Some kind of Monster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright..... I really hope I do better about getting a bike built for this build off than I did RRB4.

I have been thinking bout building a fat tired cruiser from scratch for quite some time, I actually bought the wheel parts about a year and a half ago. So I guess here is my chance hu guys? I am inspired by the 20's queen on the Chopper Network site.... http://www.choppernewsnetwork.com/fbi-part-8/fbi-8-coty-2009 That has got to be one of the sickest dang bikes I have ever seen, Mine wont have perimeter brakes but I think my front end, tank and functionality will be over the top... The other bikes that have influenced (read that I am going to steal design cues) by are the the Mayday whizzer http://www.firebikes.com/gallery.htm and the "lucky 7" http://bikerodnkustom4.homestead.com/gallery408.html Now I am not going to copy any of these bikes, I just wanted to give credit where credit is due. These are my inspiration, I think these guys have pushed custom bikes to the next level. Im am going to try and stand on the shoulders of these great builders and take the next step
I also gotta give props to Travis (Iron Spade) He is building the bikes I dream about... I just might steal some of his ideas as well.....

Why does everyone have to steal from me, I should be flattered but I'm not... LOL

Larry, you still want me to build those wheels? Pack them up and send them my way, the sooner the better.

Later T

bout time ya show up.lol. now lets see what ya really got. this will be good.

Outlaw

Well at this point I am still sketching frame ideas.... I ordered a set of Surly Endomorphs yesterday on the US choppers sale deal, so... 4" wide rims with Endomorphs should qualify this sucker as "FAT" (not phat, thats just retarded way of saying lame) This Monster will be long, low and mean...

I'm having a hard time believing that the guy responsible for Madd Hammer has to steal any ideas...ha ha.

Looking forward to your build Larry. :wink:

I am feeling it, now get to building. The Lucky 7 has to be one of the best builds I have ever saw.

absolutely. The Lucky 7 is based on a Basman frame. I wish I could afford to get one here. And WOW, that 20's Queen is AMAZING! Too bad you can't take a bike to COTY. It would be interesting to see how you do.

Your in CO, are you involved with the Denver Cruisers at all? My old crew! I helped start the Denver Cruisers back in 2000. It's gotten huge lately. I might know where a Basman frame is here in the states for the right price. LOL Are you interested? PM me. Later T

good to see your in this one. there are some heavy hitters here for sure. this should be fun to watch, and to do something totally original is so hard these days i give ya huge props for saying that you are going to borrow ideas from here and there. good luck

karfer67 said:
good to see your in this one. there are some heavy hitters here for sure. this should be fun to watch, and to do something totally original is so hard these days i give ya huge props for saying that you are going to borrow ideas from here and there. good luck

Yeah well everyone is "inspired" by someones work and there is only one idea I plan to down right steal... And it was an Iron Spade original for sure... But to be fair I did ask Travis if I could steal it :D and I have no problem giving full credit.....

we'll see how it goes... Im pretty exited about getting going on this.... I think I have pretty well nailed down the frame, Im going to wait until the tires show up to start drawing full scale...

Got the Endomorph's mounted on the rims today... Kind of has me thinking the bike needs to move in another direction, I think the long low chopper needs skinny tall wheels, these fat suckers need a bit more all terrain application... mmmmmm

Look forward to following this build anything with 4in wides has my attention hehe

I can't see an issue with 'borrowing' others designs 'Ol Travis definitely has a few worth a
second look thats for sure! as long as that "borrowed" idea isn't used on bicycles built and sold
exclusively for profit AND all credit for the original is given to the designer (which you
have duely done already kudos to you :)
)

Best of luck

KiM

KiM you should check out Larry's other work on his website http://www.monstermetal.com . This guy is a true craftsman of all things metal! Honestly I'm a little flattered he's borrowing ideas from me. After seeing his work I kind of wish my shop was down the street from his in Seattle. I would love to do some work with him in the future. Later T

Another of my hobbies is to photograph old style fences, balconies which our city is full off, 19th and early 20th century. I usually stare at them thinking is too bad no one is interested in this beautiful type of art, everything is so modern, simple, and square now a days...
Truth is after checking Larry´s site it made me so happy to know that there is people who still shapes inert pieces of steal into beautiful art like that, old school beautiful and inspiring craftsmanship, I take my hat off to you sir!

well thanks for the kind words fellas.... I'll try not to let you down. A new idea is coming to shape for the Monster....

Man its not looking good.... Time is against me on this guys..... :( :( :(

What are you going on about? You've got till December 6th, you can't squeeze in a bike build in a month? Come on Larry...

I still need that U-bend for my frame, I may just ixnay it and build in gusset plates, who knows...

Later T

I am working 14 hours plus a day and am three weeks behind on my workload... I got guys callin me every day wanting to know why there stuffs not done.... My stuff always gets pushed to the back but when things are this bad there is just not time for personal projects... Its a real bummer but I dont know how I will find any time to build a bike.... :( :(

Latest posts

Back