Sort of virtual classic bicycle 31 day race

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got stuffed tonight. Haven't eaten pie in a year. Felt my blood sugar rise. Had to ride it off. +15mi

Takin' a leak by ramp-rock. Gotta hit it just right or else.
takinaleak.jpg

We get reach low 30mph in a line here.
drag.jpg

Full moon.
fullmoon1.jpg

Heading back.
fullmoonTG1.jpg

The Mandalorian E4...

Haven't had a York Peppermint Patty in over 30 years. Like eating toothpaste:confused:

Happy Thanksgiving
..png

Last edited:
Got stuffed tonight. Haven't eaten pie in a year. Felt my blood sugar rise. Had to ride it off. +15mi

Takin' a leak by ramp-rock. Gotta hit it just right or else.View attachment 144840

We get reach low 30mph in a line here. View attachment 144843

Full moon.
View attachment 144841

Heading back.
View attachment 144842

The Mandalorian E4...

Haven't had a York Peppermint Patty in over 30 years. Like eating toothpaste:confused:

Happy ThanksgivingView attachment 144849
Great action pic’ on the trail!

I’m glad people are putting on miles, now that the weather is cooler. It’s been warm here, lowest 11 f at night but it has mostly been in the 20s to 40 f so there is very little snow. Just enough so the cars have packed the gravel roads to semi ice. I’ve been riding my old Specialized mountain bike with studs. I rode four miles with my first bigger climbs since my knee replacement today. My new knee felt great, the other one no so. Keep on piling up the miles and having fun doing it.

What were your proudest days? Mine was 56 miles in 4:07:48 on day 27 with a single speed. I pissed away the first 5mi admiring scenery. When a fast rider past me I matched his speed for about 12 miles. Carbed up the night before along with a high protein breakfast, had plenty left when he split. Typically I stop at the 16mi mark but pushed on until the 28mi turn around. By then I was out of water. Wasted little time and charged to the nearest service station 7mi away while staying ahead of two fairly quick riders most of the time. Fueled up for about 5min and proceeded to tackle the climb back. Still feeling energized I met up with a rider who was going all the way. We switched places a few. I continued to stay low on the bars and kept pedaling nonstop. Having a comfortable seat sure helped. Conditions had to have been ideal. That's going to be a heck of a time for me to beat.
Mine was the 102 mile ride that I finished in freezing rain. The plan was for 123 miles on a single speed but I had to go back and get a multi speed bike after 31 miles. It started to get dark and rain so I could only do the 100. Next time I try this I’m starting early in the dark and pick a nicer day, calm, cool and dry.

I rode four miles with my first bigger climbs since my knee replacement today. My new knee felt great, the other one no so. Keep on piling up the miles and having fun doing it.
Glad the replacement worked out:113: Start over again.

Snow too deep & powder. Only one out making tracks. E-bikes:chicken: +0.5mi, felt like 5.
IMG1.jpg

End of the line.

IMG2.jpg

Riding over shoveled snow.
IMG3.jpg

IMG4.jpg

Glad the replacement worked out:113: Start over again.

Snow too deep & powder. Only one out making tracks. E-bikes:chicken: +0.5mi, felt like 5.
View attachment 146700
End of the line.

View attachment 146702

Riding over shoveled snow.
View attachment 146703
View attachment 146704
Wow, that will mess up riding. I’m just back from eight mile ride. Last year at this time we had already gotten over seven feet of snow. Now we have basically a dusting. It’s warm enough that I don’t need a jacket, bar hand shields with hot packs or face shield to ride. Today it looks like this. I like it.
image.jpg

+4mi:blush: felt like a lot more. Took just as long to get down as up. Fun though:happy: Still no riders, just ski tracks.
wedge.jpg

I wish I had seen this sooner. Between xmas and new years I think I did over 200 miles on different bikes, the newest being my Article One prototype made in 2010, so I guess that does not count as vintage, but it is steel! (see pic) E
0DF02325-3383-47A6-BC99-626393B23CE2-7467-000004D41506C2F3.jpg
3C7DE3BA-0A96-4095-B9BB-8D3A8ACC8A7B-7467-000004D423176299.jpg
9F05B7A0-4EE7-4897-94D3-65D4B68D47F5-7467-000004D4116E8DC3.jpg
695D8AC2-704E-4B97-80AB-0E0FB442A4DE-7467-000004D4042378F9.jpg
B72C7B0C-D4A0-4C4D-A2C7-171EC9EB3BAF-7467-000004D429B529C1.jpg
IMG_0043.JPG
asily did near 10k of climbing on the total of those jaunts. I don't record mileage though, others do and I just go "ok, that is why I'm so sore". I love the idea, we all need things to motivate us to ride more. :) Some pics from going to Santa Barbara, we did a 11 mile fire road and then went down some blown out single track that was pass/fail near all the way down.

I wish I had seen this sooner. Between xmas and new years I think I did over 200 miles on different bikes, the newest being my Article One prototype made in 2010, so I guess that does not count as vintage, but it is steel! (see pic) EView attachment 148351View attachment 148352View attachment 148353View attachment 148354View attachment 148355View attachment 148356asily did near 10k of climbing on the total of those jaunts. I don't record mileage though, others do and I just go "ok, that is why I'm so sore". I love the idea, we all need things to motivate us to ride more. :) Some pics from going to Santa Barbara, we did a 11 mile fire road and then went down some blown out single track that was pass/fail near all the way down.
I would count this bike as vintage, not any real difference as far as making it modern. Today I rode 12 miles on my home groomed trails. I use a 4 wheeler and sometimes drag an old wheel and tire. We only have 5 inches of snow this year and it’s been warm. Thirty at night and 33 in the day so the trail is hard. I stopped today on a gravel stretch and it was so slippery I could hardly stand. Tomorrow I’ll use studs. Here is what it usually looks like this time of year. My single speed slush bike made from a Walmart Kent thruster. It’s only used for a few weeks during spring salt break up. I wish I had winter riding like you guys.
4BFE872C-6C0C-41CB-873E-0B923C1756A2.jpeg

I would count this bike as vintage, not any real difference as far as making it modern. Today I rode 12 miles on my home groomed trails. I use a 4 wheeler and sometimes drag an old wheel and tire. We only have 5 inches of snow this year and it’s been warm. Thirty at night and 33 in the day so the trail is hard. I stopped today on a gravel stretch and it was so slippery I could hardly stand. Tomorrow I’ll use studs. Here is what it usually looks like this time of year. My single speed slush bike made from a Walmart Kent thruster. It’s only used for a few weeks during spring salt break up. I wish I had winter riding like you guys.View attachment 148380
Yeah, it is expensive as all get out to live here but if you're an outdoorsy type there is no better place! I don't get people who live in Cali and sit at home watching TV, you could do that anywhere. Been all over, rode a lot of raved about trails in other places, diven hours to do so and always felt like there was something within a 1/2 hour drive from my house that was equal if not better. Nice to see new places and all but I think in a 30 mile radius from my home I could ride different trail every day for a month.

Yeah, it is expensive as all get out to live here but if you're an outdoorsy type there is no better place! I don't get people who live in Cali and sit at home watching TV, you could do that anywhere. Been all over, rode a lot of raved about trails in other places, diven hours to do so and always felt like there was something within a 1/2 hour drive from my house that was equal if not better. Nice to see new places and all but I think in a 30 mile radius from my home I could ride different trail every day for a month.
Some of my friends did over 1000 miles of dirt in one continuous ride last summer going around the outer margin of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It’s mostly dirt and gravel up here but they are constantly ruining perfectly good roads by paving them. I live in the middle of the Hiawatha National Forrest and can ride over 100 miles of dirt from my front door. The problem is that you can only ride dirt for five months. The spring you can only ride dirt roads that were plowed and they melt off early. By the middle of May there are still a few snow banks on the roadside but then the black flies are real bad followed by mosquitos, then stable flies, then deer fly swarms and finally horse fly swarms. You don’t want to stop. So we have August, September and October. By then days get short and it’s getting cool. So I gotta go ride in California again. Last time was in 1970. I loved it.

Some of my friends did over 1000 miles of dirt in one continuous ride last summer going around the outer margin of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It’s mostly dirt and gravel up here but they are constantly ruining perfectly good roads by paving them. I live in the middle of the Hiawatha National Forrest and can ride over 100 miles of dirt from my front door. The problem is that you can only ride dirt for five months. The spring you can only ride dirt roads that were plowed and they melt off early. By the middle of May there are still a few snow banks on the roadside but then the black flies are real bad followed by mosquitos, then stable flies, then deer fly swarms and finally horse fly swarms. You don’t want to stop. So we have August, September and October. By then days get short and it’s getting cool. So I gotta go ride in California again. Last time was in 1970. I loved it.
I was incubating in 1970! :)

Latest posts

Back