BO15 SteamRoller - Finished 1st THANKS!! - CompareTwinWinsVerBotenSteamRoller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too tired to post the pics of the Harley fork, but this is what I am thinking of using instead of the Girvin.

20200617_201108.jpg

So....I see what you mean how the upper and lower Girvin brackets fishmouth back towards the head tube instead of the lower sloping forward like usual

Not enough meat on the head tube to shorten it significantly (even if you wanted to perform surgery)

Theoretical option would be engineering something to lower the pivot/mount on the fork side of the bottom plate to try to get the upper and lower plates close to parallel

That's a head scratcher :39::nerd:

weld on new dropouts for a mo betta mo room stance. or flip dem forks around...

GC.

weld on new dropouts for a mo betta mo room stance. or flip dem forks around...

GC.

Flipping the fork legs around on a Girvin actually makes that angle even worse because of the placement of the pivot points on the legs

Too tired to post the pics of the Harley fork, but this is what I am thinking of using instead of the Girvin.

View attachment 125923
You could also fab up some new arms for that Harley fork that would accent the style of the bike. About 30 feet of tubing and a pipe bender. I would make them up on cardboard and let a shop do the drilling and bending and crushing for me. In my case it wouldn't work and I'd have to redesign it two or three times. That why I would need 30 feet of tubing! :bigsmile:

Bummer about the fork but at least you didn't have an ugly crash (especially if the chicks were watching). I've grown so used to seeing the Girvin on there that I'll probably have to relearn several major life skills while I adapt to seeing the new fork.

So....I see what you mean how the upper and lower Girvin brackets fishmouth back towards the head tube instead of the lower sloping forward like usual

Not enough meat on the head tube to shorten it significantly (even if you wanted to perform surgery)

Theoretical option would be engineering something to lower the pivot/mount on the fork side of the bottom plate to try to get the upper and lower plates close to parallel

That's a head scratcher :39::nerd:

Yeah, lengthening the steer tube would not help at all. It would require re-engineering the both upper and lower swing arms without negatively affecting the proper function of the fork. I have no desire to attempt that.

Bummer about the fork but at least you didn't have an ugly crash (especially if the chicks were watching). I've grown so used to seeing the Girvin on there that I'll probably have to relearn several major life skills while I adapt to seeing the new fork.

It was ugly enough. I am lucky I didn't have hardly any speed at all, but the bike still pretty much did a 90 degree front wheelstand instantly. I just pretended that I was doing some cool flatland bmx trick for the chicks.

I know what you mean about the visual of the mass of the Girvin up front. especially with the 20+ pages of mockups I have of this setup. It is etched in my brain too. :D :D

I didn't have much time before sundown last night, but here is a fork that I tried that was a quick NO. I have this TSP fork (which is actually called a Demon fork :D ), that I tried because it has a long steertube and was easily wide enough for the wheels. It just isn't right for this build at all.

20200617_200155.jpg
20200617_200203.jpg

I didn't have much time before sundown last night, but here is a fork that I tried that was a quick NO. I have this TSP fork (which is actually called a Demon fork :D ), that I tried because it has a long steertube and was easily wide enough for the wheels. It just isn't right for this build at all.

View attachment 125949View attachment 125950
That is a cool fork though :thumbsup:

I love this Indian/Harley fork that I picked up last year and it was an obvious fork to try next.

1592489821310.png

It is not without issues with this frame though. You can see in this pic that the headtube is so tall that it uses all of the steertube to install this fork for a mockup (and there aren't even any bearings in for this test.

20200617_200859.jpg

This doesn't even leave any threads for the top nut

20200617_200903.jpg

Or the upper springer yoke.

20200617_200938.jpg

So for mockup purposes I slapped on some of them fancy threadless stem spacers thingies and squished them down with a quill stem to hold the upper fork yoke on.

20200617_201118.jpg

20200617_201108.jpg
20200617_201304.jpg

20200617_201311.jpg
20200617_201318.jpg

I put the bars on. The fork has good visual mass balance with the build. I can see that seems to have more rake than the headtube here. I may be able to correct that by spinning the steertube lower yoke around so that the pivot is on the back edge of the tube.

20200617_201734.jpg
20200617_201742.jpg
20200617_201826.jpg

The spring on these replicas are notoriously weak. I do have a RUFF Cycles spring that I can use to beef up the fork a bit with some slight mods.

20200617_202149.jpg

I did lay this triple tree fork on before sundown, just to get a general vibe for it. It could be used with no mods.

20200617_202321.jpg
20200617_202351.jpg

I love this Indian/Harley fork that I picked up last year and it was an obvious fork to try next.

View attachment 125951

It is not without issues with this frame though. You can see in this pic that the headtube is so tall that it uses all of the steertube to install this fork for a mockup (and there aren't even any bearings in for this test.

View attachment 125953

This doesn't even leave any threads for the top nut

View attachment 125954

Or the upper springer yoke.

View attachment 125955

So for mockup purposes I slapped on some of them fancy threadless stem spacers thingies and squished them down with a quill stem to hold the upper fork yoke on.

View attachment 125957

View attachment 125956View attachment 125958
View attachment 125959View attachment 125960

It does have good visual appeal. Just needs a little slice and dice and steerer tube extension

I see what you mean about the rake

Latest posts

Back