spoke length

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the correct length and type of spokes are for a mens 26 inch rear with a Higgins Komet hub? I screwed up and didn't measure them properly before I cut them. I believe them to be 10.5 inches long. Thanks,
Jeff

Yes I would like to know the proper way for measuring up for spokes. I heard of some guide that can be down loaded but I haven't seen anything like that.

I did a search on this site in this section and there is a lot of info and links there. Unfortunately I have no spokes to measure. I think I'll take it to my LBS and see what he says.
Jeff

All the original balloon and early midweight wheels I have had have been laced 4cross and used double butted spokes. Unfortunately, I have not found new double-butted spokes at a reasonable price yet. By the later 60's, it seems most inexpensive wheels switched to single gauge spokes.

I have used 270mm (10&5/8") on that hub. Although on higgins drop center rims that proved a little too long and I would round to the short side next time, like 268 or 269mm. I have found 1 to 3 mm differences on rims that look idendical, so measure both!

Many old bikes had 4-cross on the rear and 3 on the front, to add radial stiffness to the front, and to address the rear wheel's need for resistance to hub twisting.
Both 4 or both 3 is common practice on coaster bikes, depending on the age and price range as noted above.

Latest posts

Back