Stitch -aka (Spaceliner Newbie) Done- Another Lesson Learned

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stitch - aka (Spaceliner Newbie!) Done!

Good one ! :lol:

Re: Stitch - aka (Spaceliner Newbie!) Done! Add MM

GREAT IDEA BUT I HOPE YOU CHECKED THE PRICES OF THEM.YOU COULD BE SITTING ON SOME MONEY.

Jake Sensi said:
GREAT IDEA BUT I HOPE YOU CHECKED THE PRICES OF THEM.YOU COULD BE SITTING ON SOME MONEY.

He got you Jake!
That aint the real deal. :p

I'm Crazy! but not crazy enough that I would use a Mickey Mantle rookie card in the spokes of a bike. Muhahahaha :D :D :D

Re: Stitch - aka (Spaceliner Newbie!) Done!

Came together very well.

I can predict you having a heap of fun here with that standard of building and eye for something different too.

Re: Stitch - aka (Spaceliner Newbie!) Done!-Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by a Newbie!
1. Test fit everything.
2. Mock up a rolling/riding bike before paint.
3. Don't assume new parts will fit onto old parts (see #1)
4. Don't paint everything. Painting bolts, nuts and washers is tiresome.
5. Never use an old broomstick to hold up your bike when painting. (page 4)
6. Never rush painting.
7. $$$ - Spend what you are comfortable with spending. Cheap is okay.
8. Use anything -You can use your wifes finger nail polish or a gatorade bottle.
9. Never rush to assemble. Bad things happen when you drop, scratch or break parts.

10 ????
Am I missing anything?

Rule Number One
HAVE FUN!!!!!

MrLeghorn said:
I'm Crazy! but not crazy enough that I would use a Mickey Mantle rookie card in the spokes of a bike. Muhahahaha :D :D :D
HEY YOU NEVER CAN TELL. STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED. YOU COULD'VE BEEN BRUCE WAYNE ERGO YOU DIDN'T CARE ABOUT MONEY BUT CREATE RAT BIKES!! YEAH. THAT'S THE TICKET.

Jake Sensi said:
MrLeghorn said:
HEY YOU NEVER CAN TELL. STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED. YOU COULD'VE BEEN BRUCE WAYNE ERGO YOU DIDN'T CARE ABOUT MONEY BUT CREATE RAT BIKES!! YEAH. THAT'S THE TICKET.

I true collector can always tell, for one the picture is way too vibrant and clear to be original, also the corners being crisp like that without a single crease is always a BIG red flag.

Gotta love is when a self-professed "newbie" jumps into the mix and does something never seen on a Spaceliner and then proceeds to hold his own in the top ten during the voting!!! Congrats and good luck!!!

kingfish254 said:
Gotta love is when a self-professed "newbie" jumps into the mix and does something never seen on a Spaceliner and then proceeds to hold his own in the top ten during the voting!!! Congrats and good luck!!!

Newbie to the site doesn't necessarily mean new to bike building. I know I have only been on the site a few years but I have built bikes for over 20 years. I still feel like a newbie at times especially during the build off.

outskirtscustoms said:
kingfish254 said:

Newbie to the site doesn't necessarily mean new to bike building. I know I have only been on the site a few years but I have built bikes for over 20 years. I still feel like a newbie at times especially during the build off.

I agree and was just using his own term. Foghorn's skills are self evident. It's more of a case of an unknown wildcard joining the fun. There was a lot of new blood this year, which is awesome in my opinion.

Another lesson I have learned from this build is the importance of the final photography.

I may have overlooked it, but what paint and or technique did you use for the copper paint? The bike looks great...everything ties together, innovative and very tastefully done.

WillisFL said:
I may have overlooked it, but what paint and or technique did you use for the copper paint? The bike looks great...everything ties together, innovative and very tastefully done.
Thank you! With the handlebars or anything that was originally chrome, I used a fine sanding sponge first then steel wool (#000). I then used self etching primer on everything I was painting. Back again to the steel wool, then several coats of Copper spray paint that I purchased from an Ace hardware. I tried Rust Oleum but was unhappy with the spray nozzle, I then followed with couple coats of clear. I like how the bike turned out but painting everything was a pain. Also the Spaceliner frame is not a easy frame to paint, too many tough areas to shoot paint into without getting runs everywhere. I was planning on adding more pinstriping, some white and maybe some red, but changed my mind in the last couple of weeks. My next bike will perhaps go in a different direction, maybe lots of patina.

FL

Latest posts

Back