SOLARIS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the last of a collection of Spaceliners I decided to sell off, and since it hasn't sold, and its RRBO time, I figured why not?

The bike is a Murray Solar Flight (Spaceliner) I picked up a few years ago (1st of many) with the intention of building a custom. It was sitting as a badly patina'd frame, so I hit it with some paint, and put it on Ebay. No sale! After staring at it for a few months of hanging on the shower rod it grew on me once again. So, after some careful deliberation I made a parts order, and away we go!

This is the last of a collection of Spaceliners I decided to sell off, and since it hasn't sold, and its RRBO time, I figured why not?

The bike is a Murray Solar Flight (Spaceliner) I picked up a few years ago (1st of many) with the intention of building a custom. It was sitting as a badly patina'd frame, so I hit it with some paint, and put it on Ebay. No sale! After staring at it for a few months of hanging on the shower rod it grew on me once again. So, after some careful deliberation I made a parts order, and away we go!

I've seen that one, like the fender. I'm amazed at all the liner frames this year, can't wait to see them all.

Its crazy how popular they've become. I had no problem selling off 7 over the winter! I'm hoping this one stands out at least a little. If nothing else it should be fun to ride!

Love your ideas on your liner

One of the coolest designs ever! I love em! I used one in my very first build off.

Its crazy how popular they've become. I had no problem selling off 7 over the winter! I'm hoping this one stands out at least a little. If nothing else it should be fun to ride!
Any chance you have headlight lens or fender ornament laying around,I need to finish my AMC.

Cool glad your bring it back to life . I remember seeing that Bike on E-bay ,it just wasn't meant to be . You must have been sole mates [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanx guys. I guess its only right I keep one. I originally wanted to do 700c wheels, but its now been done enough times that I figured I'd do hot rod instead. I'll post pics of the parts when they get here.

Falstaff: Just sold the last of what I have other than this frame. Sorry.

Here's a few closeups of some of the work:

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/oxyjansen/media/Ads2015/BlueSpace2.jpg.html?o=27
http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/oxyjansen/media/Ads2015/BlueSpace4.jpg.html?o=23
http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/oxyjansen/media/Ads2015/BlueSpace3.jpg.html?o=24

The bottom bracket has been painfully clearance for a Truvativ American to Euro adapter. I also have YST pressed sealed bearing BB's with shaft colors that allow adjustment for chainline. I'm thinking the Truvativ might be best since the work is done.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/oxyjansen/media/Ads2015/BlueSpace5.jpg.html?o=25

Lets try that again:

The bottom bracket has been painfully clearance for a Truvativ American to Euro adapter. I also have YST pressed sealed bearing BB's with shaft colors that allow adjustment for chainline. I'm thinking the Truvativ might be best since the work is done.

Good luck with the adapter,I hope it works out. Do you plan on keeping the paint as is?

Very cool! Can't wait to see this on the road

The paint itself will stay, but I have work to do on the tank bezel and control panel. I planning to salvage the decals, which are in rough shape, which will leave some of the chrome as well.

The one good thing about the BB adapter is that if there were to be any slippage it will be stopped immediately by the fact that the bolts fit into some pretty tight channels. I'd be very disappointed if it spins of creaks, so time will tell.

Here's a couple of shots of the bezel repair:

There was a big chunk missing on the right side, and the bezel on the whole was on the verge of being in multiple pieces. So, the cracks were glued, and then backed with Goop (great stuff)! The missing chuck has been remodeled in Bondo, so not that I'm building the bike I'll do the finish work.

Parts have arrived!

Rear tire: Kenda Kraze 26 x 2.125
Front tire: Kenda Kwest 26 x 1.5
Wheels: alloy, 12ga spokes, Sturmey S2C Kickback hub, coaster brake
Forks: vintage re-chromed, 700c, Campy dropouts
Crank: 1985 vintage Sugino AT
Headset: Origin 8, sealed bearing, threaded
Headset adapters: 1 1/8" to 1"
Stem: road quill
Pedals: RockBros platform, sealed bearings
Seat post: CroMo 16"
BB: Shimano UN55
BB adapter: Truvativ American to Euro
Bars: tbd
Grips: tbd
Saddle: tbd

Thanx. I can't wait to see it all together, but I have 1 more to finish before it gets done.

Not free! I wish. I just blew almost $1500 to buy parts to finish about 6 bikes. This one will be a bit over $300 total when its done.

Latest posts

Back