Stingray Classic at Walmart for $88! Not the new style!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
o so now we're tryin to break up steves marriage?!?!?!?

ahaha
j/k

Some of you are finding some great deals! our wal mart had a rack with 4 stingrays at christmas and when my wife went in the next week to buy mine they were gone. they ended up taking down the display and putting them back in the warehouse! so i got my bike and the rest are still in the back. i just hope they have a bunch for some of the prices here so i can get more. :D

Couldn't be bothered to read the entire thread, but I wanted to give this observation. Have you ever seen how badly many children treat their bicycles? Why spend big bucks on a bike for a little kid? Get them something cheap. When they leave it in the front yard to get stolen then it's not a huge financial loss. The bad thing is that the Chinese manufacturers can make high quality stuff, but seem to make things intentionally junky, that seems weird.

Why lower the quality so much? how much money do they actually save by going to the effort to redesign things to be inferior? Can you buy any normal(excepting high end exotics) bike anymore that has nothing from china on it? Practically all manufacturers have something from China on there bikes.

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

This is my favorat thread, it's so entertaining! Anyhow, I never got one, I was hoping to snag a clearenced boxed up one but we've dried up here. So as I said before, I'll be watching garage sales........and keep a stock of hacksaw blades handy. :mrgreen:

You guys who cant get any BFK's should call wal marts main headquarters (1-800-wal-mart) and they may be able to send them to your local store. :)

i got a black one for my birthday & went back yesterday for a blue one and said i also wanted green. the manager just shrugged his shoulders so i called the # and they are sending one to the store for me in 3-5 days & also sending me a $10.00 gift card to make up for the inconvenience! :p

I just lucked into this thread...last year our Walmart had about 5-6 of these on the rack for $39 Each...Black ones and Blue ones...I couldn't resist and bought a Blue One...It's cheap, yes, but it rides nice...

man if i ever have the money and i see one of these at my local wally world.. im buying it. not to ride.. but to take parts off of it. all these put-downs about the quality i agree with, so the main thing to fail is the frame. so thats what id do if i wanted to buy one. 8)

LOL. My 12 year-old son and I were walking through Wal-mart this past year when we stumbled upon 2 of those Stingrays. My son's eyes friggin' lit up! Being a chip off the old block, he's a huge retro nut, so he was all over this thing. Both of the Stingrays on display were black, and both were marked down to $59! So, of course I bought them. I'm 42, have actually OWNED real Stingrays back in the day, as well as some other awesome/now-vintage bikes. So, yeah, I was very aware of the overall marginal quality of these imported 'reissues'. Still, $59??!! Duh.

....Oh, and some folks here are calling them 'junk', and that they'll 'fall apart'. I think that's a bit of a stretch. I own/have owned high end bicycles (Cannondale, Klein, Giant, Gary Fisher, Trek, U.S.-made Mongoose, etc.), and EVERY ONE OF THEM have required repair and/or routine maintenance from time to time. I'm no huge fan of anything imported from the Orient (including automobiles), but safety is safety, quality control is quality control, and a bargain is a bargain. Pacific Bicycles might as well be Toyota, Scion, or Kia for all I care. Anyone here in the Northeast ever seen the sheetmetal on one of these imported cars after about 8 or 10 years of salt-garnished winters?? OK, I'm getting sidetracked.

That said, and having alienated about half of the readers.....

Within an hour of purchasing our new Schwinns, my boy went to wrenching on his Stingray right away, tweaking handlebar angle, seat height, etc. Within minutes he was slamming 15 foot full-coaster-brake skids like nobody's business.......well, I guess I coaxed him a little. Sure made me proud to see him enjoying his new Stingray just as much as I enjoyed mine 35 years ago.

Me? I upgraded my Chinese Stingray with a set of wide-whites....cheater slick in the back, skinny in the front.....a full-sized 20" front wheel, removed the front fender, lost all of the reflectors, except the rear. I'm 6'2", 200 pounds, and after about an hour of tweaking, adjusting and snugging of fasteners, the bike is solid, comfortable and a pleasure to ride. Feels like a much more expensive......albeit, Chinese......bike. :lol:

Mike

S5000900.jpg

its ok mike, im an avid defender of my bratz kmart special. i think im pretty much fighting my own alamo on the subject.
that being said, my wally world has never had any bfk's grace the shelves i am still so disapointed!

I don't care if that thing was 5 dollars. I'll never set foot in a Wal-Mart.

They're the Imperial Death Star of retail

voodoo curse said:
I don't care if that thing was 5 dollars. I'll never set foot in a Wal-Mart.

They're the Imperial Death Star of retail

I hear ya. I've struggled with this for years, and in the end, I have to agree. I still purchase all of the high dollar items from other reputable retailers, but Wal-Mart is just too convenient when I need toilet paper, Excedrin, and......well......$59 Stingrays. I'm so ashamed. :|

Mike

Thats what I have. But its black and has a tall sissy bar and a headlight and some dice 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

this cheap chopper/muscle bike at least doesn't have much ugly modern details as most I've seen like mtb stems, fake banana seats, fat frame tubes and lots of plastic add ons. I would probably get one for sure if it was available that cheap here! would be fun to mess around with, add/ subtract parts etc.

Missed one of those at the Flea market. Guy wanted 50 and I was 10 short. Went to bank and when I got back it was sold.

Latest posts

Back