Sort of virtual classic bicycle 31 day race

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its turned cold and wet. Mid 50s every night and low 60s during the day with too much all day poring rain to ride. No rain yesterday so I cut wood and did a little shooting with my shotgun, not that I can hit birds anymore. Today it’s partly sunny and unsettled, but the gale force north winds have turned gently south. I’m going to pretend I’m a tourist and go sight seeing, look at fall color leaves and drive on country roads looking for more places to gravel bike adventure. I sure picked the right 31 days, as the weather here has turned too unsettled to be able to ride a lot of days consecutively. Now that it is cooling off I hope more people will take up this virtual vintage challenge race. If they enjoy it half as much as I did then they will have a blast.

Now that it is cooling off I hope more people will take up this virtual vintage challenge race. If they enjoy it half as much as I did then they will have a blast.

It was only about 100 here yesterday, so soon :rofl:

I get a lot of riding in over the winter months down here. I can get out and bike path with 90% less tourists and gravel grind with 90% less logging trucks

Ugh yeah, on my ride to the burger stand this weekend, the trail in one section was covered in red leaves. I stopped to try and find the responsible tree and give it a piece of my mind. No dice, but all the nice people got an interesting spectacle, I'm sure.
"Local Cyclist Screams, Shakes Fist at Trees"

Scavenger night!!!!

So, I got a meeting tonight up at my church..... I need to get creative as I can’t get a full ride in!!!!

1 mile on each 20” bike!!!! I thought these itty-bitty cranks were going to give me a heart attack!!!! Good grief my quads are toast!!!! + 10 for the bikes combined.... 521 MTD points.... and I’ll try to eek out 4 more points and ride the ghost to my church meeting and back!!!!
0AC158EC-F5D1-449E-899B-F715C0960C32.jpeg
EFDC3EFE-DC0E-484A-98BC-60F8D3D54A9C.jpeg

...In the name of the father and of the son and of the GALLOPING GHOST, whoever rides the furthest gets the most!

4 more points, for an even 525 points for the 31 day stretch!!!!
8BDB6F55-F44E-49DC-A36F-A45F3C65BB50.jpeg
C1F50FCB-6909-418A-A694-37FB2A13488A.jpeg

So, that’s it! I gave it my best, had a ball, logged some fun miles on some cool old bikes!!! (Dusted them off and got them back alive as well). -I rode some rides that I’ve never done..... just a great, great 31 days.

This was a Great experience, great fun, and I’m glad we all (to date) made it through safely.

Thanks for sponsoring the event @us56456712 and thanks for riding with us @hamppea .

This thing was a total blast and we’ll have to do it again next summer!!!

Thanks again, do good & God bless!!

Congrats, 525 points + lifting is an excellent workout! Your heart loves you. Slick bikes and one made just for the event! I'm sure you learnt a thing or two, I certainly did. Keep on going. See you again at the next event. Ride safe, have fun and remain healthy to all participants.

uh, just 1 mile each eh!?:giggle:

Peace

Congrats, 525 points + lifting is an excellent workout! Your heart loves you. Slick bikes and one made just for the event! I'm sure you learnt a thing or two, I certainly did. Keep on going. See you again at the next event. Ride safe, have fun and remain healthy to all participants.

uh, just 1 mile each eh!?:giggle:

Peace
Thanks!!!!! so, I was definitely on a time crunch last night, although, I’m not sure I could have made it more than a mile on those 20” bikes even if I had more time!!!

Every stroke I made on those bikes I swore you were crazy!!!! lol

I’ve never noticed until I rode the bikes back to back. If you look closely at the AMF, check out the crank on that.... it’s like 3” !!!!

The stingray crank felt like double the length and it’s a standard Stingray crank, which I think is 4”?

In any regard, I love riding bikes and definitely LOVE “outside the box” rides, BUT, rest assured, after grinding on those 2 stock rides for only 2 miles, I have no grand plans of hopping up a 20” bike and turning it into a cross county cruiser!!!

I do have a funky 2-piece 20” bike that I think would allow more extension I have debated putting a larger crank on for longer rides....
485065EF-44AB-43AF-B9C3-641422551043.jpeg

Ugh yeah, on my ride to the burger stand this weekend, the trail in one section was covered in red leaves. I stopped to try and find the responsible tree and give it a piece of my mind. No dice, but all the nice people got an interesting spectacle, I'm sure.
"Local Cyclist Screams, Shakes Fist at Trees"
I just cry.

Thanks!!!!! so, I was definitely on a time crunch last night, although, I’m not sure I could have made it more than a mile on those 20” bikes even if I had more time!!!

Every stroke I made on those bikes I swore you were crazy!!!! lol

I’ve never noticed until I rode the bikes back to back. If you look closely at the AMF, check out the crank on that.... it’s like 3” !!!!

The stingray crank felt like double the length and it’s a standard Stingray crank, which I think is 4”?

In any regard, I love riding bikes and definitely LOVE “outside the box” rides, BUT, rest assured, after grinding on those 2 stock rides for only 2 miles, I have no grand plans of hopping up a 20” bike and turning it into a cross county cruiser!!!

I do have a funky 2-piece 20” bike that I think would allow more extension I have debated putting a larger crank on for longer rides....
View attachment 136833
I have one of these Sears bolt apart bikes that I put longer cranks on. Pedal strike is a big problem but you soon learn not to pedal or lean with the pedal down on any corner. I put a Bendix 2 speed blue band kick back on it. I got the blue band at a Re-Store for $1.00. I laced alloy rims front and back. The Re-Store had all the stuff from an old closed bike shop in a small rural town of 1700. They had spokes, steel rims, old style bars, fenders, guards, misc. parts and hubs.

What were your proudest days? Mine was 56 miles in 4:07:48 on day 27 with a single speed. I pissed away the first 5mi admiring scenery. When a fast rider past me I matched his speed for about 12 miles. Carbed up the night before along with a high protein breakfast, had plenty left when he split. Typically I stop at the 16mi mark but pushed on until the 28mi turn around. By then I was out of water. Wasted little time and charged to the nearest service station 7mi away while staying ahead of two fairly quick riders most of the time. Fueled up for about 5min and proceeded to tackle the climb back. Still feeling energized I met up with a rider who was going all the way. We switched places a few. I continued to stay low on the bars and kept pedaling nonstop. Having a comfortable seat sure helped. Conditions had to have been ideal. That's going to be a heck of a time for me to beat.

Great question!

I don’t know if any specific ride that stands out for me, but there were a lot of moments I won’t forget soon:
Finally getting off my TREK 3900!
Hitting my body weight target after 2 years of diet/exercise
Almost getting hit by a kid flying into parking lot for a pizza
Almost getting hit by a wee-wee in a BMW trying to beat
Me across an intersection going left on green
Logging 130 miles on bikes and components pulled from
Trash
Doing 12 miles with a “lake racer” and having him tell me I’m
In the top 5 fastest riders on the lake (on an ‘89 10 spd)
Riding a mid 60’s Murray rust bucket with 1 brake 25 miles!
Lol!
Rides around the lake on “off days” with wifey!
Variety of rides: Raleigh 10 spd, huffy Savannah, Murray
something, Ross women’s bike, Peugeot road bike, Schwinn
Stingray, AMF Renegade, Rollfast, Westen Flyer
Riding by a PURPLE house out on a country road that was
BEAUTIFUL
Finally riding to the NYState fairgrounds

That’s all I can think of for now...... lots of fun. Lots of memories.

Thanks again guy: we should try to meet somewhere for a ride....

So, looks like we’re running out of days here for others to take the challenge!!!

I’m not grinding like I was, but still grinding.

-with the shorter days and daylight savings, I’m pushed to do my weekday rides in the dark. (And cold)

here’s tonight’s ride on the west shore trail (the back side of Onondaga Lake)

the front side has an exhibition going on, Lights on the Lake, which is basically a 2 1/2 mile drive through Christmas lights. You can see the stretch in the background.

Due to the exhibit, the front side is closed to exercisers like me, and only open for paying cars only. I had to take roads to the backside lake trail.
3E7EDADB-7EE0-4B41-AE41-C82E2E2285B8.jpeg

So, looks like we’re running out of days here for others to take the challenge!!!

I’m not grinding like I was, but still grinding.

-with the shorter days and daylight savings, I’m pushed to do my weekday rides in the dark. (And cold)

here’s tonight’s ride on the west shore trail (the back side of Onondaga Lake)

the front side has an exhibition going on, Lights on the Lake, which is basically a 2 1/2 mile drive through Christmas lights. You can see the stretch in the background.

Due to the exhibit, the front side is closed to exercisers like me, and only open for paying cars only. I had to take roads to the backside lake trail.
View attachment 144312
Going to be over 50 tom. I'll be out riding for sure!

Latest posts

Back