Stray Cat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The old switcheroo, so I started this diddy called BONINE with a purpose; build a bike using nothing but dumpster fodder for a good cause. It was called the Congo Jammer and here's the link:http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/stray-cat-the-cats-ready-to-prowl.83324/ or here's the short version of that journey.
Donors: Wallyworld Next sheila bikes X2

13906351359_300da61a23_m.jpg
14031248899_f3384c8e28.jpg

A couple of gentlemen from my church thought I was crazy and didn't think I could make anything worthwhile out of junk bikes, obviously they've never visited RRB! They followed my progress said they were impressed; again, they've obviously never been to RRB.
Once the build was done I handed it over to them and the organizers of the fundraiser called Congo Jam; an event to raise funds and build a school for missionaries serving in Kafubu Africa. It was the second chopped up build I'd done and I missed riding it so I started a new build for myself not intending to put it in BONINE, but I figured why not?!
14401827953_6b5d72bb94.jpg

Enter Stray Cat
14820484854_31bd97e60c_c.jpg

Since I was building this one for myself I had two simple rules:
  1. One - Low/Slammed
  2. Two - Bobber Style
I needed a theme for the bike and as I sat on a 5gal. bucket staring at my really thin stash of frames consisting of nothing cool, historic, valuable or vintage...Brian Setzer was haunting my garage with his HooDoo VooDoo and "Bamm!!!", the feline Casanova strutted into existence.

Here's what I was staring at:
14260518307_bf03181f74_z.jpg

I wasn't about to lose the only old school element of my frame, the twin cantilever down tubes, and they were making it impossible to have a one piece chain.
14432085736_0d68b687a6_z.jpg

I came up with a cheapo solution to the problem, a 10 speed sprocket joined with a single speed hub.
14614226106_1bff2c1030_n.jpg

Since it's name sake honors one of my favorite Rockabilly songs written by a legendary rocker with a equally legendary Pompadour I had to honor him with Apes of equal height...
14637060974_aed8215ff8.jpg

The last need for me was to keep the apes shaved with no dangling wires, smooth and clean like like a Setzer riff. I kept with the Bobber action and made a foot brake and a shifter in clean fashion between the twin bars.
14814405105_ea815f4e12.jpg
14834223143_8468b3c46c.jpg

I straightened, filled, and bobbed the old dented fender to wrap up the style. Threw on an old blue dot to make it look legit and this cat's ready to Prowl.

14812011894_369cb29ed0.jpg

14811933624_ac8b7ce1af_z.jpg

It's comfortable at any speed, and one day this cat will have a cool coat reminiscent of one of Mr. Setzers gretsch guitars but for now she looks like an alley cat look'n for a fight with plenty of cat class and cat style!

Last edited:
The old switcheroo, so I started this diddy called BONINE with a purpose; build a bike using nothing but dumpster fodder for a good cause. It was called the Congo Jammer and here's the link:http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/stray-cat-the-cats-ready-to-prowl.83324/ or here's the short version of that journey.
Donors: Wallyworld Next sheila bikes X2

13906351359_300da61a23_m.jpg
14031248899_f3384c8e28.jpg

A couple of gentlemen from my church thought I was crazy and didn't think I could make anything worthwhile out of junk bikes, obviously they've never visited RRB! They followed my progress said they were impressed; again, they've obviously never been to RRB.
Once the build was done I handed it over to them and the organizers of the fundraiser called Congo Jam; an event to raise funds and build a school for missionaries serving in Kafubu Africa. It was the second chopped up build I'd done and I missed riding it so I started a new build for myself not intending to put it in BONINE, but I figured why not?!
14401827953_6b5d72bb94.jpg

Enter Stray Cat
14820484854_31bd97e60c_c.jpg

Since I was building this one for myself I had two simple rules:
  1. One - Low/Slammed
  2. Two - Bobber Style
I needed a theme for the bike and as I sat on a 5gal. bucket staring at my really thin stash of frames consisting of nothing cool, historic, valuable or vintage...Brian Setzer was haunting my garage with his HooDoo VooDoo and "Bamm!!!", the feline Casanova strutted into existence.

Here's what I was staring at:
14260518307_bf03181f74_z.jpg

I wasn't about to lose the only old school element of my frame, the twin cantilever down tubes, and they were making it impossible to have a one piece chain.
14432085736_0d68b687a6_z.jpg

I came up with a cheapo solution to the problem, a 10 speed sprocket joined with a single speed hub.
14614226106_1bff2c1030_n.jpg

Since it's name sake honors one of my favorite Rockabilly songs written by a legendary rocker with a equally legendary Pompadour I had to honor him with Apes of equal height...
14637060974_aed8215ff8.jpg

The last need for me was to keep the apes shaved with no dangling wires, smooth and clean like like a Setzer riff. I kept with the Bobber action and made a foot brake and a shifter in clean fashion between the twin bars.
14814405105_ea815f4e12.jpg
14834223143_8468b3c46c.jpg

I straightened, filled, and bobbed the old dented fender to wrap up the style. Threw on an old blue dot to make it look legit and this cat's ready to Prowl.

14812011894_369cb29ed0.jpg

14811933624_ac8b7ce1af_z.jpg

It's comfortable at any speed, and one day this cat will have a cool coat reminiscent of one of Mr. Setzers gretsch guitars but for now she looks like an alley cat look'n for a fight with plenty of cat class and cat style!
You said it best: CAT CLASS & CAT STYLE. Excellent build.

I hate that you built two cool bikes in the time that I built one, but I am also glad that Stray Cat is your entry. This bike is low, bad, and fun all at the same time!

Both great bikes, which one are we voting on?

Luke.

Thank you very much and Stray Cat is my entry.

You said it best.....
Thanks 2dawg, after hours and hours and for that matter decades the songs stuck in my head, the build just cemented it there.

I hate that you built two cool bikes ......
Means a lot coming from you Kingfish! Thanks

Very cool bike,the shifter is crazy...
Thanks, how could I go wrong with a corvette shift knob....

Stray Cat is an awesome bike, 100%. Good job, my friend.
That means a lot, thanks!!

Love it!

Frank
Appreciate that!

Deuce, I love this bike! You nailed it my friend. :rockout: Can't wait to hit the boardwalks during Cruising the Coast this year.:banana:

That cat is strutting!! You Rocked this town!!
Thanks Jake Sensi....I can never get tired of Stray Cat puns keep'em coming!!!:rofl: And I'd always want Gears of War at my back when I head out "Howl'n at the moon, look'n for a fight..."

Deuce, I love this bike! You nailed it my friend. :rockout: Can't wait to hit the boardwalks during Cruising the Coast this year.:banana:
You said it Bummer...It'll be so sad when we take the attention away from those Gold Chainers and their new cars won't it!?:cool2:

IT Rocks Cool bike great job.
every thing about it is cool.:cool::cool::cool:
Thanks Randy da Rat! Great Avatar by the way!

I just saw your really cool foot brake and hidden shifter cables, very cool!
14811879154_22750d8cc6_z.jpg

Thanks for noticing, the chrome piece is a chain guard off a throw-away Mountain Bike, the metal came from the goose neck off the black bike and the same bikes derailer offered up the spring loaded perch, works great!

I'm just plain grateful for that GSC. Building something for yourself in the public arena is new to me. To say the least it's a lil off putting,nerve-racking and adrenalin rush all at the same time. Thanks again for looking.

Latest posts

Back