Stingray Classic at Walmart for $88! Not the new style!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was checking the ads on http://bfads.net which lists a bunch of the black friday ads and found this! :arrow: http://bfads.net/Schwinn-Classic-Sting-Ray-Bicycle-at-WalMart
can you believe this a Schwinn Stingray for $88 its not listed on WalMart.com
Has anyone else seen this deal? I know its not the same as a vintage stingray but would make a great bike to Hot-Rod or just ride as is!
i_1195372271_BFAdsWalmart200740-1194946432.jpg

LOL..... what a piece of Junk! That bike is UN-COOL in the MAX!

"Schwinn" as being sold today is not the Schwinn we grew up with. Bicycles being sold under Schwinn name at WalMart are produced by Pacific Cycles..... and are (in my opinion) the lowest end of the "Quality Scale". THAT bike is no more related to the original Stingrays or Krates than I am to the Pope. The originals were VERY well-made, with high quality components. These new Walmart bikes can't even come close.

I guess if you LIKE low-end, chinese-made bikes that fall apart..... then you might want to buy one. OR if you are dumb enough to think that Arnold, Schwinn and Co still makes them... then you might want to buy one. But if you have even the slightest idea of what true COOL and Style is, or even the smallest amount of knowledge about "quality of manufacture", you'll never be caught dead on such a machine.

In bikes, like anything else, you get what you pay for. If it only costs $88, then you can be assured that it's crapola. Any person thinking of buying this bike would be better served by taking the same $88 and buying a decent quality bike at a flea market or garage sale, and fixing it up.

Why the insulting tone TornadoDave? He was just pointing out a bike on sale.

someone rattled daves cage with the knock off schwinn from china. lol

I wasn't meaning to insult the person posting this thread.... I am sure that they posted in good faith. If someone wants to buy such a bike then they are free to do so. I promise... i won't even laugh out loud as they ride by on one. (I might snicker a bit, though)

But at the same time, a person considering such a bike should understand what they are buying.... which is a low-end piece of junk. They should understand that a Pacific Cycles 'Schwinn" is NOT the same as an original Krate or Stingray.... not even close. The originals were fine bikes. These new ones from China are not.

These low-end bikes being imported by the millions from China are of extremely low quality, AND the general public is buying them because they do not understand the difference between a good bike and junk. Then when they fall apart, the buyer gives up on cycling.... and the entire sport is hurt... OR the bike fails at a critical moment, and causes an accident.

At the same time, these Walmart / Pacific Cycles bikes flood the market, hurting the local Bike Shops we depend upon for our parts.... and we then express dismay when the "Old Neighborhood Shop" goes out of business. This hurts EVERYONE, except of course Walmart.

Soooo....was I insulting? To the person posting the original thread.... no. ( At least not intentionally.) If i was then i apologize. Was I insulting and/or unfriendly to Pacific Cycles and Walmart? I certainly hope SO!

LOLOL thats funny!

but hey for 88 bucks!!!! how can you go wrong? The springer alone is over 50.....last I saw, we are just riding the bike not beatting them up on the BMX track! I belive both my 7 and 9 year old would be hard pressed to do much damage to one of them......

Now it you are an adult who is 5'7" or taller and over 100lbs......well then ya! the bikes going to come apart it was not designed for you!

The gage metal that are fathers used post war is nothing like the metal gage we use today .....hands down...

Thanks for the heads up on the bike.....there are some kids in the bike club who would love to get there hands on a few of them!

FW

Here is the thread from Schwinn city...

http://www.schwinnbike.com/heritage/sho ... hp?t=50996

For $88 bucks ya can't beat it...or you CAN beat it and not worry about wrecking a 'priceless classic'.

The chinese Schwinns aren't that light weight...I weigh 280 and road my 06 purple sting-ray and a 06 Grey Ghost (approx 40-50 miles each) this summer without issue. On May 24th weekend, the Purple sting-ray was exposed to several of my full grown adult trailer park drunken friends and lived through several memorable crashes that are still making stories around the camp fire. No breakage (of bike). I would doubt these came off a 'lesser' production line than the 06 repo's...but maybe?

Wish they were in Wally-world Canada...you could make some fun 'projects' out of one of them.

P.S. Don't show Hugo...

Can't find them on the Canadian site/flyer...let me know if you find any diffrent!!! I'll grab a couple and next May 2-4 everyone in the gang can crash one :mrgreen: ahhhhh memories of Victoria day weekend.

I have two stingrays I am restoring/Kustomizin I know about quality I am quite familiar with Stingrays.
Chinese bikes have come along way from the Huffys of my youth with their awesome smashed together dropouts. and fork ends made by smashing the tubes shut and drilling a hole for the axle. (I would never have been caught dead on a Huffy and never owned one by the way) Ya this thing may not be as good as a vintage but do you know where I could find a vintage Stingray that is brand new condition ready to rode for 88bux? I never got the chance own a fresh out da box stingray so this is as close as it gets for me.
I will be buying one of these and beat the living piss out of it while I am restoring my stingrays. Maybe a documentation should be in order to chart just how crappy these things are? OR better yet some sort of mad max drag race rampage across the desert me on my walmart hooptie and you on your NOS vintage Stingray snob machine to prove just how inferior this bike is. By the way my current ride is a Schwinn mtn. bike 150dollar walmart special that held up just fine to riding 25 miles a day dropping off 10 foot ledges and whatever else I could throw at it.

The quality on everything these days stinks. Most new stuff has junk plastic and parts are not built to last. A freind's daughter has a OCC/Schwinn and a month ago, I had to take the seat to work and weld the seat post back on the pan. And since she parks it outside a lot, ( I serious objected too!) I drilled some holes to drain water that was causing bad rust under the seat. Did someone overlook this when they desighned the seat? And the chrome is CRAP! Not just on this bike but my WCC/huffy and a lot of the other bikes that kids leave around here. Sorry, but even after all this I'd still plunk down my $88 to ride one for a couple of months, then pass the hacksaw! :mrgreen: BTW, if they're from china, did anyone check the paint for lead? :shock:

bigredddaddy said:
BTW, if they're from china, did anyone check the paint for lead? :shock:

Just don't put the bike in your mouth :mrgreen:

I say the more lead the better! Maybe it will keep the crappy Chinese steel from rusting.

I despise Walmart & all the Chinese products flooding our market these days, but as long as we keep some perspective...yes, they're inferior, DUH! but is there a really a better new bike for $88??? As Krates old & even the inferior imported new ones continue to climb in value, mass marketed $88 Chinese bikes get kicked to the curb in suburbia the first time the front tire needs to be inflated and the rear brake caliper is outta whack...then crazys like us drag them home, sometimes with visions of freakbikes dancing in their heads, other times to make a quick nickel on the CL or a charitable donation or just to keep precious steel out of the landfill...point is, I am sick of Walmart, but I'm even sicker of finding crapola mountain bikes & bmx's in the trash--gimme a phony Schwinn cantilever frame any ....... time. To put it in musical terms, does anybody with a clue think a new Squier is equal to a vintage Fender? An officialy licensed cheap copy of a classic design is still at least a replica of something that looks cool...

If I lived in the US I would pick one up, it's not so much money, it's an awesome design and if you do brake it, tha parts from it would be awesome for another bike! I don't mind Chinese or asian stuff, you get what you pay for, and the factories makes workplaces for those who need, though they may contribute to other factories closing down and other people loosing their job...

I do use lead on my frames ISO bondo, but then paint over it. I stopped chewin' it a few years back, made me real tired and....what was I saying?

i agree that the quality sucks but if my local wally world has them i plan on getting 2 reason is my 2 older kids like the look of the krates i can't afford "real" krates for them to beat on. I was planning on building them fake krates (out of china crap) anyway but for $88 it's all put together already. So anyway that's my reasoning take it as you will.

its funny first thing i thought when i read the tittle of this post was "wonder how long before the guys on the schwinn collector forum find out about this "rare" bike." sorta reminds me of my old hotwheel collecting days thinking some cars were rare then i thought again. even treasure hunts there are a ton made and everyone that bought one keeps them as collectable. then i turned to ratting bikes :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back