....Springer Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got this Higgy beehive

my 68 Sears Screamer , as found ( springer sissy bar too :wink: )

And this awesome Columbia springer ( for my Build off 8 bike )

1beaglebaby said:

Heres another adjustable leaf spring fork. Works good.

Ok, thought you'd found the holy grail of bicycle engines there......tiny little 4-stroke, 45 degree v-twin with exposed pushrods and intake ports between the V. I was about to beg you for info on it, but on closer inspection it's a dummy....cute but non-functional.

MHF

motorhedfred said:

cute but non-functional.

MHF
but doable :wink: that would make a cool end of classes machining project 8)

OneHorsePower said:
motorhedfred said:

cute but non-functional.

MHF
but doable :wink: that would make a cool end of classes machining project 8)

Maybe it's just because I want one so bad, but I have to think if someone would tool up to produce something like this @ 49cc and sold it for $300 or less, they'd have plenty of orders. I once had a Ryobi string trimmer that had a small 4 stroke with exposed pushrod tubes, removable cylinder and head that would have been a good starting point for a baby v-twin. I just never had the time or $ to make it happen.

Glad you like the faux motor!
Spent maybe four days makeing it! It is wood and some metal parts. Mostly wood! Wanted to see what i could create from scraps kicking around the shop.
Thanks!

OneHorsePower said:
not actually real , but could become ... its retro schwinn sprigner fork arms on Girvin parts , with rear MTB suspentions :wink:
Girvingercustomfork_zps6b2d84cb.jpg

This post also serv as a "Bump" :mrgreen:

Ok, maybe the word "dummy was a bit harsh in describing the little v-twin, but I intend to make it up to you with this post.....
This design is absolutely brilliant. It also made me do a double take and study it. At first I didn't see how it could provide any suspension but I see it now and it's great ! It even has some extra leverage to provide a decent amount of travel. Kudos brother.

MHF

motorhedfred said:
OneHorsePower said:
not actually real , but could become ... its retro schwinn sprigner fork arms on Girvin parts , with rear MTB suspentions :wink:
Girvingercustomfork_zps6b2d84cb.jpg

This post also serv as a "Bump" :mrgreen:

Ok, maybe the word "dummy was a bit harsh in describing the little v-twin, but I intend to make it up to you with this post.....
This design is absolutely brilliant. It also made me do a double take and study it. At first I didn't see how it could provide any suspension but I see it now and it's great ! It even has some extra leverage to provide a decent amount of travel. Kudos brother.

MHF
Thank's man ,i appreciate the compliment :p , i hope me or someone build it someday the see it in real 8)

oxeed said:
Here is my springer fork version.
moose_bent_lv38.jpg
i like how the geometry is familiar , but its done in a way i never seen before...
with the cross beam on the top of the fork that provide a nice place to mount a light and the way the suspension attache below the top pivot by a bracket so you can have a central swing harm ...Well done !

Nice design and well executed. I especially like the "dogbone style" links. You've designed a simple, clean and I'm sure stiffer fork by using those links.

Dogdart, or anyone else who can help....I have the third springer in this picture (the one with the headlight). I do not have any of the hardware for the lower section where the axle mounts. I'm sure the axle is meant to move up and down in those slots, but it must take some sort of bushings or something??? What do I need to make this springer work? Thanks!!!

dogdart said:

Tuco said:
Dogdart, or anyone else who can help....I have the third springer in this picture (the one with the headlight). I do not have any of the hardware for the lower section where the axle mounts. I'm sure the axle is meant to move up and down in those slots, but it must take some sort of bushings or something??? What do I need to make this springer work? Thanks!!!

dogdart said:

That's the same springer that I used for Flexy last year. You can see what I used for the bushing/spacer here.
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=56671&p=566976&hilit=springer+nylon#p566976

WP_002011.jpg

Thanks kingfish!!! Do you know anywhere that I could order those nylon nuts. They look like cutting board material. I could probably just make some that way! Do you think it would be beneficial to make them with a larger outer diameter so there's less play?

Tuco said:
Thanks kingfish!!! Do you know anywhere that I could order those nylon nuts. They look like cutting board material. I could probably just make some that way! Do you think it would be beneficial to make them with a larger outer diameter so there's less play?

Home Depot is where I got mine. This really isn't any slop since the pivot arms keep everything aligned. I have been riding Flexy for a year now and this setup has been perfect. Good luck.

junknutz1975 said:
this awesome Columbia springer ( for my Build off 8 bike )

is it just me or there is no spring action on this fork ? i dont understand how the spring could do anything if there is a support on top of it :?

Latest posts

Back