BO15 SteamRoller - Finished 1st THANKS!! - CompareTwinWinsVerBotenSteamRoller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do it!!!!! In fact, better yet, continue the copper silver to match the frame. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Thanks, no way do I have the time this week for the taping and painting that would take. Dental work starts tomorrow morning.

I forgot to post up the ensemble pics with the wheels yesterday.

View attachment 135034View attachment 135035View attachment 135036

I had been thinking about some coppertone accents on the wheels of some sort, but once I saw all of the painted parts with the wheels, I decided that the wheels need to stand alone without any highlights.

I decided a while back that I would use the last two of my South Park chess pieces and bring back another set of Kenny valve caps. The scale of the wheels is perfect for these.

View attachment 135037View attachment 135038

The orange would probably be fine, but I am going to hand paint Kenny's coat with the VHT Burnt Copper.

View attachment 135039
Stem caps are EPIC!!!:41:

Here are the ones I did on Fugsley

index.php

After dinner tonight, I figured I should get the handlebars sanded in case time and weather gave me a painting window for them.

20200824_194648.jpg

150 grit cleaned them up relatively quickly. Then even though it was around 820pm, fairly humid, and no primer on the bars, for some reason I figured I would go ahead and paint the raw bars with the VHT Burnt Copper. The alley is actually lit fairly well with street lights. So I rolled out the garbage cans and superstrut at an angle to take advantage of the lights.

20200824_202916.jpg

20200824_203734.jpg

I think I covered all of the angles of the bars well. How well the paint looks is yet to be determined. We'll see how it dries. I have a feeling that the silver metallic undercoat I had on the other parts helped them. It could also be the humidity, but I feel these might look a bit hazy when they dry. We'll see tomorrow. Worst case, they are a base primer for a silver coat for then another coppertone coat. :D I think all of us are looking for shortcuts every place we can find them :D

After work I pulled out the some of the parts to see how the bars looked. The paint on the bars was incomplete and a mix of semigloss to matte in the way it dried. Also, I think the silver metallic base coat that all of the other parts got, really helps the coppertone pop. So, lesson learned don't rush paint and skip prep.

With that said, I like the vibe of painting the bars coppertone. I shot some of the pics over to @Dr. Tankenstein to get his opinion.

20200825_170805.jpg
20200825_170943.jpg

He had asked me about grips earlier and I remembered that I had these light silverish gold flaky Western Flyer muscle bike grips that I got from @ozzynut2 years ago. I think these are the right grips.

20200825_171549.jpg
20200825_171555.jpg
20200825_171611.jpg
20200825_171712.jpg

After work I pulled out the some of the parts to see how the bars looked. The paint on the bars was incomplete and a mix of semigloss to matte in the way it dried. Also, I think the silver metallic base coat that all of the other parts got, really helps the coppertone pop. So, lesson learned don't rush paint and skip prep.
Looks awesome
With that said, I like the vibe of painting the bars coppertone. I shot some of the pics over to @Dr. Tankenstein to get his opinion.

View attachment 135244View attachment 135245

He had asked me about grips earlier and I remembered that I had these light silverish gold flaky Western Flyer muscle bike grips that I got from @ozzynut2 years ago. I think these are the right grips.

View attachment 135246View attachment 135247View attachment 135248View attachment 135249

The more we chatted the more parts I brought out for color and scale comparison.

20200825_172331.jpg
20200825_172527.jpg
20200825_172606.jpg
20200825_172620.jpg
20200825_172947.jpg

Like @Psychographic , Tank asked if I could tape up the half/half paint like I did on the frame. As you can see with these bars, there are so many compound curves going it, what may start as the top becomes the side, then may become the bottom. I don't want the bars to look like a candy cane swirl :D . But brainstorming got me looking at it differently. What if I paint it to mimic the guard and rack and not the frame????

So what I plan to do now is paint the bars with a silver base coat, then taped it off so that it has speed scallop darts on the side views

HERE

20200825_172954.jpg

and HERE

20200825_173104.jpg

So the sweeping front of the bars will be coppertone feeding into darts over silver around the stem and in front of the grips. This will also give more definition for the grips. Hey @Dr. Tankenstein , thanks again for another profitable brainstorming session.

20200825_173828.jpg

Well, now that I had a plan, what can I get done tonight? First off, I had to repaint the bars. Sanded them with 500grit, then painted them with gray primer.

20200825_180141.jpg

Then I looked at my Silver Metallic and realized I only had about 1/2 can left. Off to Home Depot #1 -FAIL , Home Depot #2 -FAIL, Lowes -SUCCESS!!! (Covid has caused a short stock of common colors at a lot of stores). Got home, sanded the primed bars. Puled out the trash cans and got them painted with the silver metallic base.

Oh yeah, and did I mention I did all of this after having 3 teeth extracted this morning and working the rest of the day at the office?

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to tape off the bars.

20200825_195043.jpg

SICK touch with the Grips! Getting close for a MOCK-UP Build :tmi:

No time for any more mockups!!!! Laying parts in a pile like this is the close as I can get to a mockup now. It's all the real deal moving forward!!

Glad you like the grips! Crank up some Aerosmith with @Jake Sensi

1598405367075.png

The more we chatted the more parts I brought out for color and scale comparison.

View attachment 135250View attachment 135251View attachment 135252View attachment 135253View attachment 135254

Like @Psychographic , Tank asked if I could tape up the half/half paint like I did on the frame. As you can see with these bars, there are so many compound curves going it, what may start as the top becomes the side, then may become the bottom. I don't want the bars to look like a candy cane swirl :D . But brainstorming got me looking at it differently. What if I paint it to mimic the guard and rack and not the frame????

So what I plan to do now is paint the bars with a silver base coat, then taped it off so that it has speed scallop darts on the side views

HERE

View attachment 135255

and HERE

View attachment 135256

So the sweeping front of the bars will be coppertone feeding into darts over silver around the stem and in front of the grips. This will also give more definition for the grips. Hey @Dr. Tankenstein , thanks again for another profitable brainstorming session.

View attachment 135257

Anytime buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question is did anything else 'consume' part of your brainstorming session?
Nudge-nudge- :wink1::wink1:

The bike is dope. I have a hunch about what happened with the girvin fork; looking at those comparison pictures, the spring looks to be too short. On your other bike, and most other bikes I've seen, they angle down. On this bike they were angled up or close to it. It may have been because of the long head tube, like you were thinking, that the spring was too short.

Latest posts

Back