Son of Satan WWII bomber tribute build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Please keep in mind the theme when you look at the pics to come as everything is there for a reason and not a negative one. That's my disclaimer.

Picked up this '02 Trek Rail CNC.

I can't ever leave anything alone so full redo it is. The only things left would be the frame, cranks/sprocket, and tires.

Got the orig seat as well.

But there'll no need for that. Lol.

Once again, evolution.

Stock rims.

Hbbc 26x50mm 3spds

Tire width before

After

It was at that point I took a break to eat dinner. Planning to come back and finish up and take it for a spin.

Word to the inexperienced, always finish the job at hand before stopping.

I went to take it for a spin and lifted a little over the end of the driveway. And the front wheel came off ( stopped mid work and never got back around to tightening the wheel)

Ended up in the ER thinking I broke my finger

And some road rash.

Turned out to be a tendon sprain which still is a bit tender and a bruised ego.

Along with a brand new bent fork.

Ended up getting the fork straight again. So that was good. Brought it to Jalopy fest and it had issues with the rear brake arm coming loose. So I had ready had a WWII plane theme in mind. But with the troubles I had had with the bike I figured it should be a devious one. Found this M26 Marauder mid size bomber with a fitting name.

More evolution.

Electra bars and a Gyes saddle.

Tiny peddles.

Street sign used for a chain guard.

Found a seat post suited for it

Shifter.

Lip aluminum brazed on the guard.

Chicago tail Draggers cruise.

Hot pink stem.

Lol

Dropped it off for some artwork.

Art work done.

It's at this point where you have to realize the reasoning for what is painted on the bike. The markings on the top tube were a loose interpretation of the markings on the plane. Bombs mark missions , ducks I have to believe are boats or u boats sunk, and a swatstika represents a German plane haven been shot down by the bomber. While there may not be the exact # of bombs to show number of missions, I did want to include the ducks and the Swatstika as a tribute to them taking them out. So chill yo, I'm not a Third Reich supporter.

Done pics.

Switch blade shifter. It still folds.

A print I found online of the plane commissioned by crew members.

The plane was lost on a mission over Germany and I dedicate the bike build to the great men and boys who fought for this Great country we have. Many of whom did not come back, the last crew of this plane included.

Thanks for looking.

Superb execution as usual! Your builds never disappoint!!

Being around for the build on this bike was pretty awesome... From the waiting to see if the seller would accept your offer $$$ to the idea you had about the tribute... First seeing the bike on the trailer hooked up to your van drew a lot of attention as it was... The bike was pretty awesome as purchased... But like I always say an artist sees things differently than the rest of the world... Seeing & getting to ride this awesome piece of art through its different stages was pretty cool... And just the fact that as it bring a tribute to the plane and it's crew members it gets people to look up and read many of the stories of these brave men that lost their lives for this country & remember them... Bigg Ups...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, This is what I love about this site. Every so often a bike comes up that I have Never seen before that looks Really cool in " found" condition, then the new owner take it to an Awsome level. Makes me want to stop what I'm doing[ typing this] and head into the Lab and get to building....oh wait I got Honey do's....Later

Thanks all for the kind words.

I'll say that getting lucky and finding a bike like this is inspiration to take it to where it is. One of the few bikes that when I get done with the actual build, I really feel like it's done. Nothing left to do but work any bugs out that may come up as it's riden. It's my most expensive build so far that's for sure.

The B-26 was hard to land. Some called it the Widowmaker. It was a high performance aircraft. But it turned out to be the best medium bomber of the war. More crews came back alive than any other WWII bomber. It was beautiful, too.
05_fantasy_of_flight_B26.gif

Latest posts

Back