Sportmaster? HELP!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello there, let me take a minute to introduce myself. I am Greg from Spokane Valley, WA. I have always been around bicycles since I was little, but I am just now getting into building them...I am a mechanic and have always loved the look of rat rods! So...today i picked up a sportmaster cruiser. Now, I have never heard of this brand and can't find any information on it. Seeing as how it has a small crack on the top tube it is a perfect candidate for my first rat build bike! does anyone have any information on this bike? I'm thinking of adding truss bars, a big round dome headlight, and possibly some fat frank tires (if I can fit them in the fenders). I am also trying to figure out some custom bars. thank you for reading this thread. if anyone has any info at all on these bikes please help a newbie out!
WIN_20161110_13_57_55_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161110_13_57_17_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161110_13_56_54_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161110_13_56_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161110_13_55_01_Pro.jpg

is there a different model i can look up from rollfast? i tried searching rollfast sportmaster and nothing came up...was this a rebadged rollfast?

Yep. I don't know who sold it with that label though. That style guard and sprocket was used from the late 60s to the end of production in the mid 70s.

Yep. I don't know who sold it with that label though. That style guard and sprocket was used from the late 60s to the end of production in the mid 70s.
Is there any reference for serials from Snyder for these frames, rollfast version?
Thank you
is there a different model i can look up from rollfast? i tried searching rollfast sportmaster and nothing came up...was this a rebadged rollfast?
My rollfast shelf build is same frame. I think they are great frames, but not mutch wheel room.

The only reference I've found is them being sold by a place called Triplett's in Corbin KY along side Rollfast and AMF bicycles in July 1969.

Last edited:
Is there any reference for serials from Snyder for these frames, rollfast version?
Thank you

My rollfast shelf build is same frame. I think they are great frames, but not mutch wheel room.
Is the frame a rollfast shelf build? or is that what you are calling it? I really like this frame, I need to find a seat post that will put the seat a few inches back. I am hoping, but not sure i can put on fat frank tires and still use my fenders

Is the frame a rollfast shelf build? or is that what you are calling it? I really like this frame, I need to find a seat post that will put the seat a few inches back. I am hoping, but not sure i can put on fat frank tires and still use my fenders
Sorry I was trying say. Building the same frame but a rollfast version. Mine has no modle name indicated... I do agree it's an awsome frame style, I was surprised by how tight it is in the stays.. 2.25 will be tight
I started to build it in the strandi section under rollfast shelf pull build..
I'm getting slowed down.. they are a bit different, the bb cups, are actually machined castings... I'm not going be able remove them with out possibly shattering so I have to change crank choice...
I really like them... Different but slick

Those things can probably take the 2.125" that was around when it was new, may have to tweak or delete the fender, maybe add a link if there's room in the dropout. That's probably about it for a stock wheel, however, some guys have had luck using 24"x3", which is close to the same height, but the wide part of tire is further back in the stays.

Personally I wouldn't do much to that bike, maybe toss a comfortable seat and a long post on there, find out whether the flat side or drop center rim is right and find one to match. On the other hand, I won't complain if you make a stretch burrito out of it. :crazy:

As long as there's pictures.:dance2:

Personally I wouldn't do much to that bike, maybe toss a comfortable seat and a long post on there, find out whether the flat side or drop center rim is right and find one to match. On the other hand, I won't complain if you make a stretch burrito out of it. :crazy:

As long as there's pictures.:dance2:
I really am too new to this to understand the lingo, and im sorry if my next questions are stupid, but i don't know...what do you mean by add a link to the dropout? also is a long seat post the ones that are curved back to move the seat back farther? and what do you mean when talking about flat side or drop center rims? does this have 2 types of rims on it? and what do you mean find which one is right? sorry-I have no idea on any of this, im new to it

Sorry I was trying say. Building the same frame but a rollfast version. Mine has no modle name indicated... I do agree it's an awsome frame style, I was surprised by how tight it is in the stays.. 2.25 will be tight
I started to build it in the strandi section under rollfast shelf pull build..
I'm getting slowed down.. they are a bit different, the bb cups, are actually machined castings... I'm not going be able remove them with out possibly shattering so I have to change crank choice...
I really like them... Different but slick
do you have pictures of the bb cups? i want to see it they look like the ones on mine? were you trying to remove them for paint, or for replcement? there is a slight wobble in my bottom bracket so i am hoping just a teardown/re-pack and adjustment will take care of it. if not hopefully i can find a full set that can replace the cups, bearings, and cones

Rad bike for sure! I agree with @deorman , I'd leave it close to as is. Great middle weight!! As for tire clearence, I got 26x2.125s on mine without fenders. Any bigger would be a challenge. @pholTmonx , casted BB cups? I'm curious.. I just popped out the old, and put a whole new BB in mine.

Pic of mine is at the bottom of this page-- http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-see-those-rollfast.39124/page-6

Page 1 has some good examples of this frame style
You guys are awesome! thank you, I definitely have the gears turning in my head for a build with it. do you think the 26x2.125s would be able to fit with the fenders without too much trouble? i would like to keep my fenders on it. where did you get your new bb? thank you again!

I really am too new to this to understand the lingo, and im sorry if my next questions are stupid, but i don't know...what do you mean by add a link to the dropout? also is a long seat post the ones that are curved back to move the seat back farther? and what do you mean when talking about flat side or drop center rims? does this have 2 types of rims on it? and what do you mean find which one is right? sorry-I have no idea on any of this, im new to it
Don't apologize your here for exactly these reasons as I a as well adding a link means making the chain longer and drop outs are where u mount the axel.
The farther back at times allows a bigger tire.
These frames are tight, so limited.
Loner post means just that to put you in the air.
Playback would be what you refer to the bent ones.
The flat and drop refer to the outer hoop on the wheel they should match profiles.

Depends if you want to build a bike you enjoy or restore it to a showroom.
Personally I beleave bikes are to be enjoyed..

do you have pictures of the bb cups? i want to see it they look like the ones on mine? were you trying to remove them for paint, or for replcement? there is a slight wobble in my bottom bracket so i am hoping just a teardown/re-pack and adjustment will take care of it. if not hopefully i can find a full set that can replace the cups, bearings, and cones
1478888036146-430079136.jpg
usually they are stamped steel cups, these are cast iron I had intended to remove for a change to a 3 piece crank design (more like a road bike has)
Your wobble should be able to tighten up from the crank arm side. Remember reverse threaded there and that peddle so clockwise to loosen

Welcome aboard!

I agree made by Snyder who also made Rollfast, same bike. Hardware stores sold those bikes with a different name and model.

Yours is a 71 or later model judging by the BMI sticker on the seat tube. Although it looks like an early 60's bike.

The bottom bracket (BB) is the standard size, bikes today still use that OPC (one piece crank). Most all American bikes used them, then overseas bikes also had them after everything went overseas. But judging from the condition of your bike, they probably just need tightening up a little.

There are 2 things that have reverse threads, the left pedal, and the adjustment side of the cranks, they turn left to tighten.

New grease on the bearings is probably needed, as the old grease is probably hardened by now. I use a cheap tub of axle bearing grease from the auto parts place, but you can also get a tube of bike lube.
You can go by walmart and see the same size cranks on the cruisers. Your old bearings are probably in better shape because of the quality back then.

Same goes for the steering bearings and wheel bearings.
The rear hub has a oil port, that's made for light oil, like 30 weight motor oil or more expensive light fine oil.

How to set the tightness of the bearings might be a little tricky if you've never done it. Just ask here at RRB and someone will explain and show how it's done.

Your bike looks original, even the seat isn't torn up, unusual for a boys bike. The wheels don't match, the rear is probably what should be on there, but with very little wear, maybe it came with a different front rim. If they hit something and changed the front, the forks would show a slight bend, but they are straight.

Yours is a middleweight bike, and came with 26 x 1.75 tires, you may have the originals on it. On some middleweights, I've been able to go up to 26 x 2.125 but had to take the fenders off for that to work. And the wheels had to be very straight.

I would clean and wax it to see how good it looks, but it's your bike, have fun with it and do some custom modification. And make room for more bikes. Here's the Rollfast version from a few years earlier than yours:
bce8e772477e11c5e7574c8ac8cd6b0b.jpg

Last edited:
thanks everyone for the responses. I feel very greatful to be a part of this group now. I was at my local bike co-op and found a pretty cool black leather springer seat for $5. I also put on a pair of bull horn bars upside down and backwards to give it the drop down look I like...I think it looks pretty cool. I sent @slowriderz a message about getting a 90 degree seat post to put the saddle a little farther back I think it would look cool. I also picked up this vintage light to try and install on the front fender...need to try and modify the bracket or find another bracket that would work. Now I need to figure out some type of grips that will work on the bull horns. any suggestions or comments are welcome and appreciated
WIN_20161111_15_31_15_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161111_15_31_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161111_15_31_32_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161111_17_51_41_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161111_17_52_01_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161111_17_52_17_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161111_17_53_11_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back