes... Probably broken teeth[emoji856]
Or was it something else?[emoji848]

Anyway, imo hydraulic disc brakes are worth the extra hassle to get them setup. You'll really enjoy them! And for brand, anything Shimano or tektro is good. My preference is Tektro. Long term these are better brakes. They need less maintenance.

If anybody ever needs any help regarding hydraulic brakes, hit me up, i work with them on daily base.[emoji6]

I even have a setup waiting to be mounted on something, 1 handle with 2 calipers. 1 front and 1 rear. [emoji28]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn motorola one met Tapatalk

I may find on this bike that mechanical is definitely lacking. I have never moved anything with tyres this large. I found it very strange that these wheels only had disc mounts on the rear hub; then again- the model of bike this wheel set was on now is upgraded to discs front and rear. How much skidding power do I need? LOL

Latest posts

Back