Sort of virtual classic bicycle 31 day race

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 miles on my western flyer + 5 for a new bike. 108 MTD points!!!! Yay!!! I broke the century mark! Yay! Lol

I Must confess; it is a gravy ride on a paved trail around the lake. The wind is pretty fierce However, most days. I’ve been riding that trail several times a week since they closed the gyms in March. I think I went 8 straight weeks without a single ride with less than 12 mph sustained winds. Did several rides: maybe 5 or 6, with sustained winds over 20. That’ll mess up your cadence!!! Lol

Any ride over 15 I take out on the road; or if I’m on short ride lifting night, I do the trash bike for short rides as a road bike on a paved trail, vintage or not, wind or not, is pretty easy sailing.
View attachment 132284View attachment 132285
Thats a nice bike, good condition.

So will the mystery oil do anything?

Chain looks and sounds beautiful!
It might pick up more dirt than chain lube but lube is more important than no lube. In the 60s and early 70s, before I knew any better, I used to take my chains off yearly and soak them over the stove in hot melted paraffin. All kinds of dirt would come out when they were agitated.

20 on the Raleigh: 128 MTD points.

Stopped at Abbott Farms on the ride back for a quick pic. I’ve been telling myself the past 7 years that “on my next ride” I’ll just back off a bit and get an ice cream cone and stop and smell the roses a bit...,,

Somehow, I never get around to doing it.
400E35CE-18DA-40C1-B945-6AFF2747663E.jpeg

Beautiful evening. Cool enough for a chopper ride. Feels like an exercise machine.
The trail is pretty much cleaned up from the storm. Can start going further.
Day 16.
277+14+5=296
View attachment 132286
View attachment 132287

I've been meaning to bring together a multispeed fueler darg fork bike.
Seat is rather hard for a long distance Danger Ride :crazy:
View attachment 132289
What’s the lake in the background? Looks looks like a beautiful night in a beautiful area!

Most certainly is. Lake Gleneida in Putnam. I'm in a parking lot where bikers setup.

I ride the lake when it freezes. It hasn't for two years though:confused: The smaller lakes freeze over. Riding on a frozen lake at night is quite a thrill.
View attachment 132411

Heading out again...
Epic. Did not realize you were in upstate as well.

I’m in Syracuse. I love your bikes with those huge chain rings: are those custom fab? What crank are you pairing with it.

Beautiful day for a ride. I took out my old Giant ATX. I ran into a stick, which sheared off my rear derailleur bolt, which caused a skid, at 5.4 miles. I did a hike a bike short cut back but there was shin deep mud puddles. I enjoyed the walk. I saw two beaver dams and saw bear skat. 395 + 5 + 5 for the Giant = 405.
20200809_085211.jpg
15969865398282005417911.jpg

Last edited:
This guy is tougher than leather^
Our riding experiences are way different. Said you enjoyed so I liked that.

Nice day for a ride.

Beautiful day for a ride. I took out my old Giant ATX. I ran into a stick, which sheared off my rear derailleur bolt, which caused a skid, at 5.4 miles. I did a hike a bike short cut back but there was shin deep mud puddles. I enjoyed the walk. I saw two beaver dams and saw bear skat. 395 + 5 + 5 for the Giant = 405.View attachment 132666View attachment 132667
You earn every mile like no one else!!!!

It's hot now 85F. I took Luigi, the rod brake bike out on the bike path. It's a Luigi Ganna Italian gents go to market urbab/rural single speed. 20 miles + 5 for Luigi = 430 points.View attachment 132688
Sweet; I’ve been looking for a fairly priced rod brake bike for about a year; I got a lead on one now in Oswego... we’ll see how that goes.

Can you enlighten me on the background of the rod brake? I have no idea where they came from.... they just look super cool to me

Day 18. Another splendid ride. Start 3:15 end 6:00 pm
336+40=376

7 mile mark is an artistic 9/11 tribute piece. There are several about.
911tribute2.jpg

Fine details including waves in the river.
911tribute1.jpg

Caught up with a couple or riders on the way back. Good fun trading position. Needed a break though. Think I hurt my knee jumping at the skate park the day before. Kinda sore now.

Finished beside Old Glory.
old glory.jpg

Trying for another 40 tom....

Sweet; I’ve been looking for a fairly priced rod brake bike for about a year; I got a lead on one now in Oswego... we’ll see how that goes.

Can you enlighten me on the background of the rod brake? I have no idea where they came from.... they just look super cool to me
I did no research on this topic but I think they were all purpose commuters. The enclosed chain makes it extremely difficult to change a rear tire but you get no chain grease on your pants when riding, even in the rain. A gent could go someplace and not have a greasey leg. The rods eliminate the possibility of a cable breaking, the need for adjustment or the cable rusting in place. A special rim is necessary as the rubber brake shoes are pulled up and hit the rim next to the spokes. I found mine leaning against an old rundown house in an old mining community that’s heading ghost town way. I think I paid $50 for it abour 4 years ago. All I have ever seen were single speeds, but they probably made three speeds as well, but that’s a guess. The only thing that could go wrong is a flat or chain break. So I think the appeal was clean, simple and reliable.

Day 18. Another splendid ride. Start 3:15 end 6:00 pm
336+40=376

7 mile mark is an artistic 9/11 tribute piece. There are several about.
View attachment 132740
Fine details including waves in the river.
View attachment 132742

Caught up with a couple or riders on the way back. Good fun trading position. Needed a break though. Think I hurt my knee jumping at the skate park the day before. Kinda sore now.

Finished beside Old Glory.
View attachment 132749

Trying for another 40 tom....
I do 40 and I need three days rest before my heart rate goes back to normal. I think two hours is a better fit for my age. Two days of 40 miles really is impressive on vintage bikes. I did 81 miles last week on a modern road bike and I was a mess after. That didn’t count, the bike was not vintage. New smooth asphalt so it was easy on the body and it was cool out, but it was still a very extreme exhausted feeling the last few miles for me. Thirty is probably the max I should do now a days.

Latest posts

Back