Straightening fender struts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How's it done? I always seem to have at least one strut on a new purchase that has some sort of kink, or even worse a "s" curve, in it. Hammer the two sides together to flatten it and then respect them?

How's it done? I always seem to have at least one strut on a new purchase that has some sort of kink, or even worse a "s" curve, in it. Hammer the two sides together to flatten it and then respect them?
I own a propane torch heat your metal have a vise a ball peen hammer and take your time heat the metal sloooooooowly you don't want it cherry just good and harm over time trail and error you will get the touch there hasn't been a fender strut that I can't fix and make straight the real crooked or bent ones will diffinently need to be just under cherry to fix use the edges of your vise the jaws as you would say and if your vise has flat area on the back side that helps for the flat part of the strut finally I purchased a plate of steel 30x36 1/4 inch thick for my work bench to have a real flat surface to see all is square and if all fails send them to me I can fix anything.

I agree a propane torch helps a lot when trying to straighten the fender supports.

One trick I've learned is to get them to basic shape they all have almost the same curve. I have a piece of 4x4 I carved a grove into and lay the piece in it then I have a piece of metal I ground to fit the inside of the metal and hammer to get the basic shape back.

Latest posts

Back