Stitch -aka (Spaceliner Newbie) Done- Another Lesson Learned

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oh No! From the deep woods comes the ultimate newbie! Wet behind the ears, I will attempt to turn a rusted patina Sear Spaceliner that I purchased for $40 dollars into a diamond....or perhaps a cubic zirconia. Whatever! I have plans to rid my garage of numerous junk ( and a few bike parts) and attach it to the bike.

Here is my 4o dollar Spaceliner!

Re: Spaceliner Newbie!

Cool, another liner!
Wicked patina on that one.
Love those frames.
Welcome to RRB and BO8
Good luck

Spaceliners are cool. Arguably the very first mountain bike frames were inspired by the spaceliner, since they had twin tubes running the length of the frame too, as a means to stabilize a longer wheelbased frame. In the late 1970s Joe Breeze built ten frames for the "klunkers" of Marin county and before long the entire bicycle industry took notice.

Check out Charley Kelly's website and watch the "Klunkerz" movie if you haven't already.

http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

kentercanyon said:
Spaceliners are cool. Arguably the very first mountain bike frames were inspired by the spaceliner, since they had twin tubes running the length of the frame too, as a means to stabilize a longer wheelbased frame. In the late 1970s Joe Breeze built ten frames for the "klunkers" of Marin county and before long the entire bicycle industry took notice.

Check out Charley Kelly's website and watch the "Klunkerz" movie if you haven't already.

http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

Cool site, but I would say that those Breeze bikes were more influenced from Mixte frames than a Spaceliner frame.

Probably so... Mixte bikes by Peugeot must have been fairly familiar to folks by the mid 1970s. I'm fascinated by how LITTLE back and forth there was between early Mountain Biker components and early soCal BMX culture. They seemed to somewhat develop separately considering how much they really had in common.

Glad to see another Spaceliner here...check out my Spaceliner build in this section! It has been dubbed "raceliner".

Stoked to see where this one goes

kentercanyon said:

Funny you should mention that. I grew up in Marin County in the sixties and received a deluxe Spaceliner for my birthday in '65. That Spaceliner took me exploring all over the hills and fire roads in Marin long before the clunker/mtb was a glimmer in the eye of guys like Joe Breeze or Gary Fisher (springer fork and spring seat... it was the perfect fire road weapon, in my mind). Then we moved away. LOL... who knows, if we had stayed in Marin, it might have been my name on the first mtb brand. :lol:

I'm in the process of restoring a Spaceliner now to its former glory, so I can relive those memories.

I have tore this bike down to the frame and I see a space in this Spaceliner that needs to be filled. So I have made a template....perhaps I need to make more templates and think of other possible ideas for this. Hmmmm.

That is a pretty slick idea. I don't remember seeing anyone do that with a Spaceliner yet.
I LIKE IT!

I have been thinking about the colors for the bike and I have decided to go with a gloss black for the frame, rims and chain guard. Handlebars and other misc. are going to be copper.

Last week I was cleaning and rearranging my garage. If you have seen the tv show hoarders then you can imagine my garage. I had to toss out alot of junk that I was keeping for some stupid reason but I did find a few items that I will attempt to add to my spaceliner.

…This looks like my new kickstand.

Hmmm…This looks like a possible headlight.

I did get a chance to remove the patina off the bike and add a coat of primer to the frame and the forks.

I hope to have something all mocked up by this weekend.

Like that light houseing and Nice paint rack! I cut a hole in my garage ceiling and dropped a chain thru :lol:

MrLeghorn said:
I have tore this bike down to the frame and I see a space in this Spaceliner that needs to be filled. So I have made a template....perhaps I need to make more templates and think of other possible ideas for this. Hmmmm.

Yargh...I was flirting with this idea on Raceliner.

Love the kickstand.
Is this gonna be a Caddyshack build?

Love the spaceliner frames! I've built one myself & seen others built & no two are alike in a modified form. Great choice! 8)

I say, I say, boy, this thing ain't evah gonna fly if you don't post any updates.
What's new with your liner Foghorn Leghorn?

My appologies from being away, I have many excuses.
I have been watching the other builds and I am blown away by the creativity, the talent and the fantastic extra bike parts everyone has just lying around. I feel some pressure to be creative and not sure of posting my next future failure. But I am having fun with this! I have planned to go cheap with this build but that ended quickly with tires and new rims. This is where I am at with the frame witing to be painted.

Latest posts

Back