stuck quill stem bet you all heard this!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wqq15w.jpg

got the bolt out and the wedge is NOT jammed inside, managed to get the lockring and cone unjammed from it too......but the stem is immobile STILL

soaked it in greasy grease but its not having it.
ive tryed claming the forks and turnin the bars (didnt wanna go 2 far they were on the verge of a bend)
also tapping and hitting various bits with a mallet

BAH!
any ideas?
i have no vice or other big ... tools
except me

Everybody's approach to unsticking a 40 year old something or another, is to
squirt something oily in and start twisting and beating. The rust inside makes getting
something between a little longer process. Squirt PB blaster...WD40 ...trans fluid
in the part and let it sit for a couple days while you play with something else. Sand
fenders....or bang out dents . In a few days with repeated oiling the part will come apart.

cman said:
Never heard of the water Technique. Does it just soften all the corrosion?
Yes I didn't believe it when I saw it posted on here by someone else. I had a stuck neck tried everything else, wouldn't budge then tried this and it worked.
Thought maybe it was a fluke. The next one I tried water only and it worked great. I guess it's true the cause is also the cure.

water! ?!?!?!!?!?!?

now, how could i get it to sit in the neck of the stem (as you can see tha large hole at the top! :p

Wow, I never would have thought to use water.

It's a bit counterintuitive, don't ya think? But it works.. water also takes rust off chrome, .when used with a green scotch brite pad. Doesn't fog the chrome either

i think im havin a minor breakdown here,

water?

but serriously :p ill go tape it up now and have a go, how long you reckon for? i feel if i put water in there itll make the rust worse.

Maybe try wax in the hole to hold the water in? I havn't tried it, so if it ruins your paint its not my falt!
Water works great. I brew apart an early 40s cwc last weekend. It was fairly rusted. I laid it down in the back yard and turned the garden hose on it. In about an hour it was completely apart. Even those pesky fender and chainguard bolts came out with ease!

:O

very nice
ill go give it one last attempt then get some water on it

cheers guys you will know soon if i am successful!

veyqdt.jpg

abglef.jpg

water it is then!!!!!

seriously guys nice 1 that wasnt even 5 minutes (i got bored) decided to give it a yank and it sprang apart and i almost fell over

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'll file this one away for later use!

My last one was on my Monark that refused even the most brutal attempts that I could think of including torches and cheater bars. Ultimately I triumphed after cycling PB Blaster through it daily for a month!

Latest posts

Back