BO15 Stretch chopper bobber thingamajig

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone!

I need to build a seat for it before I weld in the bottom bracket. I want to make sure I have my seating position dialed in before committing to bb placement. It’s going on top of the gusset not in the hole.

Bottom bracket height is good, I should have about 3” clearance between pedal and ground.

ef5d81ac7eb3dfebce781daa70eca83a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone!

I need to build a seat for it before I weld in the bottom bracket. I want to make sure I have my seating position dialed in before committing to bb placement. It’s going on top of the gusset not in the hole.

Bottom bracket height is good, I should have about 3” clearance between pedal and ground.

ef5d81ac7eb3dfebce781daa70eca83a.jpg

Carry on and ignore me then, I totally understand getting the seat placement first before dialing in the rest. That is gonna be cool perched on there.

Started working on a seat pan today. I’m using a scrap piece of aluminum that used to be the top deck on my xtracycle. Made a pattern, cut it out, then threw it on my fancy sheet metal bender.

I’d like to get the seat built, upholstered and mounted before continuing on with bottom bracket mounting and handlebars.

8c7d3b11e01e47e3d750ce091079c08e.jpg

So it looks like your frame jig is just a piece of steel that has some square bar with holes takes to it on one end? There hasn’t been a picture of the entire length.

So it looks like your frame jig is just a piece of steel that has some square bar with holes takes to it on one end? There hasn’t been a picture of the entire length.

Yes the main tube is 4” x 4” x 8’ long. Very hard to take a complete picture in my cramped and small shop. I choose my wheelbase measurement and weld the sign posts in position and build from there. I use pieces of allthread as dummy axles to set hub spacing and center bike to tube. Sometimes I tack weld the bike directly to tube if necessary or as i did with this bike I’ll weld on pieces of steel to keep tubing in position. This technique requires LOTS of measuring to ensure proper alignment.

Yes the main tube is 4” x 4” x 8’ long. Very hard to take a complete picture in my cramped and small shop. I choose my wheelbase measurement and weld the sign posts in position and build from there. I use pieces of allthread as dummy axles to set hub spacing and center bike to tube. Sometimes I tack weld the bike directly to tube if necessary or as i did with this bike I’ll weld on pieces of steel to keep tubing in position. This technique requires LOTS of measuring to ensure proper alignment.

Very cool, thanks for the explanation

Did I miss the construction of the seat pad? That looks awesome! Can we see some more views of it before it gets affixed to the pan, please? :nod: :wink1:

Did I miss the construction of the seat pad? That looks awesome! Can we see some more views of it before it gets affixed to the pan, please? :nod: :wink1:

I didn’t post pics of the construction of the pad because I’m not happy with the results! Its going to get a redo so I will definitely document my process and share it.

I initially thought you were building a coffin tank from the pic. That is gonna be a slick nanneresque seat!

I initially thought you were building a coffin tank from the pic. That is gonna be a slick nanneresque seat!

I looked at the foam that I cut out for the seat and I was thinking it looked like a coffin tank. Thanks, with the green cover on it looks a lot like a banana seat, almost too much like one so I’m making a few minor changes.

Finding a fender for this beast has not been easy, I’ve seen lots of motorcycle fenders that had the look i want but not the radius or the price tag I’m after. Bicycle fenders aren’t strong enough to use as my seat support. With no real sheet metal tools, making one wasn’t really an option. Ive used flat trailer fenders for motorcycles in the past and a local supplier had a pretty good price on one that I thought would work with a bunch of modifications. So here’s what i started with.

1646024ce0820c947d5c38bb85f6e24a.jpg

Latest posts

Back