BO15 Blue Bomber Curbhopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I blasted a Schwinn Varsity with a hand held blaster, it took about 45 minutes to do the whole frame and fork. It cost about $25.

As for not being able to clear a bare frame to keep it from rusting, it's not much different from adding a color, just no primer. The problem usually winds up not doing enough research and using the wrong clear. You want a direct to metal clear. Tampco makes a couple of DTM clears.

If I thought the chainstays had fiddle-y bits, the seat stays had something for me! Lots of hard to reach places, lots of hand sanding with little strips of sandpaper, but she dares to be bare:

3E96F464-8544-441C-8997-F5F3F3B137D3.jpeg

Was a gully washer of a rainy week here, and the humidity is still up, especially in the morning, but if we have another day without rain, tomorrow I’ll give it a once-over to remove the flash rust that’s developed, clean, prep, and shoot some paint.

(I been cookin’ up sumpin’ special... you’re gonna love it!)

Oh, still have the fork to do... Just want to get a layer on the bare frame before too much rust happens. Lots more rain in the forecast.

If I thought the chainstays had fiddle-y bits, the seat stays had something for me! Lots of hard to reach places, lots of hand sanding with little strips of sandpaper, but she dares to be bare:

View attachment 122110
Was a gully washer of a rainy week here, and the humidity is still up, especially in the morning, but if we have another day without rain, tomorrow I’ll give it a once-over to remove the flash rust that’s developed, clean, prep, and shoot some paint.

(I been cookin’ up sumpin’ special... you’re gonna love it!)
Sounds like you need to put one of these on your Santa list ?
1590275698803.png

One last shot before paint:

A2507EAF-28D4-4CAA-8B5D-54A926FB5F99.jpeg

I went over it again, getting some of the tough spots better (behind the BB, behind the seat clamp & down the seatstay triangle) and brushed everything as even as possible, removing any signs of rust that had begun.

Wiped down with paint thinner, then the last of my isopropyl alcohol. First coats are on. Weather app showed 82F and 63% humidity. Felt stickier to me, but I’ll be hopeful. It’ll cure until the next dry-ish day, then clear coats.

Somewhere inbetween I’ll strip and paint the fork.

I'm glad I can play the 'straight man' in this comedy show for you guys. :bigsmile:

My GIF is based on John's words,." I’m just waiting for the big reveal in order to build anticipation!"

I know at least a couple of you are old enough to remember that ad, right? Maybe this will help jar your memory....

My Rock Hopper Street Ride.View attachment 123139
Nice!
They really are such sweet frames- super light steel (steel is real!) Only eclipsed by the Stumpjumper Comp level of the same era, (which my wife has) though I’ve heard good things about the Trek line of the time.

I should have more updates soon, good weather finally coming this weekend into next week. I’ve not even had a sunny day to take good pics!

Latest posts

Back