Springer fork Q - Travel block?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie question... I have a 26" classic springer fork on my sting ray frame... When the fork turns all the way, it whacks the frame... Is there some kind of lock or block that people use to make it not hit the frame? It's making a nice little dent in my bondo tank.

TIA

Not too many options. Some guys put clear plastic tubing over the fork bars to protect the paint.

Some new bikes (Gary Fisher Simple City) have a spring that connects the fork and the frame together to keep the fork straight when not in use. No good pics of it.
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/series/simple-city/tech
19_tech_simplecity.jpg

Maybe something that you can attach to the fork that can rest on the ground when it's sitting and can be rotated and act as a fender while in motion.

Sounds like i do have some fabbing to do...

It's a basic custom lowrider frame that I'm converting to a cruiser... I'm running a 26" up front and it really throws the geometry off so the fork swings in hard if not supported... Especially with the original kickstand being way too low... Gotta figure that one out too.

I wanted to fab a fork stabilizer like motorcycles have but all the gas struts I've tried are way too strong. I think I'll try some return springs next.

Thanks guys.

I had the same problem with both my son's and my bike. You can't see it in the photos, which I suppose is a good thing, but I used an handle bar grip that I cut length-wise and slipped it over the frame where the fork would hit. It works perfect. I used to put it on when I parked it, but after a while I just left it on. I have only had one guy notice it was even there. Naturally, it worked with my bikes because they were black, but something clear would work too.

frameprotectel1.jpg

26lowcruise002ei1.jpg

Latest posts

Back