Some thoughts on bikes left behind.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am riding the train to work every day and I noticed two things.
1. There are a few vehicles only on a parking lot they used to park in the corners of.
2. There is a growing number of weird bikes that are there for 6 weeks already.
However I am not sure if I could just take them, not much to take anyway...
That is one :
IMG_20200414_101343.jpg

I like the frame, nothing else of interest, stem and bars are one piece.
IMG_20200502_052854.jpg

This one has been brutally ravished. Still usable though.
There are a few others that don't look too well, but these two are not chained.
I can't know whether they are stolen or left there from their owners.
Funny enough there is also a car in a far corner of the parking lot :
IMG_20200501_191904.jpg

Insane, it is like a dystopian Sci fi movie (but low budget and socially commentating, I guess) :D

That red one has a really nice frame! Surely you could do something nice from it.

I remember a time when few block from my apartment (in the very center of Warsaw) was a green bike that just stood leaned on a railling. I just took it home with me :p Turned out it was a 90's post-soviet bike with badly smashed frame, probably from a car accident. It stood there so long that the thin lock that it was locked to the railing with just rusted away and fell off of it. Sadly not many parts were still usable.

I would not hesitate and just take the red one, at least you will put it to use.

In the Netherlands when something is left on the street for long enough, it is often being scraped later. It have happened to me often i found complete bikes in trash containers. So i did not feel too guilty saving them from being destroyed, if i was sure no one is going to come for them. Sometimes i have also left a note on the bike, and if no one took it or contacted me, i felt okay with taking them. I'd say, if you have a good purpose for it - take it.
I am now restoring a bike i found in the trash recently. It is a polish BMX from 1996, the model is called "American Rider". I do realize by now i have probably invested more money and time into it then i ever would be able to get back by selling it. But i feel good doing it anyway :)

Well, I do have a wonderful 7 speed 26 wheelset that I could use on the red frame. I always liked that twin tube style. Fenders are probably ok, but I am not big on fenders anyway.... Still I could use them on my daily which is reddish.
What do you think of the full suspension frame? It has been deprived of its wheels and shock and the rest is left there. It still has a swingarm, frame and a fork that works (if limited by design) - I checked LOL.

I love that red twin bar frame!

It is a polish BMX from 1996, the model is called "American Rider". I do realize by now i have probably invested more money and time into it then i ever would be able to get back by selling it. But i feel good doing it anyway :)

Had one of those, when I was a kid, all red (even the tires were red). And my girlfriend also had one of those in a black-yellow color scheme.

Reduce - one less bike built.
Reuse - give the old hulk new life.
Recycle - keep junk out of the landfill.
images

And should be good for your Karma, too. :)

I on the other hand believe - Karma exists only in Fallout games :21:

I sat on a 1973 Schwinn Breeze that was left abandoned and unlocked at a local strip mall for three months. One rainy day while there in my truck, I threw it in the back and took it home. I did a full resto on it and gave it to someone who needed it to get around. They still get around on it.

Latest posts

Back