State 650b Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may want to check the top tube and seat tube length before you decide.

I’m 6’2. The roomiest bike i have is the red menace which is based on a cook bros cruiser. It has a high tensile taiwanese made steel frame and cromo fork. Its longer in the front triangle than a typical Schwinn cruiser. Paul may still have a few left.

The State klunker is a more modern bike than the red menace and possibly more suited to trails but to me it looks considerably shorter and i doubt i would feel comfortable riding it.

My favourite ride is my 2012 kos kruiser. I like its frame geometry best. plenty of room up front and a short back which makes it really responsive and easy to ride. Plus its a full cromo frame. Like the klunker you need to ditch the kiddy bmx bars it comes standard with.
I will find out on Monday what the top/seat tube is on the state klunker. Although it has bigger tires, him afraid that the klunker will Be about the same size. The top tube on my SE is 22.2".

I recently sat on one of their 29" bmx bikes, And it's like the bike was made for me. I'm 6'0ft with a 34' inseam. State Doesn't really list any geometry specs on their website. I find that annoying.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

20210508_115228.jpg
The black ones are back in stock at an interesting price of
$420.69.
Screenshot_20210508-115403_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just measured my State 48 Klunker top/seat tube at 22.5",it fits me great at 6,1"and some change.
Just a hair bigger than my SE bike. Until I got my bike a year ago, I hadn't ridden a bike in 20 years. So I guess this is how these bikes are supposed to fit so to speak. I bought it used.

I had my eye on a Hybrid type bike (Giant Sedona), until I saw this Klunker. I know I would probably end up bending the rims on the Sedona because I would try and jump something with it.

Last edited:
The kos is 22.75” but the bar is straight. I would measure the distance between the centre of the seat tube and head tube.

Wtp lists the 2018 avenger i have at 23.15 as it has a curved top tube but the actual distance is much less than that. I’m thinking of putting a layback post on it to get more room.

I like the 29 se bikes especially the 2021 Fast ripper. I’m not too keen on aluminium frames though.

I’m just an older bloke (54) with a preference for steel. I’ve had 2 aluminium bikes and find the ride harsher too.

both are about 8”. Bars on the avenger are inexpensive electra attitude. Avenger has top quality cromo truetorch longhorn cook replicas.

Coming from a freewheel bike, is it easy to adjust to a coaster brake?

Would it be easy to install a front brake on this bike?

I prefer freewheels but have no issue on my bikes with a coaster brake. Tektro make a great cruiser caliper that will bolt through the hole in the centre of the fork just like on my bike below. Works really well too and its inexpensive.
86843472-E665-4C7B-AE55-EE92168FE0B7.jpeg

I prefer freewheels but have no issue on my bikes with a coaster brake. Tektro make a great cruiser caliper that will bolt through the hole in the centre of the fork just like on my bike below. Works really well too and its inexpensive.View attachment 157005
Perfect! Thank you.

Does having a coaster brake cause a problem riding on mountain bike trails, i.e. is it more difficult? We're talking flat easy trails, not hard sketchy trails.

Last edited:
It makes you think a little more at first... Gotta plan your foot position in advance, can't just adjust on the fly, might apply brakes accidentally a few times. You get used to it, though. Not ideal, but not impossible. I do some light trails using coaster brake. Cruiser bars too, you don't need the latest and greatest tech to leave the pavement
IMG_20210325_123736084.jpg

In my opinion, the kickstand is more dangerous on the trail than a coaster brake

I just heard back from State Bicycle. Man their customer service is great! The top tube weld to weld, curvature of the frame not added is 23.7" or 603mm. The seat tube is 18" or 457mm. Little more room in the cockpit than I anticipated.

I've got 3 different people that want to buy my SE, so I'll definitely be picking up this Klunker.

I just heard back from State Bicycle. Man their customer service is great! The top tube weld to weld, curvature of the frame not added is 23.7" or 603mm. The seat tube is 18" or 457mm. Little more room in the cockpit than I anticipated.

I've got 3 different people that want to buy my SE, so I'll definitely be picking up this Klunker.

sounds good. I think the bigger wheels make the frame look smaller than it is. I’ve ridden light trails with coaster equipped bikes. matti is spot on in that you just need to think a little more.

I've done a couple big downhill rides on a coaster brake bike (with disc front). No issues from my pov either time, but on the second outing I was told by an experienced mountain biker that was with us that I was probably pissing off other mountain bikers. Locking up the brake generates a lot less heat than slowing...so most the time I was locking up the brake to slow down, but keeping locked to steer through turns. So, I was told that I was tearing up trails and not making any friends of those behind me.

So, my next 'downhill' bike will probably have some front suspension and no coaster brake so I can carry more speed and modulate my braking :blush:.

For light trail riding and urban bombing...coaster brakes are A-OK :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back