space-E-liner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My community co-op bike shop finally opened its doors since COVID closed them for so many months. When I walked in for the first time in over a year, this Spaceliner greeted me. I got her for $100. I've built several e-bikes recently, but sold them right away. I'm building this one into an e-bike just for me. Here's how she looks after a cleaning and removal of a crusty chain and pedals. I don't have a solid plan for it just yet.
IMG_3198.JPG

Like all my builds, it'll be strictly bolt-on, with nothing to ruin the integrity of the bike itself.

Wow! That's a beauty my Sonoran Dessert friend! Great to have SD in the BO again.

Seems e-bikes are really popular this year on RRB BO. I know you've been doing it for awhile, looking forward to your build.

RaT e-oN~!

My community co-op bike shop finally opened its doors since COVID closed them for so many months. When I walked in for the first time in over a year, this Spaceliner greeted me. I got her for $100. I've built several e-bikes recently, but sold them right away. I'm building this one into an e-bike just for me. Here's how she looks after a cleaning and removal of a crusty chain and pedals. I don't have a solid plan for it just yet.
View attachment 156370
Like all my builds, it'll be strictly bolt-on, with nothing to ruin the integrity of the bike itself.

Coolest frame to ever come out of the 60s.
Glad to see you in mix. Killer score!

Flightliner then it’s cooler spaceliner brethren are the reason I started playing with vintage bikes! I’ll follow any build that uses a spaceliner.

Seems like a big shiny front hub motor would work well on that Spaceliner.
-A mid-drive will cause you to change that unique crankset and may interfere with the original chain guard.
-It will be tough to squeeze a hub motor between the rear dropouts and you would lose the coaster brake.

Seems like a big shiny front hub motor would work well on that Spaceliner.
-A mid-drive will cause you to change that unique crankset and may interfere with the original chain guard.
-It will be tough to squeeze a hub motor between the rear dropouts and you would lose the coaster brake.
You are absolutely right! I'm keeping the original coaster brake rear wheel, have some very cool bolt-on down tube mounts for the battery pack, and will use a front hub motor on a chrome disk brake fork. I think 1000W and 28 mph is more than enough for an old cruiser conversion. I'll order the kit and battery on my next Mastercard cycle. You know how that goes.

Some progress. I pinched a Monark-style fork of one of my motorized bikes and added a slingshot stem and Clubman-style bars. The fork has that oh-so-important disc brake tab.
View attachment 157130View attachment 157131
Did not expect that!

sd, have you used that exact Monark before? I'm pretty sure I have the same one in black. The front end started oscillating in the upper 20s. The original fork didn't. At low speeds is was perfectly fine.

Wow! And not to mention that cool mag wheel up front!

Looking good SD!

Did not expect that!

sd, have you used that exact Monark before? I'm pretty sure I have the same one in black. The front end started oscillating in the upper 20s. The original fork didn't. At low speeds is was perfectly fine.
I'll keep my fingers crossed, but if I have to, I'll buy (gasp!) a chrome BMX-style fork witha disc-brake dropout.

The inside of the chain guard is a bit rusty. After I treat it, I'll decide whether to keep it as is, or paint the inside blue to tell the world it's electric. A bit of blue trim here and there will add to the e- persona.

Latest posts

Back