Sort of virtual classic bicycle 31 day race

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see you guys putting down the miles! I'll join in come fall when things cool down. Guess I'll need something more vintage that can throwdown

Went out for 10+ myself tonight but just on my 29'er. But I did find a Cranbrook dumped in the woods! Score one for me!
I think there should be bonus points for riding trash picked bikes or bikes pulled out of the woods!!!!!

I think there should be bonus points for riding trash picked bikes or bikes pulled out of the woods!!!!!
Good idea, I’ll have even more points. A lot of my bikes were from the dumpster, woods or from caving ground at old mine sites. It’s in the 40sF here this morning. I wish my flannels weren’t in storage. My 13 year old dog is shaking. I’m half through the 31 day race but dentist and doctor appointments, which are far enough away to take up the day, will take up some days. I hope to double my points.

:grin:
It was probably 40' off the trail at the edge of a swamp. Had to have been intentionally placed because there's no way a mortal threw it that far (boat anchor)

It was already dark by the time I got back with my truck. I risked gators to pull that sucker out.

319 + 5 for the GT + 41 miles = 395 points. Gravel grinder ride today. This GT bike works as well as any of my gravel bikes. They were spreading fresh gravel for five and a half miles. This muddy soft fresh gravel started 16 miles from my finish, I thought it was going to kill me, because it was so hard to pedal in. I was already toast, I thought oh, no.
1596664921768-1048683307.jpg
15966650066351126611261.jpg

Last edited:
319 + 5 for the GT + 41 miles = 395 points. Gravel grinder ride today. This GT bike works as well as any of my gravel bikes. They were spreading fresh gravel for five and a half miles. This muddy soft fresh gravel started 16 miles from my finish, I thought it was going to kill me, because it was so hard to pedal in. I was already toast, I thought oh, no.View attachment 132088View attachment 132089
Sweet ride.

13 miles on a ‘65 Rollfast!!!! + 5 for a different bike!!! 83 MTD points!!!!’

Rode up to the amphitheater. An absolutely amazing, beautiful evening to be out and riding around a lake!!

I thought about wearing my bike shorts but just ended up winging it.... I was really feeling that vintage saddle by about mile 7!!!!
9C1ABB8B-5F4C-4F56-8093-4515A8F03E27.jpeg
288891C6-518F-4BF3-93AC-B5D3F3D4B59E.jpeg
02F25B13-7ED6-4315-A4F0-6711B7408C18.jpeg

Yeah, t

Rode up to the amphitheater. An absolutely amazing, beautiful evening to be out and riding around a lake!!

I thought about wearing my bike shorts but just ended up winging it.... I was really feeling that vintage saddle by about mile 7!!!!
View attachment 132104View attachment 132105View attachment 132106
he vintage saddles are for us people who are gluttons for punishment. I could ride a lot more if I did musical seats

Anyone

View attachment 132104View attachment 132105View attachment 132106
Anyone got any handy dandy tips for truing a slightly wobbly wheel?

This bike is great for tooling around the neighborhood but has 2 slightly out of true wheels.

I did crank this bike up a few times on my ride, and at speed, (maybe 20 mph, lol) the wobbles are quite noticeable.

I’m guessing when I sell this beauty the owner will never take it much over 10 mph, but I still like to sell super reliable and rideable bikes.

Anyone

Anyone got any handy dandy tips for truing a slightly wobbly wheel?

This bike is great for tooling around the neighborhood but has 2 slightly out of true wheels.

I did crank this bike up a few times on my ride, and at speed, (maybe 20 mph, lol) the wobbles are quite noticeable.

I’m guessing when I sell this beauty the owner will never take it much over 10 mph, but I still like to sell super reliable and rideable bikes.
Leave it alone. The wobblier and more crooked the frame the better. These are bar bikes. No need to lock them, they ride so bad that if someone steals it they will abandon it in one block.

Caution truing steel rims. Sometimes spokes can thread past the nipple and through the rim liner causing a puncture when tightened.

--------------------------------------------------------
D11 0mi
D12 0mi
D13 6mi - Stingray
D14 10mi - Stingray
D15 27mi - Stingray AUG 6

234 + 43 = 277

Last edited:
Time for young guys to take over. My legs are tired and cramped up from top down through the toes. Five and a half miles of mushy gravel was too much. It was almost as bad as riding in cornmeal mush that’s full of marbles. I think I’ll take my bikes into town and ride on the easy paved bike path, or on mountain bike flow trails.

Time for young guys to take over. My legs are tired and cramped up from top down through the toes. Five and a half miles of mushy gravel was too much. It was almost as bad as riding in cornmeal mush that’s full of marbles. I think I’ll take my bikes into town and ride on the easy paved bike path, or on mountain bike flow trails.
Another Lifting night. Another “trash bike 10”. MTD points at 93.

Sort of weird how some rides work. I got hung up in traffic on my ride out..... got slowed up on a bridge. Had a bit of a head wind out, too.

The way back I stopped to check on what appeared to be an abandoned old lady in a wheel chair!!! My 3 speed overgear had me feeling like I was putting.

When I made it back home, my time was 3 minutes faster than Tuesday night!!! Lol Really only a minute or two off my standard trek pace!!!

So, “good times” two different ways on a huffy trash bike!
B4F6943C-6C4C-4BE9-BB23-AC3BE198B500.jpeg

I have no idea how to decipher Huffy serial numbers. I think this is an 80’s rig. The interweb said the Savannah production run was in the 80’s and ended in the early 90’s.

I am stoked it’s a 3 speed. I’m more stoked to put all these parts on that rusted out Murray/ western flyer!
View attachment 131515View attachment 131516
HC2 stands for Huffy Corporation, and the 2 is the year. Decade is determined through looks...looks like 90s graphics to me, but that would put it just about at the end of US production. What brand of 3spd is it? Might have some numbers stamped on it.

Day one for my challenge started today!

So, this was hard! This thing, (TREK 3900) Since 2007, has NEVER been put up in storage!!!!
View attachment 131493

After an early AM pedal swap & spiffy tune, I borrowed the wife’s old Raleigh Technium.
View attachment 131494

The chain was definitely dry and had a few spots of light surface rust on it. -the closest petroleum based product I could find during my tuneup was marvel mystery oil, which I promptly put on the chain and dag-gum! It worked great!!!!

I did my Regular Saturday morning 20 mile ride.

So uh.... after riding a 39 pound bike pretty much exclusively the past 13 years, this little rocket was quite the experience!!!!!

Two words for ya; Rolling Resistance
Holy moly! Thing made my ride cake!!!

Next up; Huffy Time!!!!!
I have so many bikes I would go broke buying chain lube. I used to make my own out of paraffin wax dissolved in solvent then added to liquid paraffin lamp oil. Now I just use lamp oil on my bike chains, unless it’s my modern mountain bikes or my road bikes.

I have so many bikes I would go broke buying chain lube. I used to make my own out of paraffin wax dissolved in solvent then added to liquid paraffin lamp oil. Now I just use lamp oil on my bike chains, unless it’s my modern mountain bikes or my road bikes.
So will the mystery oil do anything?

Chain looks and sounds beautiful!

HC2 stands for Huffy Corporation, and the 2 is the year. Decade is determined through looks...looks like 90s graphics to me, but that would put it just about at the end of US production. What brand of 3spd is it? Might have some numbers stamped on it.
Thanks for the input here! The hub isn’t really marked. All I got really is the thumb shifter. Shimano.

Look familiar or know anything about it?
A8A368C0-F10A-414E-9A04-2824034247A9.jpeg

10 miles on my western flyer + 5 for a new bike. 108 MTD points!!!! Yay!!! I broke the century mark! Yay! Lol

I Must confess; it is a gravy ride on a paved trail around the lake. The wind is pretty fierce However, most days. I’ve been riding that trail several times a week since they closed the gyms in March. I think I went 8 straight weeks without a single ride with less than 12 mph sustained winds. Did several rides: maybe 5 or 6, with sustained winds over 20. That’ll mess up your cadence!!! Lol

Any ride over 15 I take out on the road; or if I’m on short ride lifting night, I do the trash bike for short rides as a road bike on a paved trail, vintage or not, wind or not, is pretty easy sailing.
E8D7C130-951A-4A29-974B-EBF8BDA798D3.jpeg
D29048C4-FC9A-4BD6-9021-ED989C9BE954.jpeg

Latest posts

Back