SpaceLiner: DevilWing - build completed.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: a Spaceliner (which one to be determined)

Picked one yet :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Or do you have to many to decide! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
L8 EM

TheDuke said:
Picked one yet :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Or do you have to many to decide! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
L8 EM
must be it :mrgreen: man i wish i had that problem!

:| I was going to build a spaceliner for this build too.. Do you care if i build the same bike? :) Please?

TheDuke said:
L8 EM
yes.
2555726494_37fc5e35dd.jpg

ricksterr1221 said:
:| I was going to build a spaceliner for this build too.. Do you care if i build the same bike? :) Please?
All is fair in bike-build-offs and war. :wink: I'd love to see other Spaceliners in the game. As long as we don't pick the same parts and components. Make em each our own.

Anyway, it was hard for me to make up my mind, I have Bike A.D.D. and I have a bunch of projects going on at once, several bike piles around my apartment. I finally got my new camera lens so I was taking pictures earlier and made up my mind. These were my other options:

Option 1:
2555726188_a49e5a7090.jpg

The Star Destroyer - My first Spaceliner, I am in the middle of adding the tank and swapping some parts out and making it a 3-speed. BUT I decided that this wasn't much of a "build", more of an upgrade, and decided it wasn't right for the build off.

Option 2:
2555725954_71cb2d7e3c.jpg

The Star Fighter - I posted this in the build section a while back when I had first accumulated the parts, and then it got ignored for a little while (bike A.D.D.), but I finally am getting the 3-speed wheel built and I have another 3-speed shifter like the one on the Star Destroyer. BUT this is an older project that really just needs to get put together, not much of a challenge or adventure at this point, and again, not right for the build off.

so, finally, Option 3! My choice:
2555725750_14c4f3fd12_b.jpg

DevilWing - Ignore the Western Flyer English bike behind it, I just propped up all the parts in front of it for a picture. I had posted this in the build section after I had just gotten the frame and wheels. It hadn't gotten any farther than that as I still tracked down parts. I was really specific with what I wanted, so I had to wait till what I was looking for would show up in an auction or sale. I have pretty much every thing I will need (I think). But how it will all go together will be interesting.

Here are the old mockups when I just had the frame, truss rods, wheels, grips and chain. (You can see the difference between my digital cameras here):

2446490621_6195a17d25_b.jpg

It will be one half of a pair of battle cruisers, DevilWing and AngelWing. They are the angel and devil on my shoulders, one telling me to buy more bikes, the other telling me to save my money...
2460250631_8f688e5349_b.jpg

But of course, I can only enter one bike, so ignore AngelWing, just envision...

DevilWing...
2446488193_77dd04b14b_b.jpg

Re: SpaceLiner: DevilWing

K sweet dude, the build is ON!!!!!! :D :D :D :mrgreen:

GREAT stuff, GREAT collection!
Beautiful frame!

I wish my wifee would let work on bikes in the house....or even bring them in the house.
Man, it's been HOT out in the garage,

I have been on vacation this week, and I have been lazily hanging around my apartment, and spending a little time working on the bikes. I also finally picked up some necessary tools, such as a file set to make room in the forks for the new wheels.

2630992590_bf2a9ba55e.jpg

With the new bike stand (worth every penny!) it was easy to put parts on for a mockup. I was messing around with this until the wee hours of the morning (that's why I am posting this so early in the day).

While checking to see if the varsity stem fit I grabbed a shot of the bike in roadie mode, just for fun:
2630172997_ea2f1fca19.jpg

But seriously, this is more the look I am going for:
2630992978_fc2d25cbf2_b.jpg

2630993746_7a36bcef7a_b.jpg

I will need a bent seat post to get that positioning, and I think I might have to cut off a few inches from the ends of those bars. And obviously that pre-war chainguard will need to get painted. It's more orange than it looked on ebay.

2630173727_0325ec5ded_b.jpg

I am going to re-do the headlight mount, get it positioned lower and closer to the head tube. And of course find a permanent way of attaching the tank.
2630993356_d5afe5cf02.jpg

and of course, there are some special touches...
2630173373_60ff117dd1.jpg

So, progress! I had to dismantle this mockup and attach a chain so that I could take it out for a sunrise cruise, just to see how it rode. I ended up having to borrow a few parts from another SpaceLiner to make that happen. I took pics but I haven't uploaded them yet. I will post them soon.

Re: SpaceLiner: DevilWing (progress...)

WOW! Both versions look GREAT! I've always liked the Spaceliner, stock. I would not have guessed it had so much "potential". I really, really like it. 8)

saw 2 spaceliners today on my work route and made me wonder how your build was comin !! lookin good but those bars look like theyd be stabbin your knees :shock:

I really like how the hubshiners / tank / pedals go together.

Thanks guys! Glad you're diggin it.

Here are the pics from my sunrise test ride. I had to take off the parts that weren't actually attached yet, and borrow a few from another SpaceLiner, just to see how it rode on those big fat reds.

2632135764_615b1e7d49.jpg

I am not sure why I didn't just use the bars I intend to put on the bike. I guess at that point I was just anxious to get out and ride and any bars would do. So ignore these bars, I am still going to use those ones from the mockup. And I think I might go with a black chain instead of the red. In the daylight, the red actually looks more pinkish purple. Not exactly what I am going for.

And does anyone think it would be a bad idea for me to paint the rims black? I am leaning towards that after looking at these pictures. I don't know, I guess I still have plenty of time to think about it.

Here are more pics, it was a beautiful morning to ride:
2632136270_1d9d289991_b.jpg

2631313949_32c5017d7c.jpg

2631314725_5edc580138.jpg

2631315717_f8a4df719a.jpg

Again, this was just a test ride, I am not done yet.

Issues I still need to address:
- find (or somehow manufacture) a bent seatpost
- find a stem bolt and wedge that will fit the Varsity stem (over 6" and for 21.1)
- trim a few inches off the bars
- re-do headlight mount
- paint chainguard
- attach tank

A cat in my VW gang just acquired this Cosmic Flyer.

zozo said:
If nothing else I'll hang it in my office.

CIMG0485.jpg

CIMG0484.jpg

He's not really a bike nut, but he won't just give it to me either.
Same frame, yes?

Your bike is GORGEOUS, JoeyMac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back