Space liner to 7spd!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was probably write about before but I now have some parts to complete my spaceliner,maybe! How hard is to put a seven SPD rear into this frame? What I have is a complete derailure and wheel set so I won't have to rebuild the rear wheel. Also what do you do about brakes? As always thanks for any and all help!

Put derailleur on Schwinn Heavy Duti frame for my Winter Build off bike. Was not too difficult as I never tried it before.
index.php
Brakes were easy too, I used the rear fender mount for the rear brake and the front came along with the suspension fork.:)
index.php

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/orbo-heavy-duti-rocket.96626/

Also maybe check out this build by
Georgeediii

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/orbo-one-bad-amfer-finished.96342/

index.php

Thanks Horse farmer! Mounting the derailleur that have won't be to hard. I was thinking about having to spread the frame out. I thinking the real issue will be the rear brake . The mounting hole on my frame is vertical on the Schwinn it is horizontal. The adventure is learning how to adopt. As far as the front brake I will be using a springer type from, like what was on the bike in first place. So it will be brakeless. Thanks!

Last edited:
7spd wheel is much wider then I thought which means I might need to find a 5spd rear. I'm sure I have one somewhere in my stack of junk bike parts. I think I know how to hand the brake issue too. Fun n games

I had to spread the rear drop outs 1" on my Schwinn - used and old car jack to spread them - worked like a charm.
index.php
index.php

Was out with some friend tonight and found an old Huffy Stana be thinking I might steal the rear wheel off it. At least have cruiser till the right parts come along. Then the problem is what to do with the frame of the Santa Fa.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a multi-speed Spaceliner. You'll have to spread the dropouts to accommodate the wider 130mm hub. Also, the gear cluster expects a 3/32" chain, slightly narrower than the one the bike used originally. Something to keep in mind while you're chasing shifting phantoms.

If this were my project, I might be tempted to mount disc brake hubs to be totally slick.

Yeah disc brakes would be totally great. I'm out of work so all my projects are scaled way back so to buy those hub are out of the question.I have a 6spd wheel set too. Perhaps that would be narrower. I know that Sheldon Brown had an article about doing the spread. Back to the disc brakes thing all chrome space liner with black disc brakes and red rims......

Last edited:
Worked on it last night. I put some chipmunk hangers (medium raise ape hangers) on it. Had found a wallymart huffy Santa Fe put the tires,26x2.125 on it. This old tank rides nice. I still want to do the mult speed thing to it. But I still wanted to ride before the end of summer. Now the issue is to figure out what to do with the Santa Fe. I seen what people here did to Cran Brooks thinking that the Santa Fe is not that much different.

Last edited:
You know how it rides is the best thing about building your own bike. Getting it "just so" is a great thing.:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back