Sold as a Schwinn but belive it's a Murray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new here so be gentle with me :lol:

Picked up this bike today, sold as a Schwinn but from a little research I believe it's a Murray sold thru Sears in either '53 or '56.

Not sure if it's a Frankenbike or is original, not that it matters.... I'm looking forward to cleaning her up for summertime ice cream runs with my kids.

BB shell is stamped: MOS-M, CD502 227 18289.

What I think I've decoded:

MOS: Murray of Ohio SUpply
-M: either 1953 or 1956, there's conflicting info out there.
CD502: 502 is the code for sears
227: model number for Sears but don't know what it is.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

729214d1349741617-show-off-your-vintage-ss-rigs-schwinn.jpg

Thanks for the replies. So she is a Frankenbike.... but I like the overall look and everything is about the same age.

Anyone know how the frame would have originally been painted or what model it is??

There is traces of a pale blue on the fender struts.... but of course don't know if they are original..

Definitely not a Schwinn though so that headbadge is going. Maybe scoop up a nice RRB headbadge :wink:

Going to start stripping it down tonight, the family is out of town for the week so I can spend some proper hours on it.

I've been looking for a bike with "that look" for a while and when I saw this yesterday it ticked the right boxes. One of those "meant to be" sales !!

More internet searching last night, and finding a site that had Sears catalogues from the time. The bike would have been sold as a J.C HIggins so my goal is to find the proper headbadge at least.

Tightened down all the loose parts last night, learned how to disassemble and rebuild a truss fork (!!) and the ride is smooth.

I'll ride her "as is" until the weather turns and then do a strip down and rebuild. Thinking about going flat black, rat rod style with red rims and white tires.. too cliched ???

Cool find! Have fun with it and don't worry that it has a mix of parts. Look through the typical builds here and you will see that most builds have parts from various bikes. Thats the fun of a rat rod bike.

dogdart said:
My last post was wrong , I was thinking of a Cleveland welding bike :oops: . The modle # can be referenced in Sears catalogs . If Rustinker sees this , he can probably tell you .

'MOS-M' is actually 1948, confirmed through a 1959 Western Auto parts manual, reprinted by ABC Services last year. And 'MOS' is actually "Murray Ohio/Sears". Other branded Murray bikes, such as Western Flyers, were just stamped 'MO-', and after 1956, "MOT-". Sears bikes were then "MOST-", though by 1958 or so, were stamped with a generic 'MOD-502', followed by the Sears catalog number, plus one extra digit, usually a 1 or 0. Anyway, this bige began life as a 1948 JC Higgins, but only hung on to it's chainguard as everything else was changed. -Adam

Rustinkerer: Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou !!!!! I'm slightly obsesive about the details so knowing the year and make is awesome info !!

Nice find. Even though they are fairly common, I think the Murray built Higgins/Western Flyer frames have that classic vintage look to them. It is one of my favorite frames! I used the same frame in my buildoff bike this year and I am currently looking for another one for a Western Flyer set of "rocketship" tanks I found.

Latest posts

Back