Some odd ones- Muscle- Rare Banana seat? Before and After

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit- cleaned this up and added before and after pics below!

So my sis-in law, 1000 miles away in IN, picked up these 3 bikes for me at a farm sale. She paid 5 bucks for all 3!! These are the only photos I have, but wondered if the experts could ID them by these. I won't get to see these bikes till Christmas when we visit.

I spotted the crazy messenger banana seat instantly in the cel pics and was told it has a grasshopper slick on the back. I've only seen this seat on some rare muscle and I couldn't find a pic of a white one at all. I said I'd go $30 on this one. Didn't realize I'd get all for $5!
imagejpeg_23.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

After they were bought, they took a few more pics, to small to see much!

The epic nana. Can't wait to see If I can get to some original paint under there.:
downsized_0804121757.jpg

downsized_0804121758.jpg

downsized_0804121759.jpg

Here is some more muscle. Until I saw this photo I hadn't seen what looks like shocks on that sissybar. But it looks like the top of the sissy bar had been sawed off. :cry:
downsized_0804121802.jpg

This girls looks to be in nice shape. Might be a pretty flipper. I think they said is says 'convertible' on the chainguard.
downsized_0804121755.jpg

Now I will me mega impressed if someone knows what this convertible tank came off of! No markings. I am wondering if it will fit the red bike above. Bought this at the flea today.
ConvertTank.jpg

Nice finds by Sis!

The Mesinger seat looks like it could be gold or silver glitter, rather than white. For some reason those seats are hard to get good pictures of the seat color. Great stuff for $5!

Re: Some odd ones- Muscle goodness, roadies

Thanks! I am dying to get out there and see them, but a 16 hr drive! I think I can wait.

Interestingly someone cane to buy the Fuji today an hour after it was listed. But instead they bought the Motobecane that needs work. That was OK with me because now I don't have to mess with it. Might have been real nice all fixed up, but I'd rather wrench on classic metal.

nocoffbrand23 said:
Would you sell the Mesinger seat?

It is a possibility, I really want it, but figure it is worth some cash by itself. I won't know till I get my hands on it in Dec. But I am told there are no tears. :D

Will await your posts in Dec :)

Nice finds, I been looking for a Columbia guard myself.

wish stuff like that would show up here in NY, but everyone is scrap happy here.. sigh

Sure enough I sold the Fuji too. Man I am new to this bike flipping thing. It is pretty sweet! Selling bikes to put back into bikes+ take the lady to dinner. (Which makes her much better with the whole bike hobby.) It is a win-win for everyone!

UPDATE! Finally! I am on my way too see these bikes this week for the first time. It feels like Christmas... oh wait, it is CHRISTMAS!! Super excited about breaking out the steel wool and soap and water to see what we have here. I will update y'all in a few days. :D

Not to sure about that Tank fitting that Conveticycle but this is what the bike looks like complete less one hand grip..
con4.jpg
con3.jpg

Thanks Jaydub! Yeah I have discovered that my cool tank won't fit the converticycle. :( So I have been focusing on the two banana bikes.

Not too sure what I will do with the converticycle now. Yours looks amazing!

All-righty, spent a few days doing as much as I could to these bikes. Time for before and after!

Lets call this one 'Old Blue'.

This is how I found Old Blue on Christmas Eve. I have to say, it is a pretty roomy frame!
IMG_3736.jpg

This is how he cleaned up! The only thing I added to the bike is the Schwinn grips and I stole the White Letter front tire from the other bike.
IMG_3764.jpg

I think these pretty much have to be Sears bikes based on the family history, tires, and and the Murray drop-outs. The bike is steeped in mojo and was painted BITD a Robins Egg Blue with white. That is Red reflector tape you see. Someone loved this bike. (You can see the original metalic green the bike was painted when new in some of the chips.)
IMG_3766.jpg

I knew the Messenger Banana Seat would be pretty Epic. But I've only seen a couple others like this ever, and I am wondering if it was specially bought when the bike was painted? Anyone know where you could get this seat?
IMG_3770.jpg

Dig that sears Liner Tread 20X1.75 white letter tire up front. I stole this off the back of the other bike.
IMG_3767.jpg

Sears Grasshopper Slick cheater slick on the rear. Mmmmm beefy.
IMG_3768.jpg

This is the other rescue from the bunch. I honestly thought it I'd put it out to pasture, but I can't help but bust out the steel wool and wire wheel and see what I can uncover. (I was able to get the sissy-bar shocks off and they will be put to use someday. But not today.)

As found. (Again I stole the rear tire for the other bike!)
IMG_3738.jpg

Kinda anti climatic next to 'Ol Blue above, but I brought a spare seat and sissy with me and a pair of banged up apes. And presto. It now wears the front tire from Ol Blue on its rear. The interesting things about it were the sprung sissy (Which I removed) and I guess the taller skinny wheel on the front. Must be like a 20X1 3/8 or some-such-thing.
IMG_3771.jpg

Not a bad way to spend the Holiday! As for cash, the only thing I have into them is about $10 for the old spare seat and Apes, and a couple tubes form Wally-world. (BOTH bikes still need a chain!)

Fisch said:
Thanks Jaydub! Yeah I have discovered that my cool tank won't fit the converticycle. :( So I have been focusing on the two banana bikes.

Not too sure what I will do with the converticycle now. Yours looks amazing!

Mine came from up the road from you in N.H...I still have this one looking to get rid of it..I have to many bikes like most of us..lol

You could buy the Mesinger seats from a magazine called Auto World Model Cars. It is a slot car magazine. They also sold other bike stuff. They also used them on Columbia bikes. Here are a few pics of my Mesinger seats and the ad from the magazine.

mesinger003_zps8287d4ed.jpg

autoworld006_zpsce9d2c20.jpg

autoworld005_zps31d7f6a2.jpg

Nice finds, I really like that first bike :wink: Looks like a real custom a kid did back in the 70's 8) That tire completes the look :D

Man, that glitter bucket seat is incredible!!!!

IMG_3770.jpg

Jaxon said:
You could buy the Mesinger seats from a magazine called Auto World Model Cars. It is a slot car magazine. They also sold other bike stuff. They also used them on Columbia bikes. Here are a few pics of my Mesinger seats and the ad from the magazine.

mesinger003_zps8287d4ed.jpg

autoworld006_zpsce9d2c20.jpg

autoworld005_zps31d7f6a2.jpg
Jaxon, thanks so much for this post! Choc full of helpful info!!

And thanks for the comments guys!

Latest posts

Back