SPITFIRED

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Head Honcho
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
www.ratrodbikes.com
I bought this 57 Spitfire today locally for $80.

spitfire001.jpg

Yesterday I picked up a Schwinn DX that had some new Felt cruiser wheels and CST tires and decided to install them on the Spitfire tonight. With a little manipulating they actually fit and there's not even any rubbing on the fenders or frame.

spitfirerat_1600.jpg

Going to see if I can come up with a few more tricks in the next 13 days. :bigsmile:

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Head Honcho
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
www.ratrodbikes.com
The Felt wheels are polished aluminum with 12 gauge spokes.

I got the bike home last night and had been itching to see how the wheel set would look on the bike all day. Within about 30 minutes I was able to test fit them and see that it would work. Rolled it out in the street and shot that photo above.

Not sure that I will do anything to the finish of the bike. Probably just try to remove some dents from the fenders mostly. Biggest goal is to give it a bearing overhaul and make it rideable again. I do have a different set of handlebars that I may try.

This is the vibe I'm shooting for...

DW-1201-SCHD-S6.jpg

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Pro Member
Nov 24, 2012
The Tropics of Alabama
Your bike would look perfect in the bed of that truck!

Keeping with the rat rod style, I think the original saddle might look more fitting. Love the basket too!

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Head Honcho
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
www.ratrodbikes.com
Keeping with the rat rod style, I think the original saddle might look more fitting. Love the basket too!
I'm actually planning to ride this bike on a regular basis so that original seat with a giant crack in the middle is pretty close to riding around on a giant metal spike. :eek:

I also hate that style of seat so off it goes! :21:

The Bike Wall BOXKARS Clyde James Cycles