Springer vs Bent Springer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so would a bent springer on a cruiser might look a little strange? i like the stretched out look but not sure if the lowering will look right...

Might try searching in the bike gallery, I know several guys have put them on bikes. I have one on my daughter's 20" bike. Main thing you have to do is train yourself not to pedal while turning or you will scrape unless you switch to a shorter crank as well.

They look a little odd to me, but some guys really like them. They don't corner as well a conventional fork, even when you're not pedaling, but as long as it's straight, the ride is pretty stable. :|

I put a bent springer on my murray cruiser, but I replaced the spring with some beefy allthread so it was locked in position. I also raised the ride height to where I don't scrape the pedals. So I get the stretched wheelbase look, but without the weird handling and pedal scraping.
IMG_7589.jpg

IMG_7591.jpg

Doesn't the removal of the spring eliminate the bounce that springers are supposed to give?

The crown is sandwiched between a nut and the big wing nut, I set the height by moving the nut along the allthread, then tightening the wing nut. And yes, it does eliminate the bouncing, which was necessary to eliminate the pedal scraping. Plus, I bought the fork used (pretty sure it was an ebay special) and the spring bolt was broken, so I drilled it out and went to a bigger size allthread for strength. I was more interested with the stance than the ride :D

and really you could still put a spring over the all thread to have the same look without the bounce.

not a bad idea. i'd definitely sacrifice the bounce for the look. especially if the pedal scraping was eliminated.

and really you could still put a spring over the all thread to have the same look without the bounce.
i wonder if there's a way to stretch the spring or if they offer different spring sizes to still have the same look?

you might be amle to heat the spring and stretch it

I love the bent Springer on mine but as the previous poster said you must lock it out with all thread to prevent pedal dragging. With mine I don't pedal while turning. I kept my spring on over the all thread so it hides it.
f489ca11.jpg

dude is that a coors light tap shifter?! that's one gnarly rod you got there. still up in the air whether i'm goin for the straight or bent, but if i go bent i'll be doin this! thanks for the reply man!

also i'm diggin the dual lamps, what brackets are holding those on?

cave12man said:
dude is that a coors light tap shifter?! that's one gnarly rod you got there. still up in the air whether i'm goin for the straight or bent, but if i go bent i'll be doin this! thanks for the reply man!

also i'm diggin the dual lamps, what brackets are holding those on?

Why yes... that is a Coors LT tap shifter.

The lamps are mounted with some pipe clamps with the rubber padding. Got em at the hardware store.

i have no problems with scaping my pedals on the ground? (145lbs) and turning is more of a leaning motion versus turning the handleBARS.. haha. however.. i LOVE my bent springers.

bike2.jpg

this is my 26" "motorat" project.

Latest posts

Back