Speed Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started this motorized bike build.. Im going for a long,low drag bike look but with a retro twist.. I want it to look over enginereed and complicated.. :D Tripple clamp fork, 28 inch rear wheel and something smaller up front..

vvv008.jpg

Haven't welded before, so it a learning process to.. :lol:

Sounds fun! I got a welder not too long ago and started teaching myself how to weld. Bikes are a great place to start! Interested to see how you make this "complicated looking".

Ok, did a mock up with the parts i got so far and started to cut the tubes for the rear.. having the day of tomorrow so hopefully i get that bit welded up then.. Probably chop the top of the forks to to see how that looks..

speed001.jpg

Not shure about the placement of the tank though..

Interesting style you've got going. I'd say you could leave a little bit of the fork tubes left above the top tree so you could run clip ons, but as far back as that seat is they would probably be too low to ride in relative comfort. It would be awesome for about a quarter mile though.

Got some bits on today.. The piece wrapped around the head is for looks and to stop the headtube to fall of at 40mph.. (those where welded first :D ) The piece sticking out from the old headtube is for the steering damper, yeah you need one of those to.. :D

And all those fans of smooth welds should stop reading and run away now.. I'm starting to think about this build as a tribute to all those crap welders out there.. This ones for you..

sb001b.jpg

Tomorrow i'll try to figure out how to do the seat.. First i though of a Banana seat but that would make it look like a bicycle to much..

Ok.. So the seat "cluster" is done.. I think im going to try to find some really thick leather and make the saddle myself..

sb2002w.jpg

I started to mock up the support for the fairing (yes, there will be a faring, thats how you shave of seconds on the salt flats :D )

sb2001.jpg

I would like to find some really beat up sheet metall for it and the pop rivet it to the support to give it a airplane vibe but i couldnt find any on todays dumpster hunt, maybe i'll just buy some and beat it up myself..

Thanks for the input and comments! :D

Well sort of, i'm not sure if i want it to extend around the forks.. Im thinking of just letting it sort of wrap around the engine to make the bike look a bit lower.. I realize that there could be some problems with the cranks so i might ditch them, the best foot position is near the rear wheel anyways.. Some pegs and a kick lever that actuates the rear coaster brake by a chain would be cool.. :D

I got the struts and rods for the fairing "sub structure" done today and the welds are slowly getting better.. (some guy is going "wait! have they been worse!!? :shock: .)

sb2002.jpg

And i got a very shiny steering damper in the mail today. Not really feeling the gold, might sand it down a bit, it looks to new. I think the braced struts looks kinda cool to, it adds to the turn of the century air plane vibe i'm after.. Think the Wright brothers goes speedbiking. :D

sb2003.jpg

I might need to add some struts at the rear, but to know where to place them i need to work out the look of the fairing..

sb2004.jpg

I also have a nagging suspicion that the fairing might amplify the sound of the engine like cracy. :D

Ok I wasn't sure where you were going with some of this at first but I can really see it now. I want to see more!

K-dregg said:
Got some bits on today.. The piece wrapped around the head is for looks and to stop the headtube to fall of at 40mph.. (those where welded first :D ) The piece sticking out from the old headtube is for the steering damper, yeah you need one of those to.. :D

And all those fans of smooth welds should stop reading and run away now.. I'm starting to think about this build as a tribute to all those crap welders out there.. This ones for you..

sb001b.jpg

Tomorrow i'll try to figure out how to do the seat.. First i though of a Banana seat but that would make it look like a bicycle to much..
hey buddie you want to do something about those seagulls in your dungeon. lol mate. :D

Got a bit of work done on the fairing. Lots of drilling and putting pieces back on to check if it fits, then more drilling, check again etc before any riveting could be done.. Doing the other side tomorrow and then i need to decide how to join the both sides..

sb3004.jpg

The list of small stuff to do gets longer and longer, i need to weld on tabs for the steering damper and front brake, and i need to figure out how to do the rearbrake.. i have some different ideas how to do that..

Well the theory (well my theory.. :D .) is that reversing the crown makes it more stable at speed, instead of pushing the fork in front of the bike the headtube drags it behind if that makes sense.. I dont think it will affect the ride that much, its mostly for the look..

And i might add that even if i talk about speed im not aiming for the land speed record but its more of playing with ideas and concepts.. And the bike is actully a bit to small for me to ride.. well thats what my kids say atleast :D

Latest posts

Back