Sort of virtual classic bicycle 31 day race

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Since many of us are cooped up and social distance seems to be putting the damper on fun I thought an I dare ya race might be fun. You can start as early as today and then see how many miles you can ride a vintage bicycle in a month ( 31 days ). Like the 12 hours of Road America or the old time six day track races, most distance in a time frame wins. Your start date determines when the 31 days are up, but the last date to finish will be August 31. Vintage for this is defined as any type of pedal only bicycle built before 2000, except fixed gear track bikes on a track. Your fixie on the road is ok. Yes, a carbon road bike is ok (I wouldn’t lower myself to ride one of these bikes as they don’t qualify for world records). No trainer miles allowed, road or dirt is allowed. You can use mile bike path markers, cyclometer or cellphone to determine distance. All in fun so it is self reported distance. Too keep it interesting you will receive one point per mile with a bonus of 5 additional points for each different bike you ride, but you can only get the 5 bonus points once for each different bicycle. Today I started so my end date is August 18. Today I rode my 1938 Boisis four speed road bike 41.02 miles. So I have a total of 46 points. You might not ever be in a situation again where you have the time to ride this much. Catch me if you can.

Last edited:
That's a cool challenge. Keep on rolling, keep us posted on your quest, good luck man!
How about you joining the fun. Yesterday was one I’ll never forget. My
son rode his 1920s fixed gear wood wheeled track bike into town and I rode
my old road bike with him for twenty miles before I went back. He continued to town, which was 66 miles. Today’s is riding back to get his car. I’ll ride my Paramount out and join him back. So much fun.
Since many of us are cooped up and social distance seems to be putting the damper on fun I thought an I dare ya race might be fun. You can start as early as today and then see how many miles you can ride a vintage bicycle in a month ( 31 days ). Like the 12 hours of Road America or the old time six day track races, most distance in a time frame wins. Your start date determines when the 31 days are up, but the last date to finish will be August 31. Vintage for this is defined as any type of pedal only bicycle built before 2000, except fixed gear track bikes on a track. Your fixie on the road is ok. Yes, a carbon road bike is ok (I wouldn’t lower myself to ride one of these bikes as they don’t qualify for world records). No trainer miles allowed, road or dirt is allowed. You can use mile bike path markers, cyclometer or cellphone to determine distance. All in fun so it is self reported distance. Too keep it interesting you will receive one point per mile with a bonus of 5 additional points for each different bike you ride, but you can only get the 5 bonus points once for each different bicycle. Today I started so my end date is August 18. Today I rode my 1938 Boisis four speed road bike 41.02 miles. So I have a total of 46 points. You might not ever be in a situation again where you have the time to ride this much. Catch me if you can.
43.00 miles on the Paramount today (July 20). 48 points today, total of 94 points.

Pre 2000 is vintage? I realize that was 20 years ago, but it still makes me feel ancient.
- A 20 year old car is considered a classic, so pre 2000 makes sense.

In the MTB world, it's usually 98 ish that's the cutoff. It's when a massive technology shift happened, rim brakes on the way out, the switch away from steel frames to aluminum and eventually carbon, and suspension that really started to work. It was the end of an era. The mindset behind the bikes sorta shifted at some point too, they used to be "all arounders", frames had descended from old cruisers, so they were more versatile. A retro frame could be a road rider, a graveller, a tourer, bikepacker, trail rider, downhill shredder, commuter... sometimes all in one day!

Pre 2000 is vintage? I realize that was 20 years ago, but it still makes me feel ancient.
- A 20 year old car is considered a classic, so pre 2000 makes sense.
That was whatI thought. 2000 really isn’t vintage to me but some people probably don’t have older bikes.

I will not have time for this until the Fall, then I'll get on it.
How about an end date of Jan 1, 2021. I forgot about heat in the south. This weekend it’s going to be in the upper 80 s here. Today it was50s and raining. I think its a good idea to make it for any continuous 31 day period until January 1.

Not ready, Clyde. My fleet is in shambles. The only rollers I have are a BMX and Duck Norris. But if I can finish this build off, it will be PERFECT for a challenge like this!
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/daddy-long-legs.111670/Doubt I'll make the starting date, but I'll play along on my own schedule. I know I'll never catch you though!
It’s now an end date of January 1, I forgot about summer heat in the south. The ferns are starting to die here because we had some cold nights. One location a few days ago was 38 F at night.

I've got 10 or so more days of quarantine, then if I have a bike I'll be riding and keeping track.
41.02 miles in one day. I can match that easy, just move the decimal point over one spot. I won't say which way though.:rofl:

I've got my long distance saddle all ready!
seat.JPG

Same. I'll wait until it's under 100 degrees out every day
January 1 is the new end date. I forgot about the southern heat. My ride today was in the 50 s F and raining.
How about you joining the fun. Yesterday was one I’ll never forget. My
son rode his 1920s fixed gear wood wheeled track bike into town and I rode
my old road bike with him for twenty miles before I went back. He continued to town, which was 66 miles. Today’s is riding back to get his car. I’ll ride my Paramount out and join him back. So much fun.

43.00 miles on the Paramount today (July 20). 48 points today, total of 94 points.
July 21 I rode 32 miles on the Paramount. No bonus points as I used the Paramount yesterday. Total points 126. I’m starting on my road bikes but will soon switch to cruisers, klunkers, antiques, mountain bikes and fixed gear. Distances will be a lot harder.

Glad you are getting miles, brother. I did a few kms at the BMX track last night, nothing vintage, nothing logged. Don't forget to post pics, the next phase of your riding cycle specifically. You know I love the old trail riders

Can a vintage frame equipped with modern components such as wheels and drivetrain enter. Or is this ride stickily antique parts, pre 2000?
IMHO, vintage frame with resto mod parts is even cooler!

I want to enter a stretched 68' Stingray...coaster:crazy2:
sabertooth.jpg
Tires and pedals are the only parts newer than 1999, and they're retro. I don't think chains count:bigsmile:

Can a vintage frame equipped with modern components such as wheels and drivetrain enter. Or is this ride stickily antique parts, pre 2000?
Upgrades are inevitable as stuff wears out. Today I rode my 70s Peugeot, but it has 700c instead of 27 wheels and modern gator skin tires. The brakes have also been upgraded but to me it’s still vintage. So upgrades are fine. I think all my bikes have some changes. Pedals and seats are often not original or vintage.

Latest posts

Back