Spaceliner Before & Half After

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did several ways that people say to get rust of chrome but I don't think it will be ever back to the way it was without rechroming because of all the holes/pits the rust made into the chrome which I just can't afford to do or I would have to paint it, maybe sell it to someone that has done their own rechroming before.
PICT1109-.jpg

PICT1220.jpg

PICT1224.jpg

PICT1223.jpg

PICT1222.jpg

I personally think it looks a lot better :wink:

First I did was lemon juice & tin foil then I used a very very fine steel wool with lemon juice which cleaned it better than with the tin foil because the tin foil made it black as I was cleaning it but I need to figure out in between areas of the bike, I used a glove the second time to keep the black from the tin foil off my fingers because it was real hard to clean them the first time.

I would of did a Oxalic Acid bath. Just let it sit for a day and no rubbing or scrubbing. You'd be really surprised.

I usually stay away from chemicals like that and I don't have the money to do that anyway but if I did have the money I also like evapo-rust which worked great on my Wald stem.

Sweet, I gotta try lemon juice :mrgreen:

kngtmat said:
I have heard several times but it's still It's too dangerous for me to try.
I stick my hands right in it. it is not really bad. You use about 3 table spons of it for 5 gallons of water. It is also for sale at ACE hardware called wood bleach used for cleaning your deck. It sounds worse than it really is. it is fairly non-toxic. It won't reck paint or anything. once you try it you will never use anything else again. It is $9 for a tub at ACE hardware that will make about 40 gallons. Believe me, it is easy! And you can dump it right down the drain. Chris

chris-y777 said:
kngtmat said:
I stick my hands right in it. it is not really bad. You use about 3 table spons of it for 5 gallons of water. It is also for sale at ACE hardware called wood bleach used for cleaning your deck. It sounds worse than it really is. it is fairly non-toxic. It won't reck paint or anything. once you try it you will never use anything else again. It is $9 for a tub at ACE hardware that will make about 40 gallons. Believe me, it is easy! And you can dump it right down the drain. Chris
Can't buy it in California :x

My only reservation with dipping a frame in Oxalic acid or even the prep for a re-chrome is that it will enter the inside of the frame and it will be very difficult to completely rinse out.

I'm not a metallurgist, but this could lead to corrosion that you may not see until your face is planted into the road.

Internal damage and corrosion is another reason I never use a garden hose to clean a bicycle.

John

Gold Street Customs said:
chris-y777 said:
kngtmat said:

Oh ya you can, I get it at Ace right down the street, comes in a pint tub... :roll:

Gold Street Customs said:
chris-y777 said:
kngtmat said:
yes you can. I bought some just a couple of weeks ago at Rockler Woodworking. I don't know if there are some near your location though.

here's the link
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... lic%20acid

laguna454 said:
My only reservation with dipping a frame in Oxalic acid or even the prep for a re-chrome is that it will enter the inside of the frame and it will be very difficult to completely rinse out.

I'm not a metallurgist, but this could lead to corrosion that you may not see until your face is planted into the road.

Internal damage and corrosion is another reason I never use a garden hose to clean a bicycle.

John
That is exactly why I strip a bike down to the frame, rinse out all the frame with water then use compressed air to blow it out. Guess I'll find out if that's a bad thing 20 years from now....... But so far so good. If your really worried, you could spray in some WD-40 and let it cover the whole inside of the bike frame. I have found bikes that have been out in the rain for 20-30-40+ years and havent rusted from the inside out. One was split from the water freezing inside the frame but never rusted through. That's my .02. And just try oxalic acid/wood bleach to remove rust. It is unbeatable. I have parts in it right now. You can buy it at ACE Hardware in California.
woodbleach.jpg
Taken off a California ace hardware website. However, it probably causes cancer in California! Ha-ha! Try it already. Chris

Latest posts

Back